Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Vocalist for The Hobbit's two movies.

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 3:04pm

Post #1 of 20 (499 views)
Shortcut
Vocalist for The Hobbit's two movies. Can't Post

My two picks would be.....

Lisa Gerrard she received a Golden Globe award and an Academy Award nomination for Gladiator.

Loreena McKennitt who's music and songs have been in numerous movies.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 28 2007, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 20 (322 views)
Shortcut
Glenn Yarbrough still performs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though he took ill in November.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

We're on hiatus Dec. 24-Jan. 6 for the holidays.
Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 28 2007, 5:44pm

Post #3 of 20 (346 views)
Shortcut
Must there be a vocalist? [In reply to] Can't Post

What if the composer (Shore or other) decides to go all instrumental? Apart from the songs sung by the characters, of course.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 5:49pm

Post #4 of 20 (301 views)
Shortcut
That would work for me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But what about the Academy Award nomination for best song?

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 28 2007, 5:54pm

Post #5 of 20 (320 views)
Shortcut
Unnecessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer the filmmakers focus on making the best possible cinematic adaptation of The Hobbit, and not worry about qualifying for every possible award.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2007, 5:57pm

Post #6 of 20 (294 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want a song tacked on. Except for Into the West, I didn't think the songs of LOTR had much to do with the story.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 6:21pm

Post #7 of 20 (314 views)
Shortcut
Well the songs are tracked over the credits. So I don't see what the big deal is. [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 20 (316 views)
Shortcut
Have you read.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the translations of Philippa Boyens's lyrics? I beg to differ that "The songs have nothing to do with the story"Smile I'm hoping she can collaborate with Shore again.

That said, the need for "operatic/female voices" won't be as great this time around--not for the first film anyway. They were used mostly for the Arwen scenes, and scenes of high drama and grandeur, such as the Sammath Naur. This is tale vastly reduced in scope, so an instrumental-only score (with some occasional choir work thrown in--OK, make that a lot of choir work--I love Shore's choral stuff) would be fine.
As to closing songs,I am afraid that is a curse we have been stuck with since Disney got its 2D animated groove back in 1989, with "The Little Mermaid." Now every "pop" film has to have a nifty closing credits number. I think Shore did a fine job with introducing the Gray Havens motif during Gandalf's conversation about death, and expanding it into "Into The West." Maybe he could have a theme for Throrin and do the same with The Hobbit. Or Bilbo ,for that matter.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 28 2007, 6:37pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2007, 6:47pm

Post #9 of 20 (328 views)
Shortcut
On Enya's genre... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always thought the group ERA could do a fine job. Look for them, they have two great songs: Ameno and The Mass.

Of course that's for one of the two movies.

Anyway, it's likely they will surprise us with an unknown voice (at least to most of us) as they did with Gollum's Song, which I didn't like... but hey, anything can happen.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 28 2007, 6:51pm

Post #10 of 20 (293 views)
Shortcut
But this begs to sung. [In reply to] Can't Post

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away, ere break of day,
To seek our pale enchanted gold.

Granted with deep all male voices.

I guess I'm the only one here who likes to hear songs over the credits. I do stay and read them in the cinema and this helps.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

karen
The Shire

Dec 28 2007, 9:12pm

Post #11 of 20 (295 views)
Shortcut
vocalist [In reply to] Can't Post

I would really like to hear the woman who sang while Aragorn was floating in the river and then Brego comes up. She has the most beautiful voice, it sounded so elvish to me, they could use her again for Hobbit. I also think Annie Lennex should have something in there. Into The West always makes me cry.

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 28 2007, 11:32pm

Post #12 of 20 (270 views)
Shortcut
Enya [In reply to] Can't Post

has a great sound for fantasy. She would be my choice without a doubt.

Daeferedir
The Shire

Dec 29 2007, 4:54am

Post #13 of 20 (261 views)
Shortcut
That Would Be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheila Chandra. Try iTune...

(This post was edited by Daeferedir on Dec 29 2007, 4:57am)

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 29 2007, 2:53pm

Post #14 of 20 (244 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Film Music [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there is a tendency to not want to mess with what worked for the LOTR films...(Howard Shore and ethereal female voices)

But really The Hobbit doesn't have to be that.

At the top of my musical wish list for The Hobbit is for the film composer to actually write a piece of music that uses the group of instruments the dwarves use in the first chapter of the book (a harp, 2 viols, 2 fiddles, 2 clarinets, a drum and 3 flutes). I really realy really want the theme for Thorin's company to be introduced by the dwarves themselves with (at first) this particular orchestration. It would just be a great geeky thing to do, like having the prisoners enter whistling in Bridge on the River Kwai.

And for the record, I don't see where Oin or Gloin are assigned instruments during the Unexpected Party..so maybe they aren't musical..or are singers (Gimli's dad a croonerAngelic)...maybe Oin is a castrato and they can work in one of your vocalist after all Tongue.

Elven
Valinor

Dec 30 2007, 2:35am

Post #15 of 20 (233 views)
Shortcut
There's some great ... [In reply to] Can't Post

interviews with Sheila Chandra if you search: Sheila Chandra interviews

She really has quite an awesome presence with her voice ...

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Elven
Valinor

Dec 30 2007, 3:07am

Post #16 of 20 (226 views)
Shortcut
After some searching .. [In reply to] Can't Post

there is also www.sheilachandra. com you can visit ...
there was some great reviews about her, which makes me wish she was featured a little more on the soundtracks ...

" The sonic equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting ...." NEWS JOURNAL
  • "One of the most beautiful voices on earth" Billboard, 1996
  • "If you havenít heard her before, prepare to be amazed." The Times (London), 1999

• "A woman working out on the boundaries of the possible." Q, 1992
  • "One of the most compelling, powerful and underrated voices of our time." Uncut, 1999

• Elven

The Shire was never the same after
    Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
    The Hobbit!!
    Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Finding Frodo
    Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2007, 4:43am

Post #17 of 20 (243 views)
    Shortcut
    Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kind of flute-heavy, but could probably be made to work. Unless all those flute jokes are true. (Q: What's the definition of a minor second? A: Two flutes playing in unison. Q: How do you get two flautists to play in unison? A: Shoot one of them.)

I love the wonderful geekiness of using that orchestration though. I was just starting my Hobbit re-read and thinking about how those instruments would sound together and what tune works well for "Over the Misty Mountains Cold". Unfortunately, "Over the River and Through the Woods" fits rather well!

Where's Frodo?

N.E. Brigand
    Half-elven

Dec 30 2007, 4:46am

Post #18 of 20 (234 views)
    Shortcut
    The Rankin-Bass version of... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold" has a nice melody. I'm sure something else in non-carol fashion could be devised.

Finding Frodo
    Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2007, 4:50am

Post #19 of 20 (219 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh, definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be something dark and deep and mysterious. I just made a bad connection with the words and couldn't get it out of my head.Crazy

Where's Frodo?

ElanorTX
    Grey Havens

Dec 31 2007, 1:47am

Post #20 of 20 (290 views)
    Shortcut
    songs during credits [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether there's music or not, I always stay for all the credits, and so I too enjoy the music if it's relevant, not just showhorned in to make the CD longer.

In "Once" the title track is not heard until the credits.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.