Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How--or rather--What does your garden grow?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How--or rather--What does your garden grow?
Well, taters of course
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Squash
Pumpkins
Silver Spoons
Green beans
Lettuce, spinach and/or other Luscious Leaves
Peppers
Cabbage, kale, and /or cauliflower
Broccoli, food of the gods
Corn
Weeds
Flowers (annuals, mostly)
Flowers (perennials, mostly)
Perennials and annuals, about equally
Pheriannath, mostly
Snow (it's winter here)
View Results (130 votes)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 3:16am

Post #1 of 42 (300 views)
Shortcut
How--or rather--What does your garden grow? Can't Post

I feel bad the attempted garden/nature thread on off-topic came to naught. But I thought a poll might revive the idea. Now if I could just revive my virus infected tomato plant! (It's been a weird early summer here.Crazy)

I am trying taters again, and chard for the first time.

And, wonder of wonders, it stopped raining for the two days my cherry tree chose to ripen it's fruit--the first good crop in two years (with stained shirts to prove itLaugh).

So, jump in, don't step on the beans, and tell us what's sprouting up in your yard this year. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 3:26am

Post #2 of 42 (160 views)
Shortcut
You left off green perennials [In reply to] Can't Post

Although hostas have flowers, they're not usually planted for their flowers. And ferns have none. Our yard is predominantly hostas, ferns, myrtle (vinca - again, has flowers for a moment but mostly known as a green ground cover), with some wild woodland plants like jack in the pulpit and meadow rue.

Here's a picture I took on the Fourth:
https://picasaweb.google.com/...#5897249112014419682

We do have some flowering shrubs (rhododendrons and azalea) and lily of the valleys and iris. All those are done blooming and we won't see much in the way of flowers the rest of the summer (although we have a few impatiens stuck here and there to set off the green hostas and one beautiful NZ impatiens in a pot). And we let a few milkweed plants sprout up in the hopes of attracting monarch butterflies. Those will be blooming soon.

And we grow cherry tomatoes in a pot.

My husband is trying some cukes and zukes for the first time. I don't think we have any chance of them doing anything. They were planted too late and our yard is pretty shady.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 3:41am

Post #3 of 42 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I knew I'd forget something. [In reply to] Can't Post

And your yard is gorgeous, and very Hobbity! Smile I can imagine just sitting out there and taking in the deep greens and the whole peaceful ambiance. My mother loves greens, and variegated leaves, and she would be very much at home in your garden. Their backyard used to look a lot like that before it got a bit too hard to take care of, especially with their sandy soil.

We have mostly sun, so annuals work really well. I'm between cameras right now, so I don't have pictures, but I like lots of purples, blues and pinks with yellow or white accents. And some summers I'm suddenly in the mood for deep reds. But this year, I'm back to my traditional colors.

With veggies, I decided to try to grow things that have protein in them as well as tomatoes, lettuce, chard, and green beans, so I'm again trying a Vermont variegated pole bean that was absolutely delicious as bean soup last winter and potatoes, which are supposed to have some protein. Oh, and asparagus! But all I'm getting so far are these feathery fronds, much like a fern, now that I think about it. I hope I get something edible out of it eventually!CrazySmile

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 3:52am

Post #4 of 42 (158 views)
Shortcut
I endeavored to make a cat garden. [In reply to] Can't Post

The catnip took off and blossomed like gangbusters!
The cat grass is very, very sad.
The cat oats looked like they were a lost cause but I think they might be peeking up out of the soil after all! Unless they are something else, it is a bit hard to tell when they are still yet small and I am so inexperienced with seedlings.

And the petunias love the spot they found themselves in - they are exploding with flowers.

Not sure what is going to happen to the blueberries yet ... I'm wondering if lots of new leaves is related to not so many new berries ... I have much to learn!

