Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit Audio Book?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

teargift
The Shire

Jul 6 2013, 2:40am

Post #1 of 28 (350 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Audio Book? Can't Post

I want to try something new, so after reading glowing reviews, I ordered The Lord of the Rings BBC Dramatization in order to give audio books a try. Is there a comparable audio book for The Hobbit? I cannot find a version rated as highly as the Lord of the Rings. I am grateful for any guidance.

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 6 2013, 4:20am

Post #2 of 28 (221 views)
Shortcut
Rob Inglis [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd recommend The Hobbit audiobook as read by Rob Inglis. I like it, but it's not a dramatization though (it's unabridged), just so you're aware. He's got a great voice, is able to create distinct voices for most of the characters, and I love how he interprets the songs in the book.

(This post was edited by bungobaggins on Jul 6 2013, 4:24am)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 6 2013, 7:59am

Post #3 of 28 (205 views)
Shortcut
Nicol Williamson [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd highly recommend listening to his (abridged, admittedly) recording of The Hobbit. The original LPs are now very rare but you can listen to the whole thing on YouTube.

With only his own vocal talents Williamson brings the whole thing to life and his rendition of Smaug is just *perfect* in my eyes.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 2:59pm

Post #4 of 28 (190 views)
Shortcut
I actually like the BBC Hobbit too, [In reply to] Can't Post

The voices are kind of funny and take some getting used to. Especially Bilbo.

Permanent address: Into the West

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 28 (185 views)
Shortcut
I actually prefer the Mind's Eye dramatization of 'The Hobbit'... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to the BBC one. I like most of the main voices (Elrond is a bit odd) even if many of the accents aren't really correct. I also really like the rendition of the Dwarves' "Misty Mountains" song from this version.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 11:55pm

Post #6 of 28 (175 views)
Shortcut
I think the accents are one of the main reasons I don't care for the minds eye version very much, [In reply to] Can't Post

I love British accents for things that I perceive to be British.

The Mind's eye version of The Lord of the Rings is especially difficult for me ...because for example Aragorn sounds as if he is a cowboy from the south. It's just a personal foible that that sounds all wrong to me, I admit. I know I really shouldn't mind, after all, he is a Ranger. Evil

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 12:40am

Post #7 of 28 (158 views)
Shortcut
A bit too American for you, huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. While Aragorn certainly doesn't sound British in the NPR/Mind's Eye version of LotR, I've never detected any sort of southern drawl either. On the other hand, I've had a similar experience with thinking that Elrond seems to be from Atlanta or thereabouts in the U.S. audio drama of The Hobbit.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 12:56am

Post #8 of 28 (203 views)
Shortcut
a cowboy from the west... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just went and listened and I see what you mean. But it sounds like a western accent to me, not southern.

Does anyone know who this voice actor is, that is... and particulars on him? (Tom Luce is the name...)

I only ask because I was watching the 2nd (and last) season of Fairly Legal and there was a new character. He had a noticeably kind of flat American accent I couldn't quite place. It didn't exactly sound midwestern and I wasn't sure if it was western. I looked him up and he was Australian! So he was doing an American accent. I wonder if Tom Luce is a British actor trying to do an American accent but not quite understanding what *his* American accent would evoke. It's always seemed to me that, back in the day, affected accents were never realized with much success though. They've gotten a lot better. Sometimes I can't tell that a non-American actor's natural accent is not American.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 3:50am

Post #9 of 28 (155 views)
Shortcut
That's funny, and sooo subjective. I remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

Going to Canada for my honeymoon 36 years ago, and having some Canadians thinking I was from the Deep South because of my drawl -- and here's me, an Indiana gal, born and bred. Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 3:57am

Post #10 of 28 (158 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit surprised to find that Ohio was essentially a southern state. At least the southern end of it was. I mean, the northern end is just a stone's throw from Detroit!

I would wager Indiana has some southern vibes going on in its southern half, too.

I remember driving through Indianapolis. I remember being very impressed with the Veteran's Memorial ... as we drove past it. :-)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 3:59am

Post #11 of 28 (148 views)
Shortcut
Come again, Magpie! You'd be very welcome./ [In reply to] Can't Post

teargift
The Shire

Jul 7 2013, 7:39pm

Post #12 of 28 (132 views)
Shortcut
I'm leaning this way [In reply to] Can't Post

After listening to some snippets, I think I will start with the Nicol Williamson version. I guess I really don't have to choose, however. Why not enjoy each one in its own right in due time? Thanks so much, everyone, for ringing in.

