Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shore's Hobbit Wins Colonne Sonore Award
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silmaril
Lorien

Jul 10 2013, 1:33pm

Post #1 of 30 (969 views)
Shortcut
Shore's Hobbit Wins Colonne Sonore Award Can't Post

Congrats to Howard Shore on winning Colonne Sonore's "Best Music for a Foreign Film" for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!

http://www.musicoflotr.com/...midsummer-award.html

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 1:40pm

Post #2 of 30 (575 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

He deserves it! I can't understand why his AUJ score did not get the deserved nominations. Critics and fans loved it but the award juries didn't. It goes perfectly with FOTR, TTT and ROTK. Although the movies do look different the score is exactly the same... I hope his DOS and TABA scores will be more recognized. But I'm optimistic because there we've got far more new places, events and characters to create wonderful new themes and motifs.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Silmaril
Lorien

Jul 10 2013, 2:07pm

Post #3 of 30 (539 views)
Shortcut
i totally agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

i love the AUJ score too and i like mr shore's new beard ;)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 10 2013, 2:15pm

Post #4 of 30 (535 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

They are rubbing off on him. Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 2:43pm

Post #5 of 30 (506 views)
Shortcut
I love it as well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's another great Middle-earth score by Shore. :)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 2:49pm

Post #6 of 30 (546 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

i wonder if the fact that the soundtrack on the album not being as used on the TH film, has anything to do with it...

First time in a ME film i was often bored and annoyed at the use of music in the film...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 2:56pm

Post #7 of 30 (519 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately I have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Admittedly I've only seen AUJ twice, but I honestly can't remember any of the music

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 30 (529 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that a fair amount was used in the film. I still see people keep say it wasn't but there has been discussion showing a pretty fair amount of it was used.

Not me. The music used in the movie sends a rush of calm and happy feelings as I watch the film. The two mix for a pretty darn good experience. Cool

Foromir
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 3:02pm

Post #9 of 30 (508 views)
Shortcut
I agree, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the music on the album to be even more rewarding, especially on the special edition! Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 3:08pm

Post #10 of 30 (503 views)
Shortcut
The SE [In reply to] Can't Post

Is very nice. So nice I bought it on cd and digital. lol

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:22pm

Post #11 of 30 (502 views)
Shortcut
If I had to choose between album and movie score... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would choose the album. There are more great unused tracks on the album that aren't in the movie. The only change from the movie score I prefer to the album is the Flight To The Carrock track. It is absolutely beautiful! And there are a few action variations of the Misty Mountains Cold theme which aren't on the album but that's it. In all other cases I prefer the album:

1) I really liked the Radagast The Brown track (also heard in Hill Of Sorcery) on the album which is almost never to be heard in the movie. It's funny because it was our first glimpse of the new soundtrack and it's not in the movie^^
2) I liked the Riddles In The Dark track on the album with it's wonderful new arragements of the One Ring theme and Sméagols Pity motif. In the movie we've got the Sméagol Pity motif from FOTR again and again and a track from LOTR with the One Ring theme.
3) Much of the Bilbo material is completely cut from the movie. Perhaps there is more in the EE because there are a lot of missing Bilbo scenes coming.
4) There is a lot of stuff like the tracks Erebor, The Dwarf Lords, Edge Of The Wild or parts from The White Council track which all sound great but aren't (yet) in the movie. Perhaps some of them may appear in the EE. I started a thread once that the album may give us a few hints to the EE of AUJ
like the Bilbo-Elrond-Narsil scene featured in The White Council track and so on.
5) Also there have been discussions about the Gondor Reborn theme (from ROTK) at the end of the movie and the use of Revelation Of The Nazgûl motif from FOTR when Thorin fights Azog at the end.
--> The main question STILL is: Why didn't they use the tracks A Good Omen and Out Of The Frying Pan from the album
instead? They both sound great and would be even better than the LOTR tracks. I saw clips in the internet where people changed the music from the movie to the actual music from the album... I liked it better.

So it's the first time that the album is very different to the used score in the actual Middle-earth film. I hope they'll do it better in DOS and TABA.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 3:36pm

Post #12 of 30 (476 views)
Shortcut
thats very informative [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree, the use of music was a bit off the beaten track for me...

