Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favourite costume design in The Lord of the rings?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 10:44pm

Post #1 of 37 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Favourite costume design in The Lord of the rings? Can't Post

So I saw a thread like this about the hobbit AUJ, and have me this idea. My favourite is probably saurons armour and isildurs, as well as the witch kings battle armour. Preferably i would like this one to be original to the LOTR series, so that way it is not in both, something specific to LOTR. Any of the three movies, I can't wait to here your responses!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 11:19pm

Post #2 of 37 (763 views)
Shortcut
More than one! [In reply to] Can't Post

For that utterly convincing lived-in look: Aragorn's Ranger clothes and Gandalf's Grey outfit.

Sinisterly satisfying: the Black Riders;

I could use that!: Eowyn's travel outfit.

Covetably beautiful: Arwen's dark blue and orange gown; the brown and green dress Eowyn has on when Aragorn spots that she has packed her sword.

Exquisite but impractical (for the likes of me, anyway!): Galadriel's white dress.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 37 (802 views)
Shortcut
Were you here when the board member, Arwen's daughter, did her costume threads [In reply to] Can't Post

If not, you might enjoy browsing some of those old threads.

Go to this site: http://diannethegeek.com/...tumediscussions.html

Find a costume and click on it. It will take you to an old TORn thread where you can get gobs of info.

And this page would be a good resource for remembering some of those costumes.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 37 (746 views)
Shortcut
Has to be [In reply to] Can't Post

The dress Arwen wore for Aragorn's coronation.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 12:15am

Post #5 of 37 (747 views)
Shortcut
There are several that are my faves [In reply to] Can't Post

The outfits of the Fellowship, Gandalf's white rode, Saruman's robe, I even like Grima's Gothic outfit. I find Galadriel's gown dazzling, and I love Celeborn's costume. I also have a thing for the vests the hobbits wear, and I love their jackets. There's probably more costumes I like, but I can't think of them all at once, and it would probably take the entire thread. Blush

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 10 2013, 12:43am

Post #6 of 37 (735 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

... for this link - great pics.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 1:10am

Post #7 of 37 (720 views)
Shortcut
Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen and Eowyn had stunningly beautiful dresses. The hobbits had appealingly comfortable clothes that I'd like to wear, they look so comfy (I agree with Ziggy about their vests). I thought the Rohan armor was cool in its detail. The Orc armor at Helm's Deep was really cool, coming in different types for different kinds of Orcs (for example, the berserkers had little to no armor on their backs because they only attacked, never retreated, so why cover your rear?).

My least favorite was the Elven armor at Helm's Deep. Just a matter of taste, I guess; it didn't seem like the right look for them, but I couldn't sketch what would be.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 1:29am

Post #8 of 37 (739 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's costume [In reply to] Can't Post

The detailing was amazing.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 1:49am

Post #9 of 37 (718 views)
Shortcut
You are absolutely right! [In reply to] Can't Post

That dress and that color are simply gorgeous. I was going to say Arwen's 'dying' dress, but you reminded me of this one. I also really like her beaded white dress from FOTR. Ngila did a great job with her costumes, I have to say.

Another favorite just has to be Gandalf's robes (grey). They're just perfect.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 1:54am

Post #10 of 37 (740 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's robe [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely love it. I would seriously wear that everywhere if I had it!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 1:57am

Post #11 of 37 (717 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And of other characters - I have to say, of all of Arwen's dresses I love that soft lilac one she wears in Aragorn's flashback scene. Liv looks just gorgeous there.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 2:07am

Post #12 of 37 (724 views)
Shortcut
Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

She just has the most phenomenal outfits. That one is particularly good. She looks ephemeral and angelic but also vulnerable at the same time.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 2:19am

Post #13 of 37 (721 views)
Shortcut
Ephemeral - perfect word [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
She just has the most phenomenal outfits. That one is particularly good. She looks ephemeral and angelic but also vulnerable at the same time.

So true - I love that Liv reshot that scene for more Elvish. It works on every level. I give the actors and the dialect coaches such a round of applause for the work in the languages in the entire franchise, but I think Liv in particular did a great job. A side benefit of working more of Arwen into the films, to be able to hear the more of the Elvish spoken and so well.

The only dress of Arwen's that I did not care as much for was that one she wears when Aragorn leaves Rivendell and hands her back the Evenstar...it just looks a bit too heavy for her. That travel robe she wears is amazing too...the way it flows when she turns her horse around on the way to the Havens. What a visual.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 2:33am

Post #14 of 37 (715 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's Coronation Gown [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that sea foam green color.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...gi?post=74274;#74274

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 2:43am

Post #15 of 37 (710 views)
Shortcut
More Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize they reshot the scene for more Elvish, but I'm so glad they did. Like you said, I think it works absolutely beautifully. That scene is actually one of my favorites in the trilogy. It's wonderful. Liv really was the perfect elf, and an even better Arwen.

