Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any ideas how much PJ will earn from the trilogy?

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 10 (605 views)
Shortcut
Any ideas how much PJ will earn from the trilogy? Can't Post

I seem to remember reading he is worth around around $400 million, according to this article;

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/...r-jackson-net-worth/

He earned about $180 million from lotr (so around 4-6% of the box office gross per film), and his IMDB trivia page

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) $10,000,000 + gross points (this salary is for all 3 films) King Kong (2005) $20,000,000 + 20% of the gross (to be shared with co-writer/producer Fran Walsh & co-writer Philippa Boyens)
http://www.imdb.com/...nm0001392/bio#trivia

States he was the world highest paid director with King Kong (which he received 20% of the gross from), but given the lower than expected box office of Tintin and The Lovely Bones, and the involvement of two major studios this time around could he be expected to have less say in gross profits? Would such an agrremnt on profit margins be signed before they made the leap from 2 to 3 films?

I know this is a kinda controversial and fairly random topic, but I was wondering whether anyone had any more info (If he is earning as much as he did with King Kong I can kinda see why the Tolkien estate takes a dim view of the films-an outsider potentially earning three times as much as they are by rewriting the stories could hardly sit well with them...)

On a side note could the Hobbit trilogy make Hugo Weaving the Worlds highest grossing actor-LOTR, The Hobbit, Transformers and the Matrix trilogies were all multi billion dollar grossing franchises, add in Captain America, the two Babe films, The Wolfman etc could he be in with a chance of knocking Samuel L Jackson off the top?

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jul 10 2013, 2:48pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut
I really couldnt care for any of this [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry malickfan, but my contribution to this topic is nil Tongue

I think all this talk about smaug may be getting to you Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 2:55pm

Post #3 of 10 (288 views)
Shortcut
At first I read: "how much PJ will learn from the trilogy?" [In reply to] Can't Post

That'd be a question I would find even more interesting actually. Tongue

(This post was edited by Foromir on Jul 10 2013, 2:56pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 3:01pm

Post #4 of 10 (255 views)
Shortcut
It would [In reply to] Can't Post

Be interesting to learn just for the are of nosiness but honestly I could not care less. It makes no difference other than something people can use to take pot shots at the man. "You made 150 million on The Hobbit and it was all terrible!" Something like that.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:23pm

Post #5 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
He's selling a product that people want [In reply to] Can't Post

he deserves his profit so long as it's legally and ethically earned. Does he treat his employees well, does he return to the community, does he follow the laws of the land with no underhanded legalese?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 3:24pm

Post #6 of 10 (238 views)
Shortcut
Albeit [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit late...dont you think?Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 3:52pm

Post #7 of 10 (232 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's having to share with the Tolkien Estate (7% of the gross, which got them about $200 million from the LOTR trilogy), the Weinstein Brothers (5% of first dollar gross), and a few others. So really he'd doubtless make more doing a film without so many fingers in the pie...

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 4:10pm

Post #8 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he can be "learning by doing"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there is always hope! Wink

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 4:13pm

Post #9 of 10 (196 views)
Shortcut
Just a fool's hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 4:44pm

Post #10 of 10 (214 views)
Shortcut
And aren't NZ films companies [In reply to] Can't Post

somehow entangled with the government? There goes another slice!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.