Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What makes you put down a book?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 2:30am

Post #26 of 74 (258 views)
Shortcut
It was a book by Mussolini [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
“This book should not be casually tossed aside. It should be flung with great force.”

I wonder which book she was referring to?

Can't remember the title. I can sympathize with her *absolutely* I am sure.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 2:31am

Post #27 of 74 (258 views)
Shortcut
I have the answer.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"This book should not be casually tossed aside. It should be flung with great force."

I wonder which book she was referring to?

That would have been in her review of The House at Pooh Corner in her syndicated newspaper column "Constant Reader".

Another great line by Parker from the same review:

"Tonstant Weader fwowed up"

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 2:38am

Post #28 of 74 (254 views)
Shortcut
I studied it as part of a class on epics [In reply to] Can't Post

and now it's a favorite of mine. But not sure I would have stuck it out if it weren't for that.

It does pick up steam near the end. I have the annotated version with the description of the real ship that was sunk by a sperm whale - that story was even more chilling!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 2:56am

Post #29 of 74 (268 views)
Shortcut
At first I thought you were replying to the post about Finnegan's Wake! haha [In reply to] Can't Post

That last sentence really made me do a double take.Cool

I agree about the ending. I really felt like I was part of the crew for the last several chapters. Very much a participant, it seemed. And you're right about the real story being destroyed! I vaguely remember the details, though. Doesn't it talk about the cannabilism that happened afterwards, for awhile? Or am I thinking of a different story? (Mutiny on the Bounty...CrazyCool)

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jul 12 2013, 2:57am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 3:50am

Post #30 of 74 (251 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I felt the same about The Da Vinci Code [In reply to] Can't Post

And then, even knowing that I couldn't stomach his writing, I tried to read his Angels and Demons because I had been to Rome and knew that it was promanantly featured in the book. Again, I couldn't get past the first few pages. Not only was the style so Creative Writing 101: Writing For Fun and Profit, the opening that was supposed to impress the reader with the lead character's brilliance was just so lame. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way about his "writing". My mom and sister both love his books. Unsure

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 3:57am

Post #31 of 74 (246 views)
Shortcut
great yavanna in her arbor! [In reply to] Can't Post

that's exactly my impression of the da vinci code. arrrrghhhh!!!!

it's ironic.... brown writes about the church.... and he seems to have made a deal with the devil.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:25am

Post #32 of 74 (235 views)
Shortcut
Some reasons for putting down a book [In reply to] Can't Post

I've learned not to do this, but in the past I have tried to read two books by the same author back to back. That works fine, of course, with books in a series like LOTR or the Harry Potter books. But I once tried reading A Passage to India right after reading Howard's End because I loved H'sE so much and wanted more E.M. Forster, but I just coudn't get into it. I knew intellectually that it was a completely different story, but deep down I guess I expected a continuation of H'sE. However, a few years later I tried A Passage to India again and loved it.

I'm more sensitive to vulgarity in books than I am to vulgarity in film. It depends on context and other factors, but I have more than once put down a book because of some bit vulgarity that would go almost unnoticed in a movie. I think books are much more intimate and the imagery lingers in the brain longer. John Cleese says that when people say, "I'm not a prude, but... what they actually mean is, "I am a prude and..." Laugh I don't think I'm that much of a prude, but when I'm reading I guess I am. Tongue

Writing style is important to me. It doesn't mean that I'll only read Austen or Tolstoy, but I can't stand books that seem as if the author has just finished taking a non-credit course on writing for fun and profit. And that includes many, many very popular writers. I've often liked the concept for a story, but just couldn't get past the first few pages.

And I admit that there are some books that just go over my pointy little head. I guess if you have a classical education the allusions and references make sense, and make a book that on the surface seems boring very satisfying. I've tried pushing myself to read more challenging material and have often been rewarded for the effort with great enjoyment. But other times I just have to concede defeat and am left feeling stupid.Unsure Tongue

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:43am

Post #33 of 74 (235 views)
Shortcut
I admit, to my great shame [In reply to] Can't Post

that when I first tried to read LOTR I gave up while reading "Concerning Hobbits". Blush I'm sorry, I just found that so boring. I couldn't believe that such a boring book could be so popular. And the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't believe it. I've read and enjoyed many books that others find deadly dull, so I figured that it must get better. So I picked it up again a few weeks later and skipped to "The Long Expected Party"; I was immediately captivated. Smile There were some parts where I found myself flipping ahead to see if things picked up, but I kept at it and, of course, loved it. I still don't care for Tom Bombadil, but the Council of Elrond chapter, which I found hard going the first time, is now one of my favorites.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:44am

