Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Premise of The Hobbit.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 8:22pm

Views: 955
Shortcut
Premise of The Hobbit. Can't Post

I was thinking of the films' premise for the journey to Erebor as primarily
an attempt at reclaiming the homeland as opposed to reclaiming lost treasure.
I think the treasure is an impetus for the journey. It's not merely the reclamation of lost
empty halls that they seek Erebor. Rather, it is the hordes of treasure residing in those said
halls and the Mountain's enduring capacity for generating wealth that begs their return. Otherwise, why the
struggle to retake Erebor from the dragon? Neither does it seem to be a matter of mere pride for them.
It's the capacity to self-righteous wealth that ultimately matters, imo.

Does the premise of the films obscure the reasoning behind their zeal for the mountain? I think possibly the films skirt
the issue of treasure, other than to point to it as a putative invitiation to Smaug and destruction. This may be
the message interpreted of The Hobbit, but are the films supposed to absorb this interpretation into the presentation of the story
to an audience? Instead of the story concerned with giving a narration, the receivers with interpretations of said story are in turn
presenting the story to another set of receivers in the audience. That is, the audience gets mere interpretation of revelation rather than
revelation in which to 'interpret.' Hence, what is to be felt, how to interpret it, what to focus on is given rather than narration more toward
the 'as is' end on the story-telling continuum.

I mention this because I was curious of the headlines appearing in the trailers for these movies and have been curious
as to the approach of marketing and thus framing of the films' story. I immediately thought of the prologue narration and the speeches
of Gandalf in Rivendell and Bilbo's two speeches toward the end. In your opinions, are these speeches and headlines potentially despatching
the life out of this story? Thoughts?

Also, the characters and the presentment could be accurate, but i'm not sure whether it's absolutely important to agree with characters or presentation per se, but
seems important that one might believe the characters and story. THoughts?

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Jul 13 2013, 8:26pm)

Subject User Time
Premise of The Hobbit. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury Jul 13 2013, 8:22pm
    Different motives Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 14 2013, 2:23am
        I was musing Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury Jul 14 2013, 3:06am
        They were especially venal under the influence of Great Rings and Dragon Sickness, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 14 2013, 9:49am
            Wonderfully stated AinurOlorin Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 14 2013, 3:32pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.