Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What details do we know about GDT's version?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

frodolives
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 36 (2029 views)
Shortcut
What details do we know about GDT's version? Can't Post

All I can remember is that he wanted to use a lot of animatronic effects, that it was going to be 2 films (although perhaps the second was going to be a 'bridge film'?). Did Tauriel enter the picture only when PJ came on board? Let's paint a picture of what a GDT Hobbit film would have been like based on what we know.

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 36 (1147 views)
Shortcut
I recall a few things only.. [In reply to] Can't Post

• He wanted a troll that rolled up in a ball and rolled about
• Smaug would like like a giant flying battle axe

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 7:13pm

Post #3 of 36 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

He was going to direct everything himself, including all 2nd unit work.

He was going to shoot strictly by storyboard and "edit in the camera", which meant virtually no extra material for an EE.

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 7:14pm

Post #4 of 36 (1127 views)
Shortcut
A few things... [In reply to] Can't Post

• He wanted the elves to be happier than in LOTR.
  • Thorin was supposed to wear a helmet with antlers.
  • The trees in Mirkwood were supposed to look like the trees Tolkien illustrated for The Hobbit, ie he was going to use artwork - not real trees or models of trees.
  • The sky was to be painted over to create a more fairy tale-esque effect.
  • The goblins and the wargs were to be redesigned.
  • He wanted Brian Blessed and Ian McShane to play dwarves.
  • Rumour has it that Ron Perlman was considered for the role as Beorn and Doug Jones as Thranduil.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

droidsocket
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 7:26pm

Post #5 of 36 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Almost... [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost every one of those points make me happy PJ directed in the end.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 8:08pm

Post #6 of 36 (1049 views)
Shortcut
As I understand it, Almost All the 'facts' known about Del Torro's vision were brief interviews taken when he was only partially the way through pre-production [In reply to] Can't Post

An antelered Thorin, battle axe smaug, armoured ball trolls etc were only draft designs amonsgt many others. There is quite a bit of info floating round the internet, but since Del Torro never even finished pre production on the films I don't think its fair to judeg him. Speaking as somehow who was never that concerned about seeing a film that tied in with LOTR (I wanted a good adaptation of The Hobbit on its own merits primarily) I still maintain Del Torro would have had an interestng spin on things-Imean let's face coming of Braindead would you really choose PJ as a director for LOTR?.

And personally I would have loved to see Ian Mcshane as Thorin (Armitage is a great actor but I'm not a fan of the whole cliched grumpy young mock Aragorn hero thing they've done with Thorin-I actually like the fact he was a old git in the book) though he may have been a little old for the role.

Anyway there is quite a few links from The Hobbit's wiki article that may interest you, and others.

http://www.totalfilm.com/...on-making-the-hobbit
  1. ^ "Conversations: Guillermo del Toro". Salon.com. 12 October 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
  2. ^ a b c d e "Guillermo del Toro Chats with TORN About The Hobbit Films!". TheOneRing.net. 25 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
  3. ^ Sperling, Nicole (19 August 2008). "Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens join Guillermo Del Toro penning The Hobbit". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on 28 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
  4. ^ Fleming, Michael (3 September 2008). "Guillermo Del Toro booked thru 2017". Variety. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
  5. ^ a b c Evry, Max (5 October 2008). "Guillermo del Toro on The Hobbit and Frankenstein". Coming Soon. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
  6. ^ Rotten, Ryan (12 November 2008). "Guillermo del Toro Gives Hobbit Update". Coming Soon. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
  7. ^ a b del Toro, Guillermo (16 November 2008). "I promise to give you news" (forums). The One Ring net. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
  8. ^ a b c Hewitt, Chris (June 2009). "The Two Towers". Empire. pp. 137–40.
  9. ^ Cortez, Carl (9 July 2008). "Guillermo del Toro escapes 'Labyrinth' and ends right back into 'Hellboy'". iF Magazine. Archived from the original on 12 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
  10. ^ a b c "Del Toro talks ‘Hobbit’ in Live Chat". Bilbo Hobbit. 27 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
  11. ^ a b c McNary, David ‘Dave’ (30 November 2009). "Jackson, del Toro Still Working on 'Hobbit' Scripts.". Variety.
  12. ^ McNary, David ‘Dave’ (22 January 2010). "Leaner New Line ready for a tentpole again". Variety. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
  13. ^ Levine, Stuart (7 July 2008). "Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro on 'Hellboy II'". Premiere. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
  14. ^ Adler, Shawn (8 October 2008). "Guillermo Del Toro To Fly Solo On ‘Hobbit’ Directing Duties, Says No To Peter Jackson Assist". Movies (blog) (MTV). Retrieved 2008-10-08.
  15. ^ a b Kolan, Patrick (19 August 2008). "Guillermo Talks The Hobbit's Effects". IGN (United Kingdom). Retrieved 2008-09-27.
  16. ^ a b c d Utichi, Joe (11 July 2008). "Guillermo del Toro – RT's Dinner and the Movies Interview". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
  17. ^ Adler, Shawn (2 July 2008). "Director Guillermo Del Toro Answers Your ‘Hobbit’ Questions" (blog). Movies (MTV). Retrieved 2008-07-02.
  18. ^ Xoanon (20 October 2008). "Del Toro Interview Part 2: "This is the hardest movie I'll probably ever do!"". The One Ring net. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
  19. ^ del Toro, Guillermo (15 October 2008). "SVNT Dracones" (official website). John Howe. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
  20. ^ "Ron Perlman Talks The Hobbit, Hong Kong Butterfly and More!" (interview). 1 December 2010. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
  21. ^ a b "Welcome to the 'Unexpected Party' chat... blog... log... thing".
  22. ^ "The Hobbit: Brian Blessed reveals casting discussions". My customer.
  23. ^ Ayres, Chris (2 October 2010). "Guillermo del Toro, dark lord of Hollywood". The Times. UK. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
  24. ^ "'Hobbit' Fans Have Long Road to Final Release". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
  25. ^ "Sylvester McCoy Talks Radagast Casting (Besides Other Hobbit Stuff)". The One Ring net. 6 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
  26. ^ Ashurst, Sam (27 October 2010). "Del Toro backs Martin Freeman". Total Film. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
  27. ^ THR Staff (13 December 2012). "THR's Producer Roundtable: What Would Guillermo del Toro's 'Hobbit' Have Looked Like? (Video)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
  28. ^ The Deadline Team (December 31, 2012). "OSCARS: The Road To 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey'". deadline.com. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
  29. ^ "Guillermo del Toro on Splice" (interview). Shock Till You Drop. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
  30. ^ Lesnick, Silas (28 May 2010). "Guillermo del Toro Confirms Hobbit Delay". Coming Soon. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
  31. ^ "Guillermo Del Toro departs "The Hobbit"". The One Ring net. 30 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-31.