Again, I agree with you. That's definitely my least favorite of her outfits, but it doesn't look awful in the fellowship departure scene. I think the darker scene in TTT makes it look heavier than it is.

Absolutely agree with you about her cloak in ROTK. Stunning.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 2:44am

Post #16 of 37 (726 views)
Shortcut
Frodo's grey havens outfit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice blue color, likely to symbolize Frodo's connection to the sea. Also recalls Frodo's blue outfit when we meet him in FOTR. Simple outfits, but very nice...

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 6:57am

Post #17 of 37 (710 views)
Shortcut
These dresses [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's green dress and Eowyn's brown and cream one.

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'
Attachments: 3ce3d0b5779ce988e5d1c1ae5d58717f.jpg (41.7 KB)
  Eowyn.jpg (35.8 KB)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 5:35pm

Post #18 of 37 (661 views)
Shortcut
The costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

The costumes and their construction were and remain a real strength of LOTR (as well as TH series). They really lend depth to the world.

I don't know how many times the armor, costumes and accessories from a fantasy film take me completely out of the world because they look 'manufactured' or there no possible way that a medieval culture could have made it. There's only a couple of quibbles I have with any of the work done with LOTR.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 5:38pm

Post #19 of 37 (673 views)
Shortcut
Amazing what lighting can do [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't realize they reshot the scene for more Elvish, but I'm so glad they did. Like you said, I think it works absolutely beautifully. That scene is actually one of my favorites in the trilogy. It's wonderful. Liv really was the perfect elf, and an even better Arwen.

Again, I agree with you. That's definitely my least favorite of her outfits, but it doesn't look awful in the fellowship departure scene. I think the darker scene in TTT makes it look heavier than it is.

Absolutely agree with you about her cloak in ROTK. Stunning.

Wow, I never noticed how the lighting changes the look of that outfit. Great caps - thanks! It does make all the difference. The departure scene looks so much better.

It was Liv's idea to reshoot the scene - her feeling told her that Arwen and Aragorn would speak Elvish together in such a private moment. Her instinct was spot on. Heart

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 5:52pm

Post #20 of 37 (660 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it took me a while [In reply to] Can't Post

to realize that they were the same dress lol Laugh

I hadn't heard that little detail, but I'm so glad she suggested it! It makes it that much better. It's practically perfect Heart

cats16
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 11:03pm

Post #21 of 37 (657 views)
Shortcut
Adding to everything else... [In reply to] Can't Post

I also really love the presence of Legolas's predominately green costume alongside of Gimli's red one. In the same shot, they look incredible (especially the full shot of the Fellowship near the end of the council scene). Of course, Aragorn's traveling gear added into this makes it even better.

On a more specific note, I find it awesome to consider the function of each character's (in this post Legolas and Gimli) costume based off of their culture/race and their position in their societies. I know I don't need to explain anything in depth about this based off of many people's vast knowledge about the characters. But, regardless, I wanted to bring it up. It's something that's so important about a person--the way they dress--which can really tell you a lot about their culture, position in it, and of course personality.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 2:14am

Post #22 of 37 (639 views)
Shortcut
Where to begin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, beginning roughly at the beginning.

Bilbo's special vest (waistcoat for you Brits who probably giggle every time you see "vest" Laugh) with its gleaming buttons looks just the way it should.

The Ringwraiths are better than I could ever could have hoped for. Love the detailed armor and the heavy yet flowing robes.

Aragorn's travel-wear. It's not "pretty", but it definitly helps establish his character.

Arwen's forest green "ranger-wear" with high collar that she's wearing when she rescues Frodo. Beautiful and feminine without being overly fussy.

Boromir's gear. Wonderful detail.

Legolas, with and without velvet cloak.

Galadriel's white dress. 'nuff said.

Gandalf the White. It can't have been easy to make flowing white robes look elegant yet still masculine. I think that was achieved wonderfully for G the W.

Eowen's white dress. That shot of her standing on the portico with the wind blowing her hair and dress is amazing. I've loved that dress since seeing it in the trailer for TTT.

The dress Eowen's wearing when practicing with her sword.

All of Arwen's dresses worn in the montage between Arwen and Elrond in TTT. I like them better than the ones in ROTK because they are in more saturated colors, which I usually prefer to pastels. But all of Arwen's dresses are beautiful.

Pippin's Minis Tirith guard uniform.

Rose Cotton's wedding dress. So cute.Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 2:19am

Post #23 of 37 (644 views)
Shortcut
I knew I was forgetting one [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this dress of Eowen's. The sleeves are wonderful.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

PattyJB
Rivendell

Jul 11 2013, 2:19am

Post #24 of 37 (654 views)
Shortcut
Legolas' armour [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of Legolas' costumes, the colors and the materials, but my particular favorite are the leather pauldrons he wears during the battle of Helms Deep. Heart

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt1700.htm

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 11 2013, 5:04pm

Post #25 of 37 (625 views)
Shortcut
thank you for that link [In reply to] Can't Post

its fabulous and so much new information.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.