Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What I loved about the Hobbit film!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

aruman
Rivendell

Jul 9 2013, 1:19am

Post #1 of 51 (1480 views)
Shortcut
What I loved about the Hobbit film! Can't Post

OK, there were some things that I wasn't crazy about in this film, and things that I thought could have been handled much better...but here's what I absolutely loved:

Martin Freeman. Just like we said about Sir Ian over a decade ago (it seems like yesterday), Freeman IS Bilbo. He nailed it! (on a related note, so it doesn't just sound like I'm kissing PJ's feet, let me say that I did not really feel like Elijah Wood was Frodo). Anyhoo, everything about Freeman's performance was magical. I love, love, love Ian Holm as old Bilbo, and when I first started the Hobbit I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that Freeman, rather than Holm, was Bilbo. Those fears were gone about 5 minutes into the film.

Secondly, I thought the scene where Bilbo decides to spare Gollum's life, and merely jumps over him, was done extraordinarily well. It's one of very few times where any PJ scene lives up to the greatness of the books (I think PJ has done a phenomenal job, these books are just to great to be fully captured on film).

I'm reminded of a quote from another great film, Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, which I have adapted to this situation below:

Freeman IS Bilbo! Bilbo IS Freeman! Freeman is a man! Freeman is a man?!! aaaahhhhh blaaaaahhh!

EDIT: P.S. Where the heck was Freeman when they were shooting LOTR? I mean, I'm glad things worked out the way they did, but he could have played any Hobbit!

PPS I hope Butterbur remembers to post this, if not, I shall roast him.

PPPS Make sure he is the real Barliman. His last name is Butterbur.

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

(This post was edited by aruman on Jul 9 2013, 1:24am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 1:29am

Post #2 of 51 (730 views)
Shortcut
Freeman is Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely agree! He was definitely one of the highlights of the film for me. I think he nailed it perfectly, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the EE and the next two films. I especially loved his acting when all the dwarves were showing up in Bag-end. Perfection. He definitely was Bilbo during that scene, IMO, and he's equally good throughout the rest of the film. Another of my favorite scenes is his speech to the dwarves about not having a home. Lovely.

I have to disagree with you about the Gollum scene because of one nitpick. It was great right up until he kicked Gollum in the face. Um, what?? Not acceptable at all, IMO.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 1:48am

Post #3 of 51 (718 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't kick him in the face [In reply to] Can't Post

As he jumps over him, he doesn't quite clear him and his foot hits him in the face, but that is clearly not a kick. Certainly nothing like Faramir's men beating the crap out of him, or Faramir himself grabbing him by the throat and throwing him against the wall. I thought the scene was extraordinarily well done, including that part, since it would have been unrealistic for Bilbo to have been able to completely jump over Gollum without hitting him. But the look of pity in Bilbo's face, and no less the look of pitiable-ness on Gollum's face, are remarkable examples of silent acting. Definitely right up there among my favorite moments in all four Jackson M-e films thus far.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 1:57am

Post #4 of 51 (656 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't trying to suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

that Bilbo did it on purpose, but the fact remains he hits/kicks (since it's his foot I used "kick") Gollum in the face. While you may feel this makes it more realistic, I don't. He does it in the book, and I see no reason why he couldn't in the movie. Gollum was crouched over, so I wouldn't think it would be any harder to jump over him than it would be to jump over a hurdle. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he first jump off a rock? So that would give him greater height in his jump as well.

I agree, though, that the silent acting prior was excellent.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 2:06am

Post #5 of 51 (642 views)
Shortcut
Not at all like jumping over a hurdle [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't have a running start, the rock that he jumps off is just a few inches off a ground, and while Gollum is somewhat crouched over, he is still more than half as tall as Bilbo. A trained athlete wouldn't be able to jump clear over him under those circumstances, let alone a middle-aged gentlehobbit. There are plenty of things to complain about about AUJ, but that is certainly not one that bothers me in the slightest.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 2:11am

Post #6 of 51 (616 views)
Shortcut
Well, all I can say is that it does bother me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 2:31am

Post #7 of 51 (620 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it didn't bother me in this case I will say in RoTK i was very bothered by Gandalf smacking Denethor with his staff. That really made me mad and was one of the few times I completely disagreed with Jackson's use of a character.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 2:42am