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 8:26pm

Post #7 of 36 (952 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad too, droidsocket [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like those films of del Toro's that I've seen, I very much enjoy his DVD commentaries and interviews and he seems like a great guy and director.

But I didn't like some of the ideas that were coming out about his Hobbit and and had real fears that I wouldn't like it. So for me he was always a second choice over Jackson and I was elated when PJ was finally signed to direct.

I have to laugh when I remember the furor amongst fans over GdT's long ago remark about not liking The Hobbit. That remark didn't bother me but I think his take on The Hobbit would not have pleased me the way PJ's does.

droidsocket
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 9:33pm

Post #8 of 36 (894 views)
Shortcut
To me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ was and is my first choice for director.

When GDT was announced as director I was not sure how I felt. When I saw Pans Labyrinth I was like " Wow this guy understand fantasy"! And I tried to convince myself that he was tge best choice. But on second viewing of the Hell Boy films I was dismayed at how bad his dialog was. And how his films feel small and cramped.

I don't think badly of GDT. I just feel it would have been a Middle Earth that I would not have recognized. I'm glad PJ ended up back in the directors seat. With all of his strengths and weeknesses as a film maker.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 36 (847 views)
Shortcut
That all sounds brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

apart from Ron Perlman, he is in a lot of GdTs films, and although a good actor, I dont like his vibe, its not Tolkien.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 11:02pm

Post #10 of 36 (809 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that del Toro was involved was off-putting for me, and I had no interest it the film before it came out partly because of that.

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was a good film, but horrible and I did not like it. I found the Hellboy films very mediocre.

PJ understands Middle-Earth (and Anglo-Saxon culture) much better than would someone who's origins are southern European. I was so glad to hear that PJ was going to direct the films after all, and delighted with the casting choices, acting and visuals.

In Reply To
PJ was and is my first choice for director.

When GDT was announced as director I was not sure how I felt. When I saw Pans Labyrinth I was like " Wow this guy understand fantasy"! And I tried to convince myself that he was tge best choice. But on second viewing of the Hell Boy films I was dismayed at how bad his dialog was. And how his films feel small and cramped.

I don't think badly of GDT. I just feel it would have been a Middle Earth that I would not have recognized. I'm glad PJ ended up back in the directors seat. With all of his strengths and weeknesses as a film maker.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 12:47am

Post #11 of 36 (784 views)
Shortcut
"And how his films feel small and cramped" [In reply to] Can't Post

Funnily, that's AUJ to a tee for me.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 12:48am

Post #12 of 36 (810 views)
Shortcut
She was originally called "Itaril" [In reply to] Can't Post

and was going to be played by Saorise (sp) Ronan then.Tongue

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 2:56am

Post #13 of 36 (806 views)
Shortcut
PJ vs GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

First off, it's unfair to judge someone for what they have not done. That being said, whether you agree or disgree with PJ's casting choices, changed/added plot lines, and the expansion to three films, you have to admit PJ's vision of Middle Earth as a whole was spot on. The cinemtography, locations, and sets were spot on IMHO. You feel like you're there, whether it be in Moria, Rivendell, or Hobbiton ect. For me, that was what made the difference.

