Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Zealand's national orchestra to record "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" soundtrack
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 62 (1825 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand's national orchestra to record "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" soundtrack Can't Post

As revealed here.

New Zealand's national orchestra has been given the green light to record the soundtrack for Sir Peter Jackson's second Hobbit film at the Wellington Town Hall.

Sir Peter said he was delighted to have secured the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's services again, after recording Howard Shore's score for The Lord of the Rings with the group in 2001.

And another report here.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 11 2013, 8:18pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 62 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Just a question [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't have a clue, but is this the same orchestra that recorded the other soundtracks? Or have they all be recorded by different ones? My Two Towers soundtrack CD (which is the only soundtrack CD I have) says the artist is the London Philharmonic Orchestra. I had just assumed it was always the same. Do you know? I'm sure Magpie does. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to answer. Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 62 (1061 views)
Shortcut
It was pretty much all London Symphony Orchestra for LOTR as far as i know [In reply to] Can't Post

The only piece NZSO conducted was the Mines of Moria track as it was it first score written for the film, months before the movie came out, for the Cannes presentation.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 62 (1009 views)
Shortcut
And who did AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know? What caught me off guard was the report saying that they'd worked with Shore on FOTR. But I guess that would be accurate if they worked on the Mines of Moria track for Cannes.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 62 (1043 views)
Shortcut
I know the answer to that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was all performed and recorded by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. I've contacted Magpie regarding your first question - I have no idea.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 8:55pm

Post #6 of 62 (964 views)
Shortcut
That's cool [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as it has the sound we're all familiar with it will be an even cooler thing that they're getting to do it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 62 (935 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Daniel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 9:18pm

Post #8 of 62 (1010 views)
Shortcut
I like and don't like it at the same time [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all it is something new. But new can mean better or worse. Why?

Every orchestra sounds different although they've the same instruments. That's a good thing but my problem with the orchestra change for DOS is:

All LOTR scores and also the AUJ one was performed by the
London Philharmonic Orchestra. I really love the uniform sound of the released Middle-earth scores. Even if AUJ looks different to LOTR it's soundtrack has the same tone/sound. I know that Howard Shores DOS score will be amazing but I fear that it will sound very different to the others. Which could also be a good thing because the award juries might notice the change.

As I wrote in the beginning: New can also mean better although it's very difficult because the LPO did an amazing job. I'm looking forward to this score!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 11 2013, 9:43pm

Post #9 of 62 (940 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure it doesn't all come down to who's directing it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those musicians are like machines, you give them a score, they play it as fauthfully as possible.
Who will give the speed, the pauses, the "strength" to the music is the director.
Yes, there might be some very small differences, but it won't be noticable at all, I guess.
So, as long as it's Shore the director (is he?), I'm fine with it.
More, I'm happy because it's another thing done by New Zealand people.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 11:21pm

Post #10 of 62 (898 views)
Shortcut
Quite drastic [In reply to] Can't Post

Bringing in orchestrators, jettisoning the LPO in favour the New Zealand National Orchestra. I have to think this was a result of major problems encountered in the post-production of AUJ, as the final soundtrack heard in the film suggests. We know how much Shore likes working with the LPO - why would he choose to abandon using them after four films?

I have to think there will be something of a difference in the final sound.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 11:39pm

Post #11 of 62 (876 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it comes down [In reply to] Can't Post

to Shore having someone else conduct the orchestra this time around? Maybe this other person (whose name I can't recall) enjoys working with this New Zealand orchestra better? That's all I can think of.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 12:51am

Post #12 of 62 (826 views)
Shortcut
Honestly never heard any of their recordings. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the most recent performance I could find on youtube, from 2011 and personnel can change in two years I'm sure. But for any orchestra you have to be top notch, and they pull off an okay performance of the Brahms here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdcjq08XLzc

For a completely unfair comparison here's Lenny B. and the Vienna Phil. TongueEvil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1E6FBi-AJw

I'm currently listening to a recording (released this year) of NZSO performing Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and overall I'm not totally impressed. Mainly because it's not the Ravel orchestration and I'm finding some of the choices to be a little odd.

While I don't think anyone should be worried about this decision I would like an honest answer as to why, the "straight dope." And also an honest answer about the major discrepancies between the AUJ soundtrack and the final film score would be nice too. Guess I'll just have to put those on my wish-list for Santa, because to be frank I don't think we'll ever get answers for those questions.

