Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Do you ever start crying when talking about LOTR?

Junesong
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 3:04am

Post #1 of 22 (667 views)
Shortcut
Do you ever start crying when talking about LOTR? Can't Post

I tried to tell a friend the other day why I liked the books so much (compared to the movies) and referenced the part when Frodo and Sam are talking about stories in The Two Towers - in the movie this part is played as a nice, comparatively light outro as Frodo and Sam walk towards Cirith Ungol at the end of the film- whereas in the books it is one of the most emotional powerful passages.

As I got to the part where Frodo is saying "Don't forget about Sam" and how brave he is etc and Sam thinks he's joking but Frodo tells him he's not, I started to get choked up. I actually couldn't finish telling him the story and he looked at me like I was from mars.

I ended by just clearing my throat and telling him he had to read the books.

Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

PS - I also cry during the books every time I get to the Eomer throwing his sword in the air during the battle of Pelennor Fields (as well as that part in the movie when I think of how lame that battle is in comparison)

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 11:26am

Post #2 of 22 (404 views)
Shortcut
Not while talking [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm careful not to talk about the more...special parts; I know myself too well. But I definitely do get quite emotional when I read certain parts, mostly in RotK. When Sam thinks that Frodo has been killed by Shelob, and Frodo and Sam in Mordor I have to read in my room with the door shut. Laugh

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 2:20pm

Post #3 of 22 (403 views)
Shortcut
Yes Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ride of the Rohirrim gets me every time. So does Aragorn's death and Sam's "star of hope moment in Mordor.. But then, I cry at the drop of a hat both reading books and watching movies. As an example of how bad it is, I cried during Paul Blart Mall Cop and if you have seen it you know which scene did it.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:39pm

Post #4 of 22 (352 views)
Shortcut
no but I cry when I watch the films [In reply to] Can't Post

but bits get me every time.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 12:11am

Post #5 of 22 (340 views)
Shortcut
Not when talking [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I do get emotional during certain parts throughout the novels and films. The part where Frodo and Sam are talking about tales for instance, gets me every time, in both book and film.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jul 13 2013, 2:45am

Post #6 of 22 (326 views)
Shortcut
Not when talking about it persay... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I cried inconsolably when I first saw ROTK in theaters. I lost it after the part where everybody bows to the Hobbits and didn't stop crying throughout the rest of the movie. I felt such a sense of loss, that I wouldn't get to see Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry on anymore adventures...

Occasionally I listen to the soundtrack and get emotional. The music that plays as the Ring is destroyed and Barad-Dur tumbles (the theme is called Gondor Reborn, I believe) is beautiful, and the music that plays as Frodo departs for the Grey Havens is also quite poignant.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:10am

Post #7 of 22 (316 views)
Shortcut
When talking about it, not so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

When reading it or watching it, yes. The Grey Havens scene gets me every time, whether it's reading it or watching it (in fact, it might be worse watching it, because then it has that wonderful music that tears your heart out).

The Ride of the Rohirrim also ties with the Grey Havens - continuing up to the end of the next chapter with, "Grey now as tears, gleaming silver/ Red then it rolled, roaring water/ Foam dyed with blood flamed at sunset/ As beacons mountains burned at evening/ Red fell the dew in Rammas Echor." Possibly the most heart-breaking description of the price of war I have ever read anywhere.

The sudden reversal from despair to hope on seeing the standard on the black ships and Eomer's toss of his sword is possibly the most memorable and moving part for me out of that whole sequence. It's a crying shame that that wasn't in the movie (but then again I think the movie shortchanged Eomer in a lot of ways, but that's a rant for another day).

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

cats16
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 3:34am

Post #8 of 22 (324 views)
Shortcut
Internally...a little bit ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I try not to put myself in that spot where I'm making it awkward for someone who has no idea what I'm getting emotional about. Usually, I just talk about the general aspects of the book and don't speak of the aforementioned parts of the story.

