Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Bit of Positivity

Legomir
Bree

Jul 11 2013, 5:56am

Views: 1569
Shortcut
A Bit of Positivity Can't Post

It seems to me like there's been quite a bit of negativity surrounding the movies recently (though I could be totally wrong), so I feel like putting up a bit of positivity in yet another ridiculously long post explaining why I am fine with all the differences.

Put mildly, I loved The Hobbit. Reading things on here I have examined the movie more than is probably healthy to see if I agree with some of the points, and I honestly don't. This doesn't mean that the people who have problems with it are wrong or anything, just that I take another view.

Everything that is in the book up to where the movie ends is in the film. Some things have been tweaked a bit for visuals and call-backs, but I don't think there is a single scene in the book that is not in the film (feel free to correct me there). The changes to the existing scenes do not seem to be much more severe than the tweaks that were made during the Lord of the Rings. And in my opinion, the additions add to the experience.

Was the Frodo and Bilbo scene necessary? Probably not. But it's purpose seems to be to reacquaint people with Middle-Earth and hopefully bring a smile to the fans' face. It worked for me. It hasn't worked for some (many?), and that's okay. Nothing can please everyone.

The Necromancer plotline, in my opinion, would be necessary for any adaptation of The Hobbit that is made after The Lord of the Rings. People will be wondering how everything ties into The Lord of the Rings, and it is neat to see it. And contrary to some opinion, the things in the film were in the Appendices, they were just kind of tweaked for timeline compression and the addition of Radagast.

I feel like the point of Radagast (other than providing a fun new character) is to make the Necromancer plotline possible for the film. As I recall, in the Appendices it goes Gandalf investigates Dol Guldur, meets Thrain, suspects Sauron is involved, is denied by the Council (specifically Saruman), then waits until Saruman changes his mind and they drive him out. Obviously, there is more to it than that, but those are the basics. Obviously, PJ wanted to put that story across the three films. So it can't have been Gandalf investigating Dol Guldur (at first at least) because he would be with the Dwarves. Enter Radagast. The story with the High Fells and the Nazgul was, I believe, included because they have to have a way of convincing the White Council to attack, as it would not work to show Saruman fearing that the Orcs are investigating the Gladden Fields, for that would spoil the surprise of Saruman being a turncoat in FOTR. All of these are acceptable to me, though not to everyone.

The Warg Scouts are in the film to tie the episodic nature of the story a bit more. That is a given. Almost every time an episodic story is adapted (Goblet of Fire, the Odyssey, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, etc.) something is introduced or beefed up to tie the story together. This leads to Azog.

I have no problem with Azog, but many, many, many people do. The main reason for this seems to be that in the books he is dead, and he is taking screen time from Bolg. The reason for Azog could be as simple as he has a cooler name than Bolg (which he kind of does), but that's probably not it. In my opinion, one of the cool things about Azog is that he has an immensely personal connection to Thorin, who is obviously supposed to be his arch-nemesis. He killed Thror, severed his head, and (in the books) carved his name into his forehead. Had Dain not killed Azog in the books, there's a sizable chance that he and Thorin would go to the ends of the earth trying to kill each other. Thorin wants him dead because he killed his grandfather. Azog wants him dead because he is an Orc and that is kind of what he does.

I feel that Azog works better than Bolg as the leader of the Warg Scouts because of the connection with Thorin. Thorin being chased by the man who killed his grandfather works better than Thorin being chased by the son of the man who killed his grandfather. It also kind of needlessly complicates the story. Not much, but enough. Bolg is still in the movies. Sure he is different, but at least his is still there. And for all we know he will end up performing his duty to the story, we just don't know yet. I don't think that we can honestly predict what PJ will do until the film is released. After all, who saw it coming that Azog would have as big a part?

So to make a long post short, I think that all of the reasons for the changes (not really changes, more like additions) are all sound and add to the experience. I feel that this movie was doomed by critics right from the beginning simply because it would always be compared to the Lord of the Rings (too kiddy in comparison OR too much like Lord of the Rings). Not to mention the fact that it seems like more or less every movie gets bad reviews these days.

I'm sure many people will disagree with this. Hopefully, many people at least partially agree with this. Or maybe this will be ignored as a too-long rambling post about things that have already been discussed. Either way, this is my two cents.

Subject User Time
A Bit of Positivity Legomir Send a private message to Legomir Jul 11 2013, 5:56am
    My two cents I agree with you Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Jul 11 2013, 9:19am
    Not too long... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jul 11 2013, 12:01pm
        I was not sure if the Prologue really counted as a change... Legomir Send a private message to Legomir Jul 12 2013, 6:45am
        Prologue CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jul 13 2013, 3:52am
    Let's sing it! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 11 2013, 12:22pm
    There has just been Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 11 2013, 12:41pm
        No need to keep score Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jul 11 2013, 3:12pm
            i wasnt keeping score, i wouldnt go around making sure theres a balance .. Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 11 2013, 3:19pm
        Fair enough Legomir Send a private message to Legomir Jul 12 2013, 6:48am
    Okay, but what need to connect Bolg to Dol Gudur? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 11 2013, 12:47pm
        It's the other way 'round. *book spoilers*, movie speculation arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Jul 11 2013, 10:47pm
            from 2 to 3 Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 12 2013, 3:50am
            I would argue that the connection between the Necromancer and Thorin's quest is already there, in the book (and Appendices). Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 12 2013, 8:23pm
    i agree unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jul 11 2013, 3:46pm
    No need to apologize for your two cents legomire! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jul 11 2013, 3:58pm
    Well said Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jul 11 2013, 4:45pm
    While it seems most scenes from the book Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 12 2013, 1:23pm
        warg scene unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jul 12 2013, 2:55pm
    Well said. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 13 2013, 2:13am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.