Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's the opening scene of DOS likely to be?

thursday_next
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 7:12pm

Views: 946
Shortcut
What's the opening scene of DOS likely to be? Can't Post

Apologies if thereís already been a thread on this, but whatís the opening scene in DOS going to be?

The dwarves going towards Beornís house would seem to me to be logical, but something tells me PJ is not going to go this way. I have no doubt PJ will seek to present Beornís bees as being at least five times as big as they are in Tolkien, because heís PJ, and thatís what he does, but in end theyíre not killer bees. Not spectacular or dramatic enough.

Smaug? - no, he doesnít have anything to do. The White Council? - no, the film is ĎThe Hobbití, however loosely adapted. The Ringwraiths making their way out of the tombs at High Fells? - hardly. If itís anything with Azog in it, then I am going home anyway.

My guess is that heís decided to go for the flashback of Gandalf getting the key and map from Thrain at Dol Guldur. I donít know why Thrain would still be having the key and map without having them confiscated, but itís possible that torture techniques were still in their infancy then. Maybe a Chinese burn and some serious tickling would have been enough to drive Thrain beyond the borders of insanity. Who are we to judge?

If Iím right, then expect a really blinding six or seven minutes of action with PJ throwing all manner of bells and whistles in. Should be fun.

After that, the title of the film comes up with the dwarves making their way to Beornís house. Gandalf is bound to have to have to come up with some exposition here, including the fact that Beorn is not to be messed around with in any way, shape or form. Thorin listens to this, and being Thorin, decides to disregard it.

Accordingly, when Beorn and Thorin actually do meet, and Beorn innocently enquires why theyíre heading towards Mirkwood, Thorin puts his best northern accent on and says 'What is it to you? Our business is our own, bee-master. I carry Orcrist, and I wonít hesitate to stab you in the knee with it, tha knows....í, to Gandalfís increasing despair. After that, it all goes rapidly downhill with fart and belch gags ad nauseam. I give it till the second chorus of 'Blunt the Knivesí when Beorn actually changes shape and becomes a bear with serious dwarvicidal tendencies. That would fit in with what we actually saw in the trailer.

OK, it may not happen quite like that, but I can dream. Good call, or bad call?

'But ere long it escaped our skill, and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way'

Subject User Time
What's the opening scene of DOS likely to be? thursday_next Send a private message to thursday_next Jul 8 2013, 7:12pm
    I always thought Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Jul 8 2013, 7:25pm
    I predict Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Jul 8 2013, 7:38pm
    Bilbo flashback to the Shire Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 8 2013, 7:39pm
        Would be lovely, but... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jul 8 2013, 8:43pm
        I think that's a pretty good idea angelclaw Send a private message to angelclaw Jul 9 2013, 3:28am
        Do you mean Belladonna and Bungo? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 9 2013, 1:52pm
            Whoops! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 9 2013, 2:44pm
    Smaug's childhood Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 8 2013, 8:10pm
        I like that.... thursday_next Send a private message to thursday_next Jul 8 2013, 8:17pm
            Glaurung lol, i had forgotten about him , yes the role model Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 8 2013, 9:02pm
        Maybe they'll even show that his father had a drinking problem, his mother abandoned him at an early age Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2013, 8:31pm
            Tolkien did write a backstory... thursday_next Send a private message to thursday_next Jul 8 2013, 9:00pm
                smaug applying suncream! Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jul 8 2013, 9:04pm
    Assuming it's the Thrain prolouge... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jul 8 2013, 9:28pm
        I like the idea of opening with Thrain-Map-Key. *book spoiler* Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Jul 9 2013, 2:51pm
    Dwarves in Battle Suits Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jul 8 2013, 10:42pm
        I'm guessing Thrain gandalf meeting Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 8 2013, 10:53pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.