To add another moment from the book on top of those previously mentioned here, I'd definitely have to say one of my biggest teary-eyed moments is the book-version of the "Last March of the Ents" after deciding on war. When I begin to read the lyrics of their 'to-battle' song, I'm overtaken with emotion. It's just so sad and awe-inspiring and...lots of emotions lol! Cool

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 3:36am

Post #9 of 22 (321 views)
Shortcut
A silly thing [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw FOTR in the theater, having read the books endlessly, I knew perfectly well that Gandalf comes back. But seeing the grief of everyone in the Fellowship when he "dies" almost made me sob in the theater, and I was embarrassed. How silly is it to cry for a character you know isn't dead? But I think it's because the grief is underplayed in the book and much more intense in the movie, especially when Merry & Pippin, ever so jolly, are clinging to each other while broken down in tears. That's the scene that kicks me in the gut.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 3:41am

Post #10 of 22 (337 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand [In reply to] Can't Post

How about scenes that are so happy that you have trouble describing them? I tried and failed a few times to explain to people why I feel such an adrenaline surge when Rohan comes to Gondor. Reading it out loud, I can get the shivers. "Horns, horns, horns...Rohan had come at last." The impression that made on me in my 1st read has never left me, but I certainly can't describe it to people.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 13 2013, 4:20am

Post #11 of 22 (326 views)
Shortcut
That's hard to put into words [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How about scenes that are so happy that you have trouble describing them? I tried and failed a few times to explain to people why I feel such an adrenaline surge when Rohan comes to Gondor. Reading it out loud, I can get the shivers. "Horns, horns, horns...Rohan had come at last." The impression that made on me in my 1st read has never left me, but I certainly can't describe it to people.

I agree. Unless you are speaking to a fellow fan.

I know the part that gets me every time in the book, and I can't recite it out loud - Théoden and Merry: "As a father you shall be to me!" "For a little while."

And Snowmane's outpacing all the others - love how they show that in the film too, Snowmane right out front. Somehow chokes me up, brave King and his equally brave horse charging into death.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:37am

Post #12 of 22 (319 views)
Shortcut
That one is hauntingly sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the part that gets me every time in the book, and I can't recite it out loud - Théoden and Merry: "As a father you shall be to me!" "For a little while."

On my first read, I thought it was sad, not even knowing what would happen to Theoden. It showed such a profound abyss existed between perspectives: youthful, innocent Merry and weathered, eyes-on-death Theoden. The simplicity of his reply shows Theoden is accepting what's coming to him. He was one of the characters I liked the most, and when he died, it was a blow to me. I flipped ahead through the next few chapters to see if he would come back somehow like Gandalf had (no such luck).

So to reread it now it's always sentimental. Theoden faced his fate with a great deal of grace and dignity (hello, Denethor?), while remaining courteous to someone he had no need of (hello, Denethor?). Also, when Merry says that it hits me that he's the most isolated one in the Fellowship. Pippin has Gandalf, but Merry has no one. Though I guess that the "father" was meant in more of a feudal sense of "Sire," it seems that Merry must be lonely and thinking of family at this point, reaching out to connect with anyone. Very generous of Theoden to indulge him!

The writing is impressive: Theoden could have given a long soliloquy, or at least said something longer and more flowery. His simplicity is brutally sad.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 11:11am

Post #13 of 22 (304 views)
Shortcut
Its [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo's grief-stricken little face that does it for me.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 22 (291 views)
Shortcut
while not talking about LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

well not while talking about LOTR but when I watch it I find myself choked up at parts they cranked the emotions up to eleven in ROTK

The ending of FOTR
Sam's speech in TTT
Pippin's song
Ride Of The rohirrim at Pelennor Fields
Gandalf talking to Pippin about Death
Aragorn's speech
Gimli & Legolas talking about dying with a friend
Sam talking to Frodo on MT.Doom and carrying him
The end of ROTK
The Grey Havens

in the scene where Gandalf talks to Pippin about death when the filmakers descibed it to Ian Mckellen he said "I know what to do" that's awesome he was like "I got this" lol

RangerLady23
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 4:45pm

Post #15 of 22 (296 views)
Shortcut
Not when i'm talking but man [In reply to] Can't Post

when I watch the movies and see Frodo and Sam on the lake by Amon Hen or see Elessar's coronation or especially the ride of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith... boy do I cry. And watching the special features and seeing how much everyone put into these movies of themselves and the close comraderie between cast and crew, not to mention how much everyone appreciated Tolkien's work, I feel tears running down almost as soon as I start watching and they just keep on. It's times like this that I realize how very much I love these movies and books and all they mean to me. Middle-earth is truly where my heart resides.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 14 2013, 12:56am

Post #16 of 22 (299 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree, CuriousG [In reply to] Can't Post

"Rohan had come at last." The cock crowing just as Gandalf is confronting the Witch King is an amazing touch, and then the horns beginning. How many authors can manage such an original "sound effect" in prose? And it gets me again later when Pippin reacts to the horns: "And never in after years could he hear a horn blown in the distance without tears starting in his eyes."