Post #8 of 51 (618 views)
Shortcut
That actually didn't bother me too much [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole part of the scene that actually bothered me was Jackson had Bilbo running around aimlessly to get away from Gollum in his infinite wisdom to highlight the ring when it was unnecessary.Instead of letting Gollum go back to his island looking for the ring and Bilbo then simply following him to the exit, then he totally copies the scene from FOTR where the ring lands perfectly on Frodo's finger. Next they got rid of the goblins at the backdoor and totally left out the one part the ring was a player in by performing its last trick before taking a new owner. Letting the goblins see Bilbo's shadow. And leaving his buttons on the back door where he should have... That's where i think Jackson totally wasted his opportunities with the scene. What we got was ok but it could have been SO much better,

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jul 9 2013, 2:43am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:20am

Post #9 of 51 (576 views)
Shortcut
That didn't bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

the two major issues I have with ROTK are Frodo showing the Ring to the Nazgul and Frodo sending Sam away.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:28am

Post #10 of 51 (592 views)
Shortcut
Freeman was amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know anything about him going into this but his performance made me feel like he did capture Bilbo Baggins. He's just one of the many reasons I think AUJ is just such an awesome movie and feels like Tolkien.

I loved the whole Riddles sequence but that moment when he spares Gollum's life was very emotional. You felt what we going on even without words being spoken. I think it really made what was said by Gandalf to him and Gandalf to Frodo in Fellowship.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 4:22am

Post #11 of 51 (552 views)
Shortcut
I certainly didn't mean to suggest that it shouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Your impression is what it is, and no amount of explanation is going to change it! I was just explaining why it doesn't bother me at all.

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 9:11am

Post #12 of 51 (618 views)
Shortcut
What I loved about the Hobbit film... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was being taken into Middle Earth again and seeing that whole, vast, enchanting, amazing, beautiful desirable world open in front of my eyes with completely new scenes and new glimpses of familiar places and people.

What I loved - love - about the Hobbit film as with LotR is, first and foremost, visual. I could get lost in those films if they were made in a language I don't understand, because for me it's like entering a moving, living picture book, which I appreciate all the more because I know the extraordinary level of craft and care and sheer hard work that goes into making them look so good. And I can forgive Peter Jackson a great many lapses for having the foresight to bring in Alan Lee and John Howe - both of whom have real knowledge of Tolkien's writing and insight into it.

What else? The story, the acting, the music - Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and the dwarves - Elrond in his armour - key scenes from the book so beautifully visualised. And the experience of seeing someone else's vision of a story I already know very well. And the fact that there are two more films to look forward to and much of the above applies to the glimpses we've been given of them also.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 9:46am

Post #13 of 51 (509 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is in TOTAL Agreement with Dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

Likely the Smartest thing PJ did was convince
Alan & John to join the team.

Their Lifetime commitment to Tolkien, shows in in Every frame of Film.

Please excuse me, But Bomby cried a great deal over this production..
BagEnd was perfection, The Flashback to Erebor was Astonishing,
MORE than Bomby could have hoped for...
Finally understanding the Different Dwarves and hints at their past...
Stimulates the Imagination
just like JRRT did 45 years ago.

Sorry..
if Bomby is a simple little old POOP..
This was..but a Dream come true..

(Goldberry would have loved it TOO!)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 11:17am

Post #14 of 51 (485 views)
Shortcut
Could not have said it better [In reply to] Can't Post

that's exactly what I think too! Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

emre43
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 12:08pm

Post #15 of 51 (456 views)
Shortcut
Masterfully said [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 12:15pm

Post #16 of 51 (470 views)
Shortcut
Me to. PJ took me to Middle Earth again [In reply to] Can't Post

and that is my favourite thing about all his ME movies. My favourite thing about the books is Tolkien's exquisite world building as well.

The look of the movie, the costuming and sets, the music, the sound, the acting and so on.

I love the Dwarves, individually and collectively.

I also like the way in which the stories of Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf are interwoven. Radagast and the Whitel Council are great and I'm fine with the Stone Giants. Even Azog, though a bit awkward, is OK.

There are things I don't like as much such as the gross juvenile humour, action sequences that for my taste go on a little too long and are a bit over-the-top, some clunky dialogue.

But those few quibbles are drowned in a sea of great scenes: the entire prologue and the Bag End sequence, especially the entrances of Dwalin and Balin, Blunt the Knives and the Misty Mountain song and Bilbo awakening to a silent house. Riddles in the Dark and the Pity of Bilbo, the entire Rivendell sequence and the Eagles are also favourites.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 1:10pm

Post #17 of 51 (424 views)
Shortcut
Yes with yet another lotr moment [In reply to] Can't Post

the book version was much better.