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

(This post was edited by teargift on Jul 7 2013, 7:44pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 4:42pm

Post #13 of 28 (117 views)
Shortcut
I lived in both Florida and Indianapolis [In reply to] Can't Post

When I'd come home to visit in Michigan, family would accuse me of having an accent unique to each region!!!

"I BEG YOUR PARDON! Just because I had to rent a y'all-haul to get back home?"

And when I tried ordering some "pop" to drink, both regions looked at me like an alien from the North! *sigh*

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 4:48pm

Post #14 of 28 (114 views)
Shortcut
I agree! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fun to see what each production does with their own spin on the story. I love the youtube copy because you can hear the noise of the needle on the vinyl. RETRO-WONDERFUL! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 4:55pm

Post #15 of 28 (119 views)
Shortcut
Martin Shaw's narration of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

is also rather wonderful. I find myself listening to that one the most. I'm such a chipmunk, I find I prefer to listen to Inglis' version at a faster speed ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 28 (107 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know Martin Shaw had done the Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to look for that.

He did the Silmarillion, which I have on cassette tape, and I tried to listen to it, but I never finished it.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 11:36pm

Post #17 of 28 (99 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure he did... let me know if you find that's so // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shaw reading the Sil puts me out like a light! haha...

but I seem to retain parts of it so if I listen to it over and over again, things stick in my mind.

Do you remember Smeagirl/Girllum's posts?: Why it is taking me years to read the Silmarillion

Patty
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 12:26am

Post #18 of 28 (100 views)
Shortcut
I briefly lived in Syracuse New York while Mr. Patty was in the Air Force [In reply to] Can't Post

And I got that strange look from people when I ordered pop too. Don't they know a soda is a drink made with ice cream and chocolate syrup and soda water?Angelic

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 12:30pm

Post #19 of 28 (92 views)
Shortcut
Hugh Laurie [In reply to] Can't Post

Does a good American accent in House although he does say the sh & tion sound kind of odd. I'd never seen him in any British shows so I got a kick out of hearing him talk in his normal voice on the extras. He is so good in that role!

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 12:37pm

Post #20 of 28 (95 views)
Shortcut
I live in Maryland [In reply to] Can't Post

& people in the southern part of the state sometimes sound like they are from the south. My sister lives in Virginia & her husband (who was born & has lived in VA all his life) has a bit of a southern accent. People used to make fun of the way I said certain words until I trained myself not so say them that way. For example I'd pronounce the word "wash" as "warsh". My dad is from Eastport & has strange ways of saying certain words.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 4:14pm

Post #21 of 28 (91 views)
Shortcut
I say warsh, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been working on changing that. But I guess that's something that marks us out as not being northern. Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 4:39pm

Post #22 of 28 (83 views)
Shortcut
You were AF!? [In reply to] Can't Post

My (then) hubby was AF at MacDill in Tampa!

And no... anyone below tndiana/Ohio borders are clueless! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 4:55pm

Post #23 of 28 (87 views)
Shortcut
Yup. And was glad to leave Syracuse. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful city. But far too much snow.

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 6:11pm

Post #24 of 28 (82 views)
Shortcut
No one really noticed it [In reply to] Can't Post

until I had a job where my boss grew up in Baltimore & her relatives spoke Bawlmer & said things like "warsh yer shirt in the zink". She was a good friend of mine & was teasing me in a kindly way but heh, I'm extra sensitive so I stopped saying it that way.

I work for local government & it's apalling the way some of my coworkers talk & email. I understand they grew up saying "ain't got no" & stuff but haven't they ever picked up a book or watched the news on TV & realized that isn't proper English? I am far from perfect but never say "ain't got no" or "where you at?".

Jay236
The Shire

Jul 13 2013, 7:17pm

Post #25 of 28 (82 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Theres one I have on my ipod read by Martin Shaw and its very good.

If more people valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, the world would indeed be a merrier place-Thorin Oakenshield, The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.