Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Martin Freeman finished his last shots as Bilbo Baggins
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:35am

Post #1 of 28 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman finished his last shots as Bilbo Baggins Can't Post

Peter Jackson just posted on his facebook-page:

Tonight Martin Freeman finished his last shot as Bilbo Baggins. The end of an incredible two and a half years. I cannot imagine anyone else in this role - a character that Martin has nurtured and crafted with love and great skill. We have said goodbye to our elves, humans, wizards and now the hobbit. We now enter our final 2 weeks of pick-ups, and it's wall to wall dwarves. These pick-ups have been gruelling and intense, but I'm so happy with what we've been shooting. These next two movies are going to be pretty great!

Link to PJ post

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jul 12 2013, 10:44am)
Attachments: Bilbo2.jpg (48.4 KB)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:37am

Post #2 of 28 (1132 views)
Shortcut
UPDATE: And a picture with Benedict Cumberbatch (Smaug) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Smaug / Watson and Sherlock

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:52am

Post #3 of 28 (961 views)
Shortcut
They look like happy bunnies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for putting up these links!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 11:00am

Post #4 of 28 (971 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all coming to a close now! Frown

Thanks for a great Biblo, Martin Freeman. I can't wait for the next two films. May the hair on your feet grow ever longer.

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 11:05am

Post #5 of 28 (959 views)
Shortcut
Benedict [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this the first time we see footage of Benedict during the making of The Hobbit?

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 11:59am

Post #6 of 28 (882 views)
Shortcut
They look like they're both in the middle of saying something .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Captions, anyone?

Bumpypotato
Bree

Jul 12 2013, 12:19pm

Post #7 of 28 (863 views)
Shortcut
It's all rapping up... [In reply to] Can't Post

;_;

;_;

Seriously though, it's strange to feel that this series is finally coming to an end. The more I think about it, the more I feel that Peter was the perfect director to shepard this series.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 1:10pm

Post #8 of 28 (830 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Benedict is enjoying Martin's footage Wink

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 12 2013, 1:29pm

Post #9 of 28 (782 views)
Shortcut
Like this yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But there were a couple of pictures of him in some Vlogs, two in production offices and one in Hair&Make Up wall

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 2:05pm

Post #10 of 28 (752 views)
Shortcut
A great Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman has brought Bilbo to life on the screen for me in an outstanding way. I'm so glad PJ picked him for the role and stuck to his guns to get him. It was a great choice. Godspeed Martin back to the UK and get on with Sherlock episode 3. We hope to see you at the premier's of the DoS and TABA the next two years. Gonna be great!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 2:41pm

Post #11 of 28 (694 views)
Shortcut
It is sad, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, at least we have two films and THREE extended editions to look forward to - it ain't over yet!! Cool

tolktolk
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 3:09pm

Post #12 of 28 (682 views)
Shortcut
One last party tomorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

The cast and crew have said in various tweets they will be out in force at the Embassy Theatre tomorrow night (well, tonight if you are in New Zealand) for the NZ premiere of The Worlds End, alongside Martin, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 3:39pm

Post #13 of 28 (631 views)
Shortcut
Bummer [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't know much of the man going in but he's done an amazing job and he owns the role of Bilbo IMO.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 3:47pm

Post #14 of 28 (638 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the ending is so bittersweet [In reply to] Can't Post

I've surprised even myself at how sad I feel hearing this news. Sad because it means this marvelous visual journey is coming to a close, and after the last movie's credits have rolled, I will no longer have the excitement and joy of the expectation of the next film to watch from this particular creative team. At least, not in Middle-earth.

Yet I am happy to hear this news, if just for the fact that now Martin and Benedict can get on with filming season three of Sherlock! And also I am so, so grateful to PJ and the crew for these films, and especially to Martin for bringing Bilbo to the screen in such a glorious way. A big Bravo to all including each and every one of those dwarves!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 12 2013, 3:48pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 3:57pm

Post #15 of 28 (606 views)
Shortcut
Just how many weeks of Shooting are left? /// [In reply to] Can't Post

tolktolk
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 4:25pm

Post #16 of 28 (617 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha Grey Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

Best comment I've seen along with "The game is afoot"!

Here is where the cast will be partying after The World Ends premiere at the Embassy Theatre, with some interesting drinks on offer:

https://www.facebook.com/TheBlackSparrowNZ

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 4:49pm

Post #17 of 28 (597 views)
Shortcut
Well, according to PJ's post there are two weeks left [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't imagine him not doing some extra pick up shots next year before the last film.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 6:51pm

Post #18 of 28 (573 views)
Shortcut
What are the odds that there will be some more limited [In reply to] Can't Post

pick ups next year? If I recall correctly, for each of the LOTR films there were late pick ups.

What is the destination for most of the set buildings etc?
Kept in massive warehouses or sadly destroyed?

Future museum material?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 12 2013, 6:55pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 8:06pm

Post #19 of 28 (516 views)
Shortcut
the sets [In reply to] Can't Post

Some are torn down. Some of the stuff has been stored at Stone Street. hard to say I doubt though the larger sets they will keep. They take up too much room. But you never know

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 12:12am

Post #20 of 28 (423 views)
Shortcut
He has a hobbit foot fetish. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Laugh

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 12:15am

Post #21 of 28 (420 views)
Shortcut
Parting is such sweet sorrow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt sad at this. I'm not ashamed to admit it brings a tear to my eye. It's over already? Frown *sigh* Que Sera, que sera, I guess.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 12:52am

Post #22 of 28 (434 views)
Shortcut
He'll probably make a cameo as Ian Holm in PJ's "The New Shadow" trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

when it hits VOD in 2025 (according to Spielberg and Lucas, everything should be released directly to our computers by then). Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 2:00am

Post #23 of 28 (397 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether [In reply to] Can't Post

to laugh at the adorableness or to cry at the thought that they are finishing up and that this is the end of an era... Unsure In Middle-earth is coming the end of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield. I'll be having my Grey Havens bawl all over again. *sniff*

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 2:38am

Post #24 of 28 (397 views)
Shortcut
Goodbye, dear Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

An end of another era, with everything coming to a close for those involved. I can't imagine how hard it must be do end what they've known for over two years, almost every day. Looking forward for Martin's hard work to pay off (just about 5 months away!!).

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 3:07am

Post #25 of 28 (398 views)
Shortcut
I must say [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm was a great old Bilbo and in his youth may would have been a good young Bilbo, but Freeman nailed it.

Everything he did was spot on from "Good morning!" to Riddles ... he was brilliant.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.