"The word 'beauty' is as easy to use as the word 'degenerate.' Both come in handy when one does or does not agree with you."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2013, 2:28am

Post #13 of 62 (733 views)
Shortcut
AUJ's score was performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, the London Voices, and the Tiffin Boys' Choir // [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2013, 2:30am

Post #14 of 62 (745 views)
Shortcut
In addition to the Moria music for Cannes, the NZSO also recorded an early version of "The Breaking of the Fellowship" [In reply to] Can't Post

This can be heard at the very end of the FOTR EE fan credits.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 7:27am

Post #15 of 62 (682 views)
Shortcut
I think he was looking for external orchestrators for DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

So, as long as it's Shore the director (is he?), I'm fine with it.

He was for LOTR and AUJ but he won't be the conductor for DOS. A few weeks ago it was mentioned that he was looking for another orchestrator.

Howard Shore hires external orchestrators for DOS instead of doing it himself

So there might be a different sound now. Different orchestra, different orchestrators... we'll see/hear.

Those musicians are like machines, you give them a score, they play it as fauthfully as possible.

Nope. That's the great thing and difference between a machine (a score that was produced on the computer) and a musician. On a computer it always sounds the same but every musician plays a little different.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jul 12 2013, 7:30am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 10:57am

Post #16 of 62 (651 views)
Shortcut
I can't help feeling a little disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

The London Philharmonic is a world-class orchestra – perhaps the best in the world. They sound marvellous if you have ever heard them play live. (I've even been to screenings of LOTR at the Royal Albert Hall with this orchestra playing.)

It would have been good if the film-makers had stuck with the same outfit for consistency of quality.

Is this a cost issue?

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 12 2013, 10:58am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 10:59am

Post #17 of 62 (636 views)
Shortcut
Can't be cost surely? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine any expense being spared on this production.

It must be due to issues with post-production on the last film.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 12:11pm

Post #18 of 62 (630 views)
Shortcut
Interesting and slightly alarming [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw last month’s thread about how Howard Shore is not going to orchestrate his score for DoS but is he not going to conduct it either? That’s very different from LotR , in which he composed, orchestrated and conducted. Didn't he even make set visits during production back then to inform his work on the score?

There does seem to be a difference this time round, for whatever reason. The heavy use of a piece not written by Shore in AUJ (the Misty Mountains theme), the differences between the OST and the actual movie score, the farming out of the orchestration and now the change in orchestras is certainly quite a change. But most casual viewers of DoS won’t know and won’t care.

I don’t know the NZSO so I can’t comment on their competence. Most national orchestras are very good, even if they are not on the world stage. But it surely must be a time saver for the production to do the scoring in NZ rather than England. My concern is that the LSO is very experienced in playing/recording movie scores and possibly that’s a rather specific skill.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 12:21pm

Post #19 of 62 (615 views)
Shortcut
A little misleading [In reply to] Can't Post

So they are recording some small part of the score? Obviously the LPO is the main orchestra for these films....

Bumpypotato
Bree

Jul 12 2013, 12:22pm

Post #20 of 62 (609 views)
Shortcut
Lucky [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky buggers. From memory they also performed on Serj Tankian's live album.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 12:26pm

Post #21 of 62 (606 views)
Shortcut
He IS conducting [In reply to] Can't Post

We've not heard otherwise. It's just the orchestration he won't be doing.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 12 2013, 12:44pm

Post #22 of 62 (609 views)
Shortcut
Neither of the articles say that [In reply to] Can't Post

Both seem to suggest that NZSO will be recording the entire soundtrack. LPO may well be adding something, but if they were the main orchestra, then the articles aren't reporting it.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 1:13pm

Post #23 of 62 (589 views)
Shortcut
As machines, I meant in a positive way [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant that they should play more or less the same as every other professional player around the world.
The difference should come from the director, I'd say 80 per cent?
Of course, if you compare single musicians there would be huge differences, but being in an orchestra, they should conform to a "standard" sound.
All this, In My Opinion, because I'm not very into classical music... even though I love it. (who doesn't?)

I'm not worried about the orchestra too much, I'm worried it won't be Howard Shore directing it... that's not good, not good at all...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 12 2013, 1:18pm

Post #24 of 62 (606 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore is composing and conducting [In reply to] Can't Post

All he won't be doing his orchestrating, that is, arranging the music for performance by the orchestra.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 12 2013, 1:45pm

Post #25 of 62 (601 views)
Shortcut
The first article erroneously implies [In reply to] Can't Post

that the NZSO did the entire score for LOTR. So I don't think that you can count on the media reporting this correctly.

That having been said, it does appear that the NZSO will be doing the bulk of the work. And I am perfectly fine with that.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.