When gandalf chats with galadriel abut bilbo, when the ring find bilbo, the gondor reborn theme, the nazgul theme, the constant use of that dwarf theme : pa pa pammmm pa pa pa na na nanaaaaann , really dull.

Love the Radagast track on the album, very folksy and evocative.

malickfan , thats the thing....if you play some of the themes from lotr to an audience of random people....theres a likelihood some will recognize them aaaaah its lotr music! Ive seen this.

No doubt that if you were to play hobbit music that isnt reusing Lotr themes and motifs, and hardly anyone notices it...Maybe the misty mountains...But other than that...what ?

There is very little memorable, Hobbit music, imo.

Mostly good but nowhere near as good and unique as the Lotr soundtrack.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 3:59pm

Post #13 of 30 (462 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I really appreciate the music in the film. It's just right.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 4:04pm

Post #14 of 30 (457 views)
Shortcut
It's beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much rotate my Middle-earth OST most weeks to listen to as I go to sleep. It's just right for many uses and reasons. *Inserts virtual high-five here Cool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 4:54pm

Post #15 of 30 (433 views)
Shortcut
Terrific news – thank you for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

The soundtrack is beautiful, I think, and the win is well deserved. Wink

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 5:13pm

Post #16 of 30 (427 views)
Shortcut
Congrats as well +1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, like with the LOTR trilogy, the accolades may come at the end of the three-film package. We can hope. It's an impressive body of work for any composer.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 5:35pm

Post #17 of 30 (427 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 10 2013, 7:40pm

Post #18 of 30 (409 views)
Shortcut
Yes, soundtrack beautiful. Use of it: less beautiful... [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously the final judgement is reserved for the EE of AUJ.
But as for now... the use of Shore's soundtrack by PJ is almost a crime of war... murdering innocent themes and exploit till death others.
Meh, let's hope and pray this to be rectified in the EE.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 8:22pm

Post #19 of 30 (400 views)
Shortcut
is almost a crime of war [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

well, i wouldnt go that far...but i certainly dont like it.

You think for instance the music for the azog thorin confrontation will be replaed by the orignal in the EE?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 10:33pm

Post #20 of 30 (380 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved both the sound track and the use of it the film – all beautifully done as far as I was concerned, and very moving in parts.

In Reply To
Obviously the final judgement is reserved for the EE of AUJ.
But as for now... the use of Shore's soundtrack by PJ is almost a crime of war... murdering innocent themes and exploit till death others.
Meh, let's hope and pray this to be rectified in the EE.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 11 2013, 1:03am

Post #21 of 30 (336 views)
Shortcut
if that represents what I think, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin using his Dwarven Ring, one of the Seven.
If it's not that and they do not give an explanation or they do not replace it, well, that would suck, because it's totally out of place... and just saying something like that about Shore's music, which was so well used in LOTR, perfectly fitting every tiny little moment, it makes me sad.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 11 2013, 1:08am

Post #22 of 30 (338 views)
Shortcut
Didn't upset you... [In reply to] Can't Post

all the incredible awesome music they left out? Or the exaggerated cheap overuse of the Misty Mountains theme?

Well, let's calm down and wait for the EE.
The Misty mountains theme will be diluted and, they'll have to use more of the score. And if they fix some little pieces here and there, well, I'm sure something very good might come out.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2013, 1:31am

Post #23 of 30 (343 views)
Shortcut
I'd argue... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is not possible to "overuse" the Misty Mountains theme. Heart

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 8:23am

Post #24 of 30 (314 views)
Shortcut
So long as the EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

Includes more of the Baggins-Took Bilbo theme, I'll be happy. If they change that lovely rendition that should score Bilbo's meeting with Elrond I'll be greatly annoyed. I'm already upset they didn't include the version that plays in 'Axe or Sword?', since it's one of my favourite parts of the soundtrack.

If they're doing any re-scoring, then the Gandalf-Galadriel scene is a must.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 11 2013, 8:55am

Post #25 of 30 (300 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

It made my heart swell every time I heard it. Gorgeous and completely appropriate to the scenes shown with it as far as I am concerned.

In Reply To
...it is not possible to "overuse" the Misty Mountains theme. Heart

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.