Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD Double Bill

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 2:27am

Post #1 of 5 (390 views)
Shortcut
SCOD Double Bill Can't Post

Things have been rather hectic around my house lately. Lots of house/yard work, and I'm waking up in seven hours to go to Chicago (for the annual G-Fest ((Godzilla)), my first time going after a two year hiatus). So I'm making this week's SCODs into a two-fer-one on account of my time limit Tongue. Here goes!

1.) Gandalf

a. I don't know if anyone else gets this (and you can't really see it here), but this particular shot always sticks out when I see it in motion, namely on blu-ray. There's something about this shot amongst its neighbors that seems extremely clear, sharp, and eye-popping. It's hard to describe, but does anybody else have a similar sense with this one, or am I just crazy?

b. How do you read Gandalf's face here? Why do you think it is the way it is?

2.) Orthanc

a. It's almost self-explanatory why I picked this one. Let's play this like a rorschach test - what do you see (and I don't mean it literally, of course).

b. Any other thoughts?

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 5 (194 views)
Shortcut
RE: SCOD Double Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Gandalf
a. I don't know if anyone else gets this (and you can't really see it here), but this particular shot always sticks out when I see it in motion, namely on blu-ray. There's something about this shot amongst its neighbors that seems extremely clear, sharp, and eye-popping. It's hard to describe, but does anybody else have a similar sense with this one, or am I just crazy?

I know what you mean-there is indeed something about that shot-no idea what it is though Wink

I think he is trying to gather in his will. He knows the nature of the difficulty ahead of him (i.e. Saruman), but he doesn't know what tricks the old traitor is going to pull out of the bag and so is mentally preparing himself for what may occur.

2.) Orthanc
a. It's almost self-explanatory why I picked this one. Let's play this like a rorschach test - what do you see (and I don't mean it literally, of course).

Ooh I hope you're asking for symbolism-I like that sort of thing. I see a being whose own pride has literally engulfed him (hence the water around the tower), and yet even so he is still too consumed by his own views to see where his failings have led him to (hence he is standing in a high tower above all of the water). Nevertheless he is trapped, although he himself won't admit it.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 11 2013, 3:49pm

Post #3 of 5 (182 views)
Shortcut
Whiter than white! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Gandalf

Excellent use of shallow depth of field with a bright lens to emphasize Gandalf the White’s whiteness. His clothes (and hair and beard) seem to have been soaked in optical whiteners.

He’s definitely moved from folksy huggy-huggy Gandalf the Grey to ruthless Realpolitiking Gandalf the White. As Gandalf himself said, he is now Saruman as he should have been: No longer a gentle nudger, but a forceful leader. Of course, knowing what a leader must do, Saruman will exploit this transition in the upcoming negotiations. (“Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those closest to him, those he professes to love.”)

2.) Orthanc

Either the blades down inside a blender, or the top portion of a Bouncing Betty mine. Getting too closely involved with either one is not going to end well.

b. Any other thoughts?

Pie is an absolute good.

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

willowing
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 11:27am

Post #4 of 5 (166 views)
Shortcut
SCOD-Double bill [In reply to] Can't Post

In this shot if you remove the staff you would be left with twice as much blur of forest features than what we are suppose to know, see or understand about the White Wizard. I think the white accessory is used to great effect here.

b. How do you read Gandalf's face here?

A very solemn and serious Wizard with a lot at stake and also concerned for those around him.

b2 Why do you think it is the way it is?

"Fool of a Took" but Gandalf need not have worried Gandalf left Merry and Pippin in the capable branches of Treebeard.

2.) Orthanc

An ocean of debris, like a tsuami just hit and the four spires seem to be leaning more outward rather than straight up giving an exposed feel and look about it.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 13 2013, 1:43pm

Post #5 of 5 (142 views)
Shortcut
scod double bill [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf

He looks transformed and almost Elven. He has taken on Sarumans mantle and it fits very well. The whites are translucent. He looks keenly around him and has the upright bearing of a warrior.

He looks like he can see through trees, his gaze is so piercing.

Orthanc

It looks like a weapon seen from above, with those blades sticking out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.