The little pity moment was good, one of the few accomplished moments from the latter part of the film, i think.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 2:22pm

Post #18 of 51 (392 views)
Shortcut
Those all are mine too [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the entire opening sequence and the Bag end scenes. The "Good Morning" scene put me right into the story. I was smiling right off the bat at the play between Freeman and McKellan in that scene. Just loved it. And the whole entrance of the dwarves I thought was great and the whole "Chip the glasses and crack the plates" as well as them singing Misty Mountains Cold was brilliant. I wanted it to go on even longer I admit it.

I loved Riddles in the dark. I thought the whole riddle game between Gollum and Bilbo was perfect. I also really enjoyed the Pity of Bilbo and what a seminal moment in the entire LOTR/Hobbit story that is and we saw it on the screen! That was kind of a fulfilling moment for me to see that. When I watch FOTR now I just love the scene in Moria even more between Gandalf and Frodo and his little talk with Frodo about "the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many".

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 9 2013, 2:45pm

Post #19 of 51 (423 views)
Shortcut
my high points [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the prologue on Dale and Erebor and the coming of Smaug. The Good Morning interchange was perfect and the whole sequence in Bag End was great. I loved the songs, Gandalf recounting the story of Bullroarer Took and the character moment between Thorin and Balin. The look of the Shire was stunning and took me right back to FoTR. The flash back to Azulnubizar and didn't mind the compression of events or changes and I believe more is to come via flashback. I loved the encounter with the Trolls and thought some of the changes were better than the book. I liked the way the brought Radagast's character to life. Rivendell was fantastic again and I liked the demeanor change in Elrond more representative of a lighter hearted perior of time. I like how they incorporated the White Council scene and focused on Gandalf's worry of Smaug and the danger he presents in regards to the enemy. Even though I wasn't sold on the stone giants, I loved the way Thorin recklessly saved Bilbo and the later exchange with Bofur with Thorin listening on. I loved the Goblin King. The Riddles in the Dark sequence was the best. Thorin charging Azog was fantastic in the flames was fantastic. The Eagles and the Carrock looked great. I thought all the visual exposition was brilliant. The brief glimpse of Smaug's eye was a great way to end it.

Over all, I love the effort PJ goes into world building. I think that was Tolkien's true legacy as much as the stories and I think PJ gets that.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2013, 3:23pm

Post #20 of 51 (387 views)
Shortcut
Exactly, dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't even that excited about the movie initially (crazy, I know. Crazy), but I decided to go see AUJ mostly because I had so much enjoyed PJ's Middle-earth in LOTR and the myriad of background details that go into his productions. (Little things such as, for instance, Fili and Kili having their own motifs woven into their clothing and belongings, and Bilbo's map of Shire on his wall, just as in the book... )

And then when I did see it, I was totally blown away by the sheer beauty of it all. Heart

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Jul 9 2013, 3:24pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 3:25pm

Post #21 of 51 (375 views)
Shortcut
hear hear, dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

You put it so well! I love AUJ for those very reasons! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 9 2013, 3:28pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:45pm

Post #22 of 51 (359 views)
Shortcut
We have a bingo! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 4:54pm

Post #23 of 51 (396 views)
Shortcut
My absolute favourite thing about the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the portrayal of Balin-chiefly because I didn't expect it to be so good. In my opinion Ken Stott's performance is right up there with McKellen, Freeman and Serkis (Not to say that Armitage wasn't great, but I just wished that the character looked older). The whole scene with the Battle of Moria and Balin's narration gave me chills. I'm just so pleased they developed him so well-the film version of the character was perfect in my opinion, and far better than my imagined version of the character!

Other highlights included Riddles in the Dark and Radagast's scene in Mirkwood . I really liked Radagast character and I think that McCoy did a great job despite some of the comic relief applied to him, which I found (mostly) bearable (not including the bird crap. That's just awful).

Also the "Good Morning" scene was the best possible way to introduce the character of Gandalf over the course of the six film saga. Easily one of the Wizard's finest moments on screen, and almost word-for-word taken from the book as well.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 5:16pm

Post #24 of 51 (384 views)
Shortcut
For me the biggest surprise was Thorin, played by Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting Martin Freeman to give his usual excellent and appropriate performance, but hadn't known much about RA before The Hobbit. His performance was therefore a great and pleasurable surprise – and his acting ability has been confirmed to me since I have now seen other things in which he appeared.

Funnily enough, I expected Ken Stott to put in every bit as great a performance as he did. I'd seen him before in other things, and knew he was a very fine actor before I saw the film.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 5:31pm

Post #25 of 51 (388 views)
Shortcut
One of the few things i loved about the film [In reply to] Can't Post

was Balin, masterfully played by Stott.

Minus that yellow hooter hes displaying Tongue

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.