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 5:05am

Post #5 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
Weeds [In reply to] Can't Post

Black thumb.... being a plant near me is certain doom.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 42 (125 views)
Shortcut
Deer food. mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

My vegetable garden is fenced, so they can only nibble anything that pokes through the fence. But they have already decimated my flower boxes on my deck. It's my fault though, because I thought it was not so dry that they would come on the deck yet. But they have last year's memory, I guess, so now I have to cut off access to the deck, which is a nuisance as well.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2013, 7:11pm

Post #7 of 42 (124 views)
Shortcut
Herbs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the only thing I have actually planted this year, so could not vote for that. Mint, on the theory it will overrun the weeds, and basil, because it is so yummy. But I have lots of lovely weeds, and also pretty perennials, including the blooming kind, that the previous owner of my house put there. Currently blooming are stella d'ors, daisies, coneflowers, a rose, clematis, and some sort of very tall flower with a small, spiky violet blossom. And I can see tiger lilies and hostas are getting ready to bloom soon.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 7:22pm

Post #8 of 42 (120 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Tomatoes, scallions, and watermelons.

Also got pecan, peach, plum, and pomegranate trees.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 7:59pm

Post #9 of 42 (141 views)
Shortcut
This year, I'm NARG. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not-A-Real-Gardener. Frown

I started woefully late in the season, like about 2 months late. I just pulled the last of my pitiful tomatoes, so they won't get baked in the sun. I never got around to planting the zucchini, so at least I don't have to see them suffering.

The weeds, however, are glorious in their profusion and lushness. On little-to-no water. Maybe we should develop a taste for weeds.

My flower beds are all perennials. I don't waste money on annuals anymore, since they usually require more care. As in needing to be replanted every year. I usually don't have time. Also, everything has to be a native Texan or naturalized Texan to survive around here. Water is way too expensive to be dumping on the ground willy-nilly. Tongue

I have high hopes for a fall garden, though...

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 10:21pm

Post #10 of 42 (119 views)
Shortcut
Ulu (breadfruit) & taro, so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

My church is starting a public garden of organic food crops, an activity inspired partly by the Grow Food not Lawns and Permaculture movements. We're starting with native Hawaiian food crops, but will add bananas and vegetables as we go along. We had an all-day design class yesterday, which was wonderful! Most of the food will be given away or sold at low cost in farmers markets in poor neighborhoods.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 2:56pm

Post #11 of 42 (98 views)
Shortcut
At first I envsioned cats sprouting [In reply to] Can't Post

out of the ground.Wink

I bet those are the cat oats. I tried to grow purslane, but I never had before, and I think I pulled up all the seedlings! Hopefully, if you leave them alone, they won't turn into thistles or something alarming.

Is you blueberry bush new? Sometimes they take a couple of years to produce much fruit. I've also heard too much nitrogen fertilzer produces tons of leaves but no fruit with tomato plants, so I wonder if blueberries are similar?

And petunias are some of my all-time favorites, especially the deep purple ones.Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 2:59pm

Post #12 of 42 (97 views)
Shortcut
But if the weeds can make it, maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

there is hope? After all, I've heard that dandelions were once considered a garden plant.Smile

But I have the same problem with indoor plants. I think they abandon all hope as soon as they're in the front door!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:02pm

Post #13 of 42 (98 views)
Shortcut
I always wondered [In reply to] Can't Post

if a fence would work with deer. I don't have any here yet, but they're all around in the suburbs. Glad to know it's possible!

What are you growing for veggies?

I won't even ask what flowers the deer ate--just too sad!Unsure

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 3:07pm

Post #14 of 42 (93 views)
Shortcut
Thistles would be alarming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Petunias do come in so many wonderful colors! I picked white, though. The reason is that several of the flower-pot-stands that I have on my deck are white as is the railing of the pool in the backyard. I also can be indecisive about colors - white is like a non-decision.

I haven't done much with fertilizer but I have been watering the blueberries more than I thought I would be doing because it is soaking up the water that fast. I soak it and then I expected it to take a few days to dry out up to an inch below the surface but it only takes a day or two and all the stalks are greening out and there are tons of new leaves. This all makes me suspect that blueberries are more likely to make berries when the water is more scarce? I don't know but I remember having some in a backyard of a house where I used to live and usually the berries showed up later in the summer - but I don't remember so much greening of stalks and sprouting of leaves on it.

I kind of suspect that what I really have are cat oats because the little green blades poking up don't look like the grass in the backyard and do resemble what the picture on the seed bag looked like - on a very small scale. However, I am pulling up a lot of weeds from their bed. I think the trees in the back are covering the soil of my plants with their seedlings. It's harder, though, to differentiate between tree seedlings and catnip seedlings - it's pretty easy to differentiate an oat blade from a tree seedling leaf. I'm leaving the catnip seedlings and weedlings to grow beside each other a bit before pulling anything now. But I am vicious with the weedlings in the cat oat pot.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:13pm

Post #15 of 42 (92 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Sorry to forget herbs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I think of them as a vegetable of sorts, somehow, although I do know better!Blush

I have lots of spearmint I got from a friend. She squeezes the leaves a bit and puts them in lemonade for an incredible taste! Mostly, I just go out and smell mine.Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:16pm

Post #16 of 42 (98 views)
Shortcut
Ah! An alliterative orchard! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mouth is watering.Smile

Is it hard to grow pomegranate trees?

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 42 (100 views)
Shortcut
Ha! We should have whole discussions [In reply to] Can't Post

on what makes a Garden Purist and whether rhubarb has wings or if the leaves are just for show . . .

I have bad luck with most perennials for some reason, and it's NY so we generally get enough rain. But we lived in Oklahoma for awhile, and the amount of water it took to grow anything was astronomical.

What do you like to grow in a fall garden?Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:31pm

Post #18 of 42 (92 views)
Shortcut
What a fabulous idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have community gardens here, but as far as I know, no organized effort to garden specifically to sell or give to low income areas. I hope it works well in your area--hopefully it will spark interest in other areas and states that don't do this.

And I've always wanted to know what breadfruit tastes like. Can you eat it raw? Is it at all like a banana?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 3:40pm

Post #19 of 42 (96 views)
Shortcut
Pretty easy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just make sure it has plenty of sun and the soil doesn't get waterlogged. And I water all the trees with washing machine water which they seem to love. (Phosphates and all that. But use liquid detergent, avoid bleach and borax additives, and don't use fabric softener in the washer.)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 3:51pm

Post #20 of 42 (98 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if that would work [In reply to] Can't Post

on my cherry trees. They do O.K., but there's a lot less fruit on the older one than there used to be. I use borax frequently, though, so I'd have to do a few loads without it to be safe.

Fabric softener-flavored fruit!Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 4:15pm

Post #21 of 42 (103 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

If the cherry tree has leaf burn it's probably too much borax.

Fabric softeners are full of sodium. If soil pH is 7.5 or higher there's probably too much sodium. To fix that spread gypsum (calcium sulfate) over the soil at a rate of two pounds per 100 square feet about once a month.

However, it sounds like your older cherry tree oversets. Older cherry trees tend to set too many fruits, resulting in smaller cherries. Trim a few younger branches off in early summer. The resultant fruit will be fewer, but larger.

Oddly, my peach tree has the opposite problem. It bears too many large peaches, which can break the branch unless I cull them before they ripen.

Good luck!Smile

Patty
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 5:15pm

Post #22 of 42 (92 views)
Shortcut
When I saw weeds as a choice… [In reply to] Can't Post

It was as if you had been standing in front of my garden and looking down at it.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 5:51pm

Post #23 of 42 (85 views)
Shortcut
Believe me, [In reply to] Can't Post

you are not alone! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2013, 6:40pm

Post #24 of 42 (91 views)
Shortcut
Early harvest this year here [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea Pollantir E-D!

I have harvested and enjoyed tomatoes, yellow squash and first cucumbers are tomorrow. Peppers too, banana and poblano. Perennials are doing well too. Bee balm and sweet vanilla (path to veggie garden) below -

My banana plants are doing very well too, one is bottom left. (I see a random pool float there, didn't notice it while taking the pic!)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 6:54pm

Post #25 of 42 (86 views)
Shortcut
Your perennials [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the perennials you've tried aren't suited to NY. There was a huge learning curve for me to figure out what is suited to Texas. All those beautiful catalogs with gorgeous, fat flowers and green greens that just withered up and died here. I was particularly devastated to learn that peonies and azaleas have little to no chance here. Too hot for peonies and too alkaline for azaleas. Wah.

For the fall garden, we can pretty much plant whatever we planted in the spring. I've had tomatoes on Christmas Day before, although that was a pretty mild winter. But fall gardens tend to do better here, as the weather is getting progressively cooler, rather than progressively hotter. Like right now, you'd think it's great weather for tomatoes. But the nights are too warm to set fruit. I have managed to get tomato plants to survive the summer to have a big head start in the fall. But you pretty much have to water them every day. It's cheaper and easier to get new plants in the fall.

(This post was edited by Alassėa Eruvande on Jul 9 2013, 6:56pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.