Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
True Elaen!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2013, 3:24pm

Views: 99
Shortcut
True Elaen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that's why I said "apparent" servility. Knowing the book and the character better now, I realise that Sam is not servile and, in fact, takes a pride in his care of "Mr Frodo", which he undertakes often to the the exclusion of all else. I think the "class divide" seen among the Hobbits can be uncomfortable to modern day readers, just as it was natural to Tolkien. As we know, although the book was published after WW2, much of the conception was before this time. The war changed everything in terms of social class, servants etc, accelerating changes which had begun after WW1.
I have to smile at ideas of "relative poverty" as in the case of Mabel Tolkien. It reminds me of the many examples elsewhere in literature eg Sense & Sensibility and a number of Dickens' novels, whereby a family are still considered as being "poor" despite having a live in servant and a reasonable sized house. Many "humble farmhouses" of the past are now considered very desirable properties indeed!

Things have changed! And I would guess being of American culture also may put a bit of a roadblock in the way for some as well.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Subject User Time
Notes from a small library geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 13 2013, 8:21am
    Here's another one - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 13 2013, 8:39am
        I cannot say how much that quote delights me Geordie...! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 13 2013, 5:35pm
        That's Golden! demnation Send a private message to demnation Jul 14 2013, 3:26am
    Those thesauruses have a nasty bite...and about Sam - Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 13 2013, 6:01pm
        I think Auden may have mistaken Sam's attitude to Frodo as servility geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 13 2013, 8:13pm
            That seems very likely as well Geordie Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 13 2013, 9:48pm
                Tolkien well recognized and understood that some people would be annoyed by Sam Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jul 14 2013, 12:07am
                    Yes Hobbit 'vulgarity' did annoy him sometimes! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 14 2013, 12:36am
                    Tolkien recognized that Sam was a more complex character than that, I think - geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 14 2013, 5:07pm
                        I don't think those two letters are inconsistent Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jul 15 2013, 3:29am
                            Changing perceptions CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jul 15 2013, 12:31pm
            Well, I'm in good company then! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jul 13 2013, 10:33pm
                Sam wasn't servile. geordie Send a private message to geordie Jul 14 2013, 9:48am
                    I agree... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jul 14 2013, 12:33pm
                        True Elaen! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 14 2013, 3:24pm
                    A different time and culture to today Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 14 2013, 3:22pm
        It's all very interesting demnation Send a private message to demnation Jul 14 2013, 3:34am
            Agreed Demnation - Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 14 2013, 3:13pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.