Post #34 of 74 (221 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 4:45am

Post #35 of 74 (228 views)
Shortcut
if only [In reply to] Can't Post

stephanie meyers had begun "twilight" with "concerning vampires"... just think how even more popular that series would be!

cheers (!)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 6:17am

Post #36 of 74 (233 views)
Shortcut
The only books... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I haven't been able to finish are Jane Austen's Emma and the Harry Potter series. The slowness or length of a book never bothers me, in Emma I couldn't stand the main character. Harry Potter, I got to the fourth book before becoming annoyed by the lack of depth and writing quality. I haven't tried twilight yet, but after reading HP, I haven't been too keen.

I mostly stick out with books, hoping that they will improve. *Note: My Mom worked as librarian, and because of her, I am never able to throw a book, no matter how much I want to.

I once tried to get my Dad to read LotR, and he said the prologue, Concerning Hobbits, put him to sleep. I'm still trying, but without much success.

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Jul 12 2013, 6:17am)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 12:42pm

Post #37 of 74 (223 views)
Shortcut
so funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

technically, i have also put emma aside, because i found it hard to connect with the main character.... but the putting aside was not intended permanently.... and it was also a factor of reading time at that moment was limited. so, for me, emma is "suspended." i fully intend to return to it, 'tho.

re the harry potter series....yes... i don't come across many people who share my opinion of rowling's writing.... though i love the series and i admire much in it, her writing has a kind of clunky quality to it, and sometimes it also seems very simplistic.

but there are aspects of it that are very engaging. her world is very engaging, and her characters endearing. i think her writing is very uneven, though. for example, i never really understood why hermione got together with ron. she made constant reference through a couple of books that they constantly argued and snapped at one another. it was very formulaic. very simplistic. and she didn't provide a full character sketch to make me understand the attraction. i still am stumped as to what hermione sees in ron (which is not the same thing as me being able to see that ron has many admirable qualities).

i also intensely disliked the steady bits of sexism in the series. example: there's a disruption at hogwarts (mountain troll, etc.). rowling invariably describes girls as "screaming," and acting in very gender stereotypical ways.

and i say this all saying also that i love the series and have reread it so many times i have lost count..

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 1:25pm

Post #38 of 74 (208 views)
Shortcut
When the author suggests not finishing books you aren't enjoying [In reply to] Can't Post

A year or so ago I tried to read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It started out OK, but then lost my interest and felt like it was full of things that made the author happy but wouldn't work for me.

Then I hit a spot where one of her suggestions to make more time in her life was to not finish a book that isn't enjoyable.

I stopped, closed the book and never opened it again. Smile

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 1:32pm

Post #39 of 74 (212 views)
Shortcut
Moby Dick is one of the 3 or 4 books I've ever quit on // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 2:06pm

Post #40 of 74 (204 views)
Shortcut
I don't often put a book down without starting it again [In reply to] Can't Post

I always end up thinking: "but what happens?" And so, I just have to read it until the end.

I'm not surprised Tolkien is on that list. Whenever it crops in a conversation about my interest in Tolkien, more often than not the person I'm talking to got bored at Tom Bombadil.

The one book I wish I hadn't picked up in the first place is Great Expectations. It's hard work, and although I'm sure many, many, many people enjoy it, it's just not a fun read. Reading is supposed to be entertaining. Sorry Dickens.

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 2:37pm

Post #41 of 74 (200 views)
Shortcut
that's not why I don't read any of his other books [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to support a plagiarist.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 2:58pm

Post #42 of 74 (198 views)
Shortcut
I rarely abandon a book but have done so with two.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Shardik.
I have attempted to read this book to the end several times, and I always run out of steam. It just seems to take a long time to get anywhere....

2. Though I really enjoy all of his books, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson just has not grabbed me. Maybe it is the too alien of setting, the slow pace etc. After going through the Wheel of Time I am not willing to start another looooong series if the first book is a struggle.

I am not surprised by the LOTR being on the list as we all know the first section requires a certain type of reader to enjoy. The mere curious will stop reading long before The Shadow of the Past.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 3:07pm

Post #43 of 74 (194 views)
Shortcut
I have little patience, I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

If a book, fiction or non-fiction, isn't working for me, then down it goes, sometimes in the first few pages. And yes, since I write the dang things myself, I tend to be very critical of details of characterization and writing that might not matter to someone else.

