Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
ii feel sorry for the immortals

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:03pm

Post #1 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
ii feel sorry for the immortals Can't Post

hello, dear modar : )

just wanted to say.... having gotten to know the posting milestones better, and how long it takes the average poster (and even the more frequent poster) to move through, i must say, i feel a little sorry for the half-elven and the immortals.

they seem to stay in an eternal state (immortals) or a semi- / seemingly permanent one (half-elven).

perhaps the modar could take pity on them, and create more posting milestones.... like perhaps...

here are some thoiughts for a logical posting journey

valinor (3000)

alqualonde (???? -- this is the city of the teleri on the shores of valinor)

half-elven
(5000)

numenor
(???? -- when the half-elven visit with half-elven elros for a bit, most befittingly)

then back to paradise to...

tirion upon tuna
(#???? --which is the city in the only mountain pass through which the interior of valinor is accessible)

then to

valmar (capitol of valinor)

then to

the halls of mandos (where the half-elven decide to be immortal)

immortal

then explore lots of the places of the valar

isle of este (which is near the halls of mandos)

gardens of lorien (just to the south of the isle of este)

pastures of yavanna

woods of orome

mansions of aule

halls of manwe and varda

anyway, i was feeling sorry for the half-elven and immortals, and was trying to be a travel agent.... there are so many great places for them to visit and interesting things for them to do! : )

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 12 (135 views)
Shortcut
I've thought about this too [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that it really matters, but I do think it could be fun. What about something like this:

Grey Havens > Numenor > Tol Eressea > Tirion/Tuna > Alqualonde > Valmar > Taniquetil > Half-elven > Halls of Mandos > Immortal

Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:19pm

Post #3 of 12 (132 views)
Shortcut
slight problem with your pathway... [In reply to] Can't Post

you have users going to tol eressea and tirion and alqualonde and taniquetil before they are half-elven.

don't forget -- mortals are forbidden to step foot on the blessed lands. so the only place in your sequence that wouldn't be a problem would be grey havens > numenor.

(fwiw, my pathway takes into account that rule.)

(i also made the assumption that the modar would not like to reassign any existing milestone -- e.g., immortal -- 10k, half-elven -- 5k, valinor -- 3k.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 12 2013, 4:21pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 4:21pm

Post #4 of 12 (143 views)
Shortcut
did you know the level of immortal was created just for gramma? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or rather, she so outpaced everyone else and the expected levels of posting that she was the impetus for creating the level of immortal.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=50251#50251

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:22pm

Post #5 of 12 (123 views)
Shortcut
did not know that [In reply to] Can't Post

very neat. : ) thanks, magpie. : )

of course, now that she's at 20k, she needs another milestone. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 4:25pm

Post #6 of 12 (122 views)
Shortcut
I did not know that [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty neat! Go gramma!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 4:27pm

Post #7 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
Well currently... [In reply to] Can't Post

we have people (such as myself) wandering about in Valinor without being half-elven, so, no, I did not take that into account. But I guess you could just do that between Tol Eressea and Tirion.

I really don't care if the titles and milestones get reassigned. I'd happily go backward if necessary. It's not like it really matters, lol Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 12 (129 views)
Shortcut
I found a page capture from before the change [In reply to] Can't Post

The posting levels on March 16, 2007 (the new boards were created in January 2007)

Up to 9 posts: Registered User
10 to 49 posts: The Shire
50 to 99 posts: Bree
100 to 249 posts: Rivendell
250 to 499 posts: Lorien
500 to 999 posts: Rohan
1000 to 1999 posts: Gondor
2000 to 2999 posts: Tol Eressea
Over 3000 posts: Valinor

current posting levels:
Up to 9 posts: Registered User
10 to 49 posts: The Shire
50 to 99 posts: Bree
100 to 249 posts: Rivendell
250 to 499 posts: Lorien
500 to 999 posts: Rohan
1000 to 1499 posts: Gondor
1500 to 1999 posts: Grey Havens
2000 to 2999 posts: Tol Eressea
3000 - 5000 posts: Valinor
5000 - 10,000 posts: Half-elven - congratulations! Few mortals make it to Valinor. As a reward, Mandos has granted you the choice of the Half-elven: you can "choose a mortal life," or continue posting to the ultimate level...

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 4:28pm

Post #9 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
It did go backward one day... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=179373#179373

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 4:29pm

Post #10 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
Well ... I wouldn't want to be downgraded to the same level as all you mortals. So perhaps .... I can become ... [In reply to] Can't Post

An immortal talking purse! Shocked

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:29pm

Post #11 of 12 (120 views)
Shortcut
this is indeed a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

i wonder that the valar aren't blasting mortals into smithereens for tromping around valinor.

what gives, valar?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 12 (107 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have it on good authority that you have clearly stated your wish to become a troll.
I 'opes you like mutton.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.