I don't think GDT's vision of ME would have been as off kilter as if say Tim Burton has directed it, but I think PJ nailed it so well anything else would likely have left us wanting.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

emre43
Lorien

Jul 13 2013, 7:33am

Post #14 of 36 (672 views)
Shortcut
I'm just glad that PJ ended up directing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really didn't want GDT involved and glad he's gone.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 36 (589 views)
Shortcut
Me, Too [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never sold on GDT for TH and am glad PJ took over. Question: The guy who originally cast as Fili is in Pacific Rim. Do you think this was the main reason he left AUJ -- to go with del Toro to do Pacific Rim? Just curious.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 13 2013, 4:42pm

Post #16 of 36 (598 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I recall, I don't think he was even cast until after PJ took over the directing job. So I don't think GDT had anything to do with Kazinsky's leaving.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

glor
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 6:59pm

Post #17 of 36 (549 views)
Shortcut
Casting... [In reply to] Can't Post

The casting of TH was top secret and from titbits from interviews with the actors in TH, many seem to have known about being cast before Del Toro left. Several of the main actors have made comments in interviews about signing on for other projects because of the delays in getting TH greenlite and doing a little bit of research indicates that some actors knew of their casting back in 2009, and I am not just talking about Martin Freeman. A project like TH would involve actors being cast and offered parts months, if not a year or so before the official public announcement.

I am genuinely curious about who was cast when Del Toro was still on board because I do not think it would have been as different as some here advocate.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 7:32pm

Post #18 of 36 (541 views)
Shortcut
It seems likely that Kazinsky was a holdover from GdT's turn as director, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

hence his being recast by del Toro in Pacific Rim.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 13 2013, 9:07pm

Post #19 of 36 (535 views)
Shortcut
But the time between GDT leaving and PJ returning was fairly substantial [In reply to] Can't Post

If this were the case, why didn't Kazinsky leave sooner. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. Wink

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 10:02pm

Post #20 of 36 (491 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would Kazinsky go through eight or nine months of sitting around doing training, then proceed into three months of filming (which according to PJ barely started covering Fili's storyline) when he knew he was going to be in a very different film?

Not a fan of conspiracies? Daniel, withe the amount of posts you make on this site, I'm starting to think your'e in on oneWink

(Personally I know nothing of Kazinsky's acting abilites, but the thought of an 'EastEnder' being in The Hobbit cast was kind of weird and depressing...what next David Mitchell and Robert Webb as the three trolls?)

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 10:19pm

Post #21 of 36 (504 views)
Shortcut
What conspiracy? [In reply to] Can't Post

My point was that GdT was obviously a proponent of Kazinsky's, who's been attached to two big feature projects - one which was being cast for a long while where GdT was director, the other of which del Toro did direct.

PJ was always attached as producer, but clearly, he replaced Kazinsky with another actor - one director has shown more proclivity for the actor than another.

BTW, I don't think this is WHY Kazinsky left, but del Toro was casting Pacific Rim in April 2011, which is WHEN Kazinsky left the production - before that, he was working on Mountains of Madness.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 13 2013, 10:24pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 13 2013, 10:28pm

Post #22 of 36 (475 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for clarifying, Captain Salt. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you were *insinuating* something else. Turns out my presumption was wrong. Apologies. Smile

I imagine that Kazinsky and GDT had a very good working relationship. After they both left The Hobbit production, I'm not surprised they ended up working together again.

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

glor
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 11:16pm

Post #23 of 36 (454 views)
Shortcut
Eastenders. Mitchell and Webb... [In reply to] Can't Post

..yeah what next some Bloke from BBC's The Office playing Bilbo Laugh

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 3:17am

Post #24 of 36 (408 views)
Shortcut
For the record [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know if Kascinsky was supposed to be in To the Mountains of Madness or not, but GDT left the Hobbit and began working on that movie adaptaion of HP Lovecraft before Pacific Rim. He got into a squabble with the studio about the rating for the film (he want an R rating ang the studio demanded a PG 13) so he bailed on that to make Pacific Rim.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 14 2013, 5:42pm

Post #25 of 36 (317 views)
Shortcut
Like Daniel said [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a significant amount of time between del Toro's departure and Kazinsky's. The only thing I was trying to say is that Kazinsky most likely was not leaving in response to del Toro's departure. If that were the case, he mostly likely would have "left" (unbeknownst to the public) when GDT did.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Jul 14 2013, 5:43pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.