Bombur: Johnny Vegas
Thranduil: Paul Bettany
Legolas: Orlando Bloom
Elrond: Hugo Weaving
Arwen: Liv Tyler
Galadriel: Cate Blanchett
Saruman: Christopher Lee
Gollum: Andy Serkis
Smaug (voice): Ronald Pickup (voiced Aslan in the BBC Narnia Series, much more growly and effective than Liam Neeson IMO)
Trolls: Mark Gatiss, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton
Old Bilbo/Narrator: Ian Holm

Any takers?

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Dec 29 2007, 3:08pm

Post #2 of 10 (697 views)
Shortcut
I Love the Idea of Brian Blessed and Brendan Gleeson in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

They'd both be excellent additions.

It's Official! Jackson to Produce The Hobbit! Woot! Woot!

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 29 2007, 6:05pm

Post #3 of 10 (686 views)
Shortcut
Now [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a cast I really like. Especially for the Dwarves. It looks like you put a lot of thought into it.
I'd like to throw a couple more into the mix.
How about:

Brian Cox (Dain)?
Ray Winstone (Beorn)
Colin Firth (Bilbo)
Clive Owen (Bard)
Jason Isaacs (King Thranuil)
Jeremy Irons (Radagast)?

I realise that the characters in question may not be in the Films, but just in case.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2007, 8:18pm

Post #4 of 10 (688 views)
Shortcut
My take on that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would be as follows:

Bilbo: Martin Freeman
Gandalf: Ian McKellen
Thorin: Brian Blessed
Bard: Christian Bale
Beorn: Brendan Gleeson
Balin: James Cosmo
Gloin: Jim Carter
Bombur: Johnny Vegas
Thranduil: Paul Bettany
Smaug (voice): Ronald Pickup (voiced Aslan in the BBC Narnia Series, much more growly and effective than Liam Neeson IMO)
Trolls: Mark Gatiss, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton
Old Bilbo/Narrator: Ian Holm

Any takers?

Mmmm... I like some of them, but here are mine, using your ideas maximus's ones and mine:

Bilbo: Colin Firth (I think and unknown would be best for Bilbo)
Gandalf: Ian McKellen
Thorin: Brendan Gleeson
Bard: Gerald Butler/Clive Owen
Beorn: Brian Blessed
Balin: James Cosmo
Gloin: Jim Carter
Bombur: I don't now here, but I din't like your choice much.
Thranduil: Jason Isaacs, Paul Bettany looks Orlando's age.
Smaug (voice): Jeremy Irons/Anthony Hopkins
Trolls: I don't know
Dain: Brian Cox
Old Bilbo/Narrator: Ian Holm (Interesting... we'd have to see how the movie is structured)

Radagast, maximus? I don't know. He wasn't even in the Council.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Dec 30 2007, 6:51am

Post #5 of 10 (701 views)
Shortcut
Not to nitpick ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but Arwen, Galadriel and Saruman don't appear in The Hobbit at all.

Are you thinking of the "filler" movie they want to do afterwards? :)

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 30 2007, 8:19am

Post #6 of 10 (719 views)
Shortcut
I stand my this unyieldingly [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf: Ian Mckellen

Elrond, Galadriel, Legolas, Gimli and Gollum: all the same as in LOTR, Hugo, Kate, Orlando, JRD, and Andy

Thranduil: DAVID BOWIE. period

Beorn: Lawrence Fishburne! (who would be both perfect for the role, and appease every minority completely ignored in the first films)

Glorfindel (who had better be at the council, after the scandalous way he was ejected from the LOTR films) Definitely Jude Law or Jonathan Rhys-Meyers from The Tudors. Either would be PERFECT! And Glorfindel must have at least as big a role as Haldir did in LOTR.

Smaug: If not James Earl Jones, James Avery (perfect) or Geoffry Holder

Bard: Liam Neisen. Or Armand Assanti.

All above are die hard picks for me. I see them with such clarion vision its as if they had already been filmed in the roles.

Bilbo: Not certain. Though someone mentioned Paul Giannetti, and when you consider Gloin's "As soon as I saw this funny little fellow bobbing on the matt " It does kinda fit. Bilbo is pure comic relief for the first quarter of The Hobbit.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 30 2007, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 10 (658 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see Glorfindel in the Prequel at least. And I agree that Jonathan Rhys-Meyers would be great for that role. He has that Elven Lord look.
As for Radagast, he could make an appearance here or there since he's mentioned in the Hobbit and was also part of the White Council. He never played a prominant role though, so he probably won't be included in the movies.
Too many more important characters to introduce in the films.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Dec 30 2007, 4:13pm)

SandWitch King
Rohan

Jan 2 2008, 4:38am

Post #8 of 10 (621 views)
Shortcut
I have been rather perplexed about why threads like this weren't showing up [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, a good, thoughtful cast!

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

SandWitch King
Rohan

Jan 2 2008, 5:17am

Post #9 of 10 (617 views)
Shortcut
I choked [In reply to] Can't Post

I choked on your listing of David Bowie. I will shave my head and wear sack cloth if this comes to pass. You vision is my nightmare Smile in this case.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 2 2008, 5:45am

Post #10 of 10 (665 views)
Shortcut
Say what you will, I guaruntee he would perform wonderfully in this role [In reply to] Can't Post

and be an excellent fit as well. As good as if not better than Agent Smith (lol) Hugo Weaving for Elrond. David has the look, the timbre of voice and the presence to hold firm as Thranduil, he could fill the role as naturally as breathe.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.