Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
interesting article on "atheists"

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 13 2013, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 13 (300 views)
Shortcut
interesting article on "atheists" Can't Post

I'm fascinated by every aspect of religious belief, including non-belief, and I found this article really interesting. I thought I'd post it because so many people (not saying people here mind you!) hold ideas about atheists/agnostics that I think are a bit . . . stereotyped?

I'm a #3, Seeker-Agnostic, myself.

http://www.salon.com/..._in_america_partner/

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (206 views)
Shortcut
Not a really varied group... [In reply to] Can't Post

...almost everything in that group requires people to argue with others about religion. I don't believe in anything, I'm not agnostic, but I have no problems with others believing in some sort of religion as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. I grew up in a very religious area of the country, and I was a Christian as a child...but then I stopped believing by the time I was in college. Do I have friends of other religions? Of course. Do they know my beliefs? Not many do, because I don't talk about it to anyone but a select few. I don't like the stigma that comes with it, honestly. And there's absolutely nothing that I'm going to say to someone that's going to change their mind...as there is probably nothing that will change mine (I prefer the evidence of my own eyes, really).

I live a very moral life...I've never been in any sort of trouble at all, and I teach my children to do the same. I try to help others as much as I can, just because I think it's the right thing to do. I send my daughter to a Lutheran preschool because it's nearby, and they aren't overtly religious. But I don't mind her learning about it, because she will have to deal with it one day...and whatever choices she makes when she's older are hers to make.

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?" ~ The Doctor

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jul 13 2013, 3:38pm)

Elutherian
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:39pm

Post #3 of 13 (204 views)
Shortcut
Something tells me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the person who wrote the article is a believer of some deity or another.

I'm an Atheist. My family is not. Most of my friends are not. We all get along just fine.

I think Atheists are finally being accepted by modern society. I do hope stereotypes don't hold us back..

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:47pm

Post #4 of 13 (196 views)
Shortcut
I also wanted to add... [In reply to] Can't Post

That I think there is a lot of progression between the types. I can see myself at different points in my life in those different groups. Now that I am older and more comfortable in myself, I am more of an amalgam of those 6 different groups.

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?" ~ The Doctor

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 13 2013, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 13 (190 views)
Shortcut
I can see that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I think they underestimate the percentage of people who never think about it. I'd say half my own family falls into that category and I know a lot of people who are that way. If you press them, they might align themselves with believers or nonbelievers, but really, it's just not an issue in their lives.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 4:31pm

Post #6 of 13 (188 views)
Shortcut
I lived in Japan for a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it's so different there. Many people follow the shintoist/buddhist traditions religiously, but it's not a part of their everyday lives. They use it when it's necessary (birth, death, marriage, etc), but then it doesn't ever come up after that. A sense of community is what binds them, and there's a strong family togetherness. Sometimes it's a detriment (shaming your family), but it shapes their sense of morality. I think after that, I was much more comfortable with my feelings toward religion, as well as enjoying our traditions, religious or not, as ways of being part of the community. I celebrate Easter and Christmas with our family, and cherish them in a different way.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 7:07pm

Post #7 of 13 (171 views)
Shortcut
I don't like the stigma that comes with it [In reply to] Can't Post

Theres a stigma? Thats a serious word...

What your nationality if you dont mind me asking?

You mentioned lutheran schools so probably northern europe or usa right?

I thoroughly enjoyed those CHitchens debates, they were fantasic.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 7:44pm

Post #8 of 13 (158 views)
Shortcut
I'm from South in the USA [In reply to] Can't Post

...right in the middle of the Bible Belt, so it's something I never talk about when I'm there. I now live up North in the middle of a Catholic country, but people really don't care as much about it here, so it's not an issue. When I grew up in the South, I was told by two of my teachers that I would go to Hell for supporting my gay friend. My great-grandmother was a brimstone and hellfire Southern Baptist, and all she ever talked about was the reckoning. So yeah, there's definitely a stigma attached to it down there. My dad's family was Lutheran, but my family was Presbyterian and Baptist, so I know all of those very well.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jul 13 2013, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 13 (193 views)
Shortcut
My own belief has been somewhat muddled for some time... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never ceased believing in a higher power, but I definitely don't subscribe to any religious affiliation. There's a line from the film 'Kingdom of Heaven', spoken by David Thewlis' character, which pretty much sums my attitude up:

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness."

I don't really know where that places me, but it's what I've been most comfortable with. As for my attitude towards others' religious practices (or lack thereof) - my general feeling is that, so long as you don't impose your own belief system onto other people, you can believe whatever you want.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 13 2013, 8:05pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 3:24am

Post #10 of 13 (135 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness."

Anything made by man is imperfect. I believe in God, but have no faith in religious institutions. Its a good creed to live by and parallels the Golden rule.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jul 15 2013, 9:53pm

Post #11 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
Detecting a slight bias in that article [In reply to] Can't Post

The overall sense of "Just who are these non-believers?" and the later mention of people choosing to "abandon" religious faith (some never had it to begin with) definitely makes it seem like the article has a bias. But I suppose that's not so bad if the author is trying to understand and educate others about the subject.

In any case, I think I'm halfway between Seeker-Agnostic and Activist. I have a fairly open mind about spiritual issues and never wanted to commit to complete non-belief. We don't know for sure and there's no way to really prove the issue one way or the other. I'd rather decide for myself what I believe instead of aligning with an organized religion.

That said, I become very much an activist if someone tries to use religion to infringe on the rights of others. If someone wants to, for example, deny civil rights to gay couples or teach Creationism in public school science classes, that crosses a line for me. I can become very passionate and combative about my agnostic beliefs in those moments.

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jul 17 2013, 6:23pm

Post #12 of 13 (47 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bless her, and her need to categorise!

I find articles like this bizarre, since most of my friends are atheists of one flavour of another. I do know *some* religious types of course, but of my everyday social circle I'm struggling to think of more than a couple.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jul 17 2013, 6:26pm

Post #13 of 13 (46 views)
Shortcut
But I should point out [In reply to] Can't Post

that isn't because I have sought out an 'atheist social circle' (do they actually exist?). It's just that for some reason, being under 30 and into alternative music in Nottingham seems very likely to mean you have no real religious belief...

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.