Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More Hobbit Pickups?!

~Delta~
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 4:39pm

Post #1 of 16 (1145 views)
Shortcut
More Hobbit Pickups?! Can't Post

Ok, so PJ and team are currently shooting the final pickups.... plus NEW footage, including BOFA!

My question: since the BOFA is new footage.... Could there be a chance that they may later need to do pickups for this sequence too?

What are your thoughts? :)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 16 (518 views)
Shortcut
Seems unlikely ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion, there's always a possibility they'll be doing pick-ups next year (especially considering the complexity and relevance of such a sequence), but apparently, the length of 10 weeks for this pick-up seems to have sufficed and the filmmakers have planned it so as not to do any more filming.

Plus, there are the several farewell posts PJ has made on Facebook ... so unless something pretty major occurs during Film 3's editing, I doubt we'll get any more.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 5:31pm

Post #3 of 16 (533 views)
Shortcut
My guess would be that [In reply to] Can't Post

they do some kind of pick-up filming next year, just not anywhere near the scale of what they did this year. Much more like typical pick-ups, maybe a week or so. I just can't see PJ not wanting to add or insert or clarify a shot here and there. Even with the aid of cgi, there's bound to be something he'll need a few actors and a set or two to shoot.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 6:32pm

Post #4 of 16 (432 views)
Shortcut
I think they're pretty much done [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree there's too much preparating and commitment on the part of everyone to do another set. Besides, these pickups were always planned from the beginning. They are getting what they need. Besides anything indoors could be done in London possibly (like the Bag End sets) without the need for travel to NZ.

I really think they're done after this set. It sounds like from MF's interview that is up on the TORN site that this is pretty much true as he said it's intense and no messing around. They are trying to get it done now. That makes me feel good because it leaves a lot of time for editing TABA next year. That's a good thing.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 8 2013, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 16 (400 views)
Shortcut
Nah, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they do some kind of pick-up filming next year, just not anywhere near the scale of what they did this year. Much more like typical pick-ups, maybe a week or so. I just can't see PJ not wanting to add or insert or clarify a shot here and there. Even with the aid(?) of cgi, there's bound to be something he'll need a few actors and a set or two to shoot.

If they forget something like zomborcs or ballistas, PJ will just add it all in by cartoonish CGI. Crazy its better fot Nth power action scenes anyways.

~Delta~
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 6:57pm

Post #6 of 16 (402 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... True. I was thinking that, also, given the fact that the TABA release date has been pushed back to Dec 2014, instead of summer 2014.... wouldn't this be in case of pickups for the new sequences? Although maybe the question posed is one that even PJ can't answer right now... lol.Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 16 (322 views)
Shortcut
"Pickups means getting your POO exactly the Same" [In reply to] Can't Post

from Peter Swords King...
BeardBraider Extraordinare...

They are working' 11 hour days,
Much of Both films is Blocked Scripted and Locked...

Also, Think about this, most if not all Cast, Crew, etc
Are NOW in High Demand..therefore signed on to other Projects.

Bomby knows thingies about THAT?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 10:07pm

Post #8 of 16 (279 views)
Shortcut
Exactly Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the cast now have other commitments. Not as easy to get them all together and NZ is a long way from home for most of them except the Aussies. They are busting rear right now to get these done. I think there will be more than enough material to edit. The need for pickups next year I just don't see really.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 8 2013, 11:48pm

Post #9 of 16 (244 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps they are filming alternate endings? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Maybe a Gungan relief column will turn the tide at the Bo5ishArmies; or

2. Old Bilbo wakes up at home, curses his luck at picking the wrong mushrooms for the previous evening's mushroom pie, and says to a groggy Frodo, "Well that's not what happened at all, don't know what I going on about all that time. Here, read this book if you want to know what really happened."

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2013, 3:18am

Post #10 of 16 (223 views)
Shortcut
Next year's pickups will involve a different set of characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

... namely Aragorn, Arwen, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Gil-galad, Cirdan, old Bilbo, Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Sam, Rosie, and Elanor.

The whole thing's gotta tie in to the end of the Third Age, right?

RIGHT!? Evil

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 3:18pm

Post #11 of 16 (122 views)
Shortcut
Maybe there will be time-travelling! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf wheels his Mr. Fusion cart up to Elanor Gamgee's house, rushes in and says. "Come with me, we have to save your parents! BiffAzog has released a transdimensional Balrog. Run!"

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

adnan
Rivendell

Jul 9 2013, 4:10pm

Post #12 of 16 (120 views)
Shortcut
Highly doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since they are skipping Comic Con which indicates to me they wanna get things done right and final in this last bit of shooting. I am very happy with that move, nice to see art winning over commerce at times Tongue

Rivendell

~Delta~
The Shire

Jul 9 2013, 11:27pm

Post #13 of 16 (82 views)
Shortcut
True...buuuuttt.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... Don't you think on some level...... PJ will want to film a majestic montage to highlight the wonder that is Dean O'Gorman?!?!?! Smile And.... he's local, right? So this may happen.... Evil

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 10 2013, 12:18am

Post #14 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
Some of the most important scenes in ROTK were shot in summer 2003!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This includes Gandalf describing Valinor to Pippin as the troll is bashing in the door. For me, that's the best dialogue scene in ROTK and thank god they shot it! Part of the Arwen sequence was shot then also, as well as a few added bits to the Frodo/Sam/Gollum storyline. The last shot of the entire trilogy was a Gollum shot that was pre-viz'd at Peter's house with Andy Serkis acting it out on Peter's stairs!! :D It's the moment where Gollum realises that Frodo means to destroy the Ring, which was something Peter thought they had missed.

~Delta~
The Shire

Jul 10 2013, 3:41am

Post #15 of 16 (70 views)
Shortcut
I loved that! [In reply to] Can't Post

That take Andy Serkis did on the stairs! What a total legend! He can just be Gollum in any environment, even at the Hobbit premiere it would seem! Legend! :) And yes! I like your thinking there too with the pickups! And PJ is such a perfectionist I'm sure he'll find something....

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 8:58am

Post #16 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
The *final* final shot was filmed after the film had opened [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a shot of the falling skulls in the Paths of the Dead that Jackson did for the Extended Edition and it was filmed about three weeks after the Oscars (Jackson has mentioned how amused he was to still be filming for a film that had won the Best Picture Oscar).

Fascinating to learn that Serkis shot was done on Jackson's stairs! One of my favourite Gollum moments.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.