I seldom talk with people about the specifics of LOTR, apart from the monthly Tolkien discussion group here in Madison, Wisconsin. But I know I could never get through reading those passages out loud without at least a quaver in the voice. There are some other passages like that, e.g., the paragraph describing the destruction of Barad-Dur as seen by Sam and Frodo after they emerge from Mount Doom, ending in : "And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds, tearing the clouds asunder, the Nazgul came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out." We've waited so long for that moment, and Tolkien comes through with an amazing scene.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 9:10am

Post #17 of 22 (265 views)
Shortcut
I think Tolkien said he got emotional about the horns of Rohan, too - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I know that in an interview he said he actually wept when he wrote the Field of Cormallen.

As for me; there's a lot in the books which brings a tear to the eye. I like it when Rosie says to Sam, 'They told me you were dead, but i've been waiting for you since the Spring. You haven't hurried, have you? Now go and look after Mr. Frodo - Why'd you leave him just as things are looking dangerous?'

Then there was one time when I was talking to our son about when Sam said to Frodo, I can't carry it (the ring) but I can carry you! - and I said how that was one thing which Sauron could never begin to comprehend.

Sauron was brought down in the end by the love of one small creature for another. W.H. Auden looked at this aspect in his paper 'Good and Evil in The Lord of the Rings'. he says that while Galadriel, Elrond and gandalf can all imagine what it would be like to claim the Ring, and become evil; Sauron had lost the capacity to ever imagine being good. Sauron's lack of imagination led to his undoing.

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 12:55pm

Post #18 of 22 (254 views)
Shortcut
Like many others here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't usually cry when talking about LOTR, but during book and films- yes definitely. And on listening to some of the score too.
Particular moments? - too many to list them all but-
1) Boromir's death (film) - I loved it in the film- especially the withdrawing of most of the sound and just letting the choral lament play over it (For me, the book rushed this part rather)
2) Horns of Rohan and Ride of the Rohirrim- book, film and score!- wow, this gets me every time- I'm not surprised that thereafter Pippin weeps at the sound of horns blowing in the morning (sorry, can't remember exact quote). Major spinal shivers!
3) Frodo & Sam struggling towards Mount Doom both book and film- especially the "I can't carry it for you but...." lines
4) Field of Cormallen- I can understand Tolkien having tears when writing this part. I so wish it could have been included in the movie. When the minstrel starts to tell the "Tale of Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom" , echoing Sam's earlier words, and Sam starts crying, so do I!
5) When Eowyn finally sees the light and realises that she returns Faramir's love.
6) The Grey Havens- especially in the book when Frodo explains to Sam why he has to leave Middle-earh and how badly he has been hurt by the quest

And many many more- I'd better go, before my keyboard gets all wet!

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 14 2013, 7:43pm

Post #19 of 22 (225 views)
Shortcut
So many people responding to this thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

...mention the Ride of the Rohirrim, the battle of the Pelennor, and "red fell the dew in Rammas Echor", that I don't need to add anything. Suffice it to say this material blew me away when I first read RotK at the age of 16, and now, several decades later, it still blows me away. I thought then that Tolkien's prose was the finest I'd ever read and I still do. And believe me, there's nothing else from my adolescence that still speaks to me so profoundly!

The movie version has the benefit of the wonderful soundtrack and is a great scene, but the book-version is written on my heart. In fact, I'm tearing up just writing this note.

Not to say there aren't a lot of other heart-rending tear-jerking passages/scenes in the LotR books and movies---heavens, I fog up when movie-Arwen has the vision of her son, something that isn't even in the books (nor does it need to be, but that's another discussion.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 2:19am

Post #20 of 22 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings has been my respite for so many years, I can't help but get emotional when talking about it... but only when I'm talking with someone who "gets it". Who understands the beauty of Tolkien and how much his stories mean to me.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Junesong
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 2:39am

Post #21 of 22 (216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the responses folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to know I'm not alone! As a book firster I can honestly say that I've never cried watching the films but I was terrifically moved by a few scenes - namely Gandalf facing the Balrog, the opening wide-shot fall of Gandalf and the Balrog in Moria from TTT when the choir is singing and the part in ROTK when Gandalf raises his hand and white light against the Nazgul.

But the books literally get me every time I read them - or listen to the audiobooks - once I was weeping freely at a bus stop listening to the part where Eomer sees Eowyn on the battle field. Just some great stories.

Glad to be a part of this fan family.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

demnation
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 3:05am

Post #22 of 22 (237 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

During the books and films of course, but also when I try to explain to people how much these stories mean to me.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.