I have been known to skim very quickly through a book if I'm curious about where it all goes, or if it was lent to me by a friend and I want to talk to her about it.

I've only thrown a book across the room once and that was a "bodice ripper" from thirty or so years ago, when that sort of thing was popular. Now the term, and indeed the premise (that rape equals romance), is anathema in the romance branch of the publishing industry. A darn good thing, too!

Vulgarity and violence bother me more on the screen than in books. To me, it's much more raw and immediate when acted out than when written. If I fall over a violent passage in a mystery novel, say, I'll skim it, whereas in a movie or TV show I feel as though my nose is being rubbed in it. Not that I like *anything* with violence, and will avoid it if at all possible.

My friend who first give me LotR many years ago advised me to skip "Concerning Hobbits" and go right to the party. I don't remember being bored anywhere in the book, although I'm sure there were some places, like the Council of Elrond, where I was having to scramble to keep up---since this same friend had advised me to skip TH and go straight to LotR. Crazy

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 3:56pm

Post #44 of 74 (185 views)
Shortcut
Lily, as an author, how do you handle the need to [In reply to] Can't Post

always rewrite or change plot lines - especially after the bulk has been completed? A good editor? Not being a writer, it seems the biggest challenge for an artist of any kind is to know when to stop. One brush stroke too many can ruin a painting, or too much spice in the pot can ruin a soup etc.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 4:32pm

Post #45 of 74 (177 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

It's way too easy to get carried away and never really finish anything, just keep revising and revising. This is where having a deadline is a good thing---you know you can work up to that time but then you have to quit. Until the editor finds umpteen egregious errors that YOU never spotted! I've learned to factor in time before that deadline to have friends read the ms and play spot-the-mistake Smile

In general, all I can say is that after being in this business for many years I've simply learned what my own methods are and how to deal with them. For example, I know people who will plot out a novel from chapter one all the way to the end before they begin to write. Me, I make it up as I go along, which means lots and lots of revising the earlier parts to make it all hang together.

Needless to say, I'm always seeing bits in my owm published material that make me cringe (what was I thinking?!?), but just as I'm more critical of other authors, I'm more critical of myself Tongue

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 7:10pm

Post #46 of 74 (170 views)
Shortcut
Not finishing a book is rare with me [In reply to] Can't Post

but it happens on occasion, usually because of abysmal writing. I sometimes wonder how something so bad gets published. But if I find a book that is heavy going (which is quite different) I often put it in my car so I read it in bits while waiting somewhere, and find it is more palatable that way. But if I manage to finish a book that I do not enjoy, that author goes on my blacklist. Sometimes if the book is a popular one, for instance the Twilight series or Da Vinci Code, I will finish it just to say I have, or to comment when other people talk about it.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 7:25pm

Post #47 of 74 (165 views)
Shortcut
who is [In reply to] Can't Post

who is on your black list, elbereth?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 7:46pm

Post #48 of 74 (173 views)
Shortcut
When the author is commited to do something I hate, yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I have dropped many books, the main reason was disturbing scenes. I hate that, if the book contains rape, mysoginy, graphic stuff like that and such:: Inmediately I drop it (So I donīt even touch Game of Thrones and Fifty Shades of Grey) I just burn books like that, and I have read so so so horrific books that I really donīt know if they deserve to be burned or to be kept as a prove of humanīs pervertion.

As simple as that. To me those scenes just ruin, and I mean ruin a good book: it happened to me with some of Anne Rice books (And I love Anne Rice) She has a great book but describing those scenes so graphic is USELESS it just ruin the reading of a good story, making it a vulgar porn article.

There is no need of such thing. If you want to feel sick you donīt need to read a whole story to feel sick with some scenes, just look for porno fanfic and there you have it. So stop excusing books with this.

And no matter what people say I will never change my mind about that kind of "literature"

I might agreee about Moby Dick, I confess the book was so boring that I never finished it. I also find boring The Three Musketeers, but I read it at least XD

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jul 12 2013, 7:48pm)

Misto
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 9:00pm

Post #49 of 74 (152 views)
Shortcut
To do what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read nearly every book until the bitter end. At times I simply drop reading non-fictional works, because they need a lot of time and attention and it isn't working out at a certain point in time. Save for one exception I have always picked them up again after some time.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 12 2013, 9:15pm

Post #50 of 74 (150 views)
Shortcut
When I stopped reading Poisonwood Bible [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to Wikipedia to read the synopsis - I wanted to know what happened but I really couldn't be bothered trudging through the pages of the book.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.