The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I need advice !!! Thank you

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 12:03am

Post #1 of 6 (277 views)
Shortcut
I need advice !!! Thank you Can't Post

So I want to buy The Silmarillion book from Amazon and i found there two types of this book , one is paperback and one is Hardcover !!! the thing is that Hardcover one is much more expensive than paperback and i wondering if there is much difference between them !!! well i know that Hardcover books cost more but the difference is like 15$ ...
so my question is : is the text in both books the same or can the cheap one somehow be adapted ??? the number of pages is almost same btw !!!Wink tnx guys

(This post was edited by W1tchK1nG on Jul 8 2013, 12:03am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 12:15am

Post #2 of 6 (168 views)
Shortcut
to my knowlege [In reply to] Can't Post

... they are both the same. perhaps there might be some editing differences across the different printings.

also, if you like the format of hardcover, you could always purchase the hardcover used. used books often provide substantial savings.

when you get it, and as you read it, please do join us in our silmarillion chapter discussions. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 3:19am

Post #3 of 6 (155 views)
Shortcut
The only editing they would do... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is things like fixing typos or other very minor tweaks. The content would be the same, even across different editions. If a book is abridged (shortened) the would have to say so clearly.

Beyond that, the differences are in things like a hard cover (which lasts longer), illustrations, and quality of paper (a "Paperback" at $10.88 will be much better quality paper and binding than the "Mass Market Paperback" at $8.09).

There's the 1977 first edition, and a 2001 second edition. TTed Nasmith's illustrations are wonderful, IMO, and it's worth paying a little more for them.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jul 8 2013, 4:27am

Post #4 of 6 (135 views)
Shortcut
Print Size [In reply to] Can't Post

One difference may be the size of the print. I don't know about you, but I have trouble reading some of the tiny type they use in paperbacks. There was at least one instance where I had to give up reading a book, because, when it was published as a paperback, they had just miniaturized the print from the hardback edition, and I needed a magnifying glass to see it. If the hardback and the paperback have the same number of pages, that's probably the case.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 11:36am

Post #5 of 6 (124 views)
Shortcut
Check whether the edition has maps and family trees (if you like those) [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've read other fantasy works, do you find you use the map? If you find maps useful, worth checking the edition of the Sil you choose does have a map (and that it isn't some teeny thing that is too small to read). Some editions also have family trees of the characters & this can be useful if you're getting confused about who is related to who.

That said, if it's a lot extra just for map & family trees, then you can probably find those items re-created online. Or any question posed to the reading room would be answered quickly, helpfully & politely!

Is a further possibility to get a fancier edition second-hand?

BTW - certainly agree with Elizabeth (as usual Cool) - any abridged edition ought to say so in the description. If you were misled about this, surely you could send the book back for a refund?

Absolutely, do join us in the Silmarillion read-through. We're a good way through the book, but don't worry - discussions of the earlier chapters remain open for further comments if you like.

Personally I find the Sil a tough read, & have found it enormously much more interesting & rewarding to see what others think about it, & to have people eager to answer any questions I have! All kinds of things I didn't expect to be very interesting have turned out to be so thanks to this read-through. Anyone with a book and an opinion is very welcome!
Here's a link to a "contents page" for the early chapter discussions

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jul 8 2013, 11:40am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 9:47pm

Post #6 of 6 (117 views)
Shortcut
Those maps & family trees... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are essential IMO in keeping track of the Elves, especially the host of F-elves. When I first read the Sil many years ago someone suggested making a copy of these pages and putting them in sheet protectors, to keep them handy for reference. I did this with both the maps and family trees, and found it incredibly helpful.

About the maps: assuming you're familiar with Third Age geography, spend some time looking at the First Age maps. Find places you recognize. They're way farther East than you remember, aren't they? Ponder this as you read. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.