Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What is 'the trap' at Dol Guldur?

nhui06
Rivendell

Jul 7 2013, 3:10pm

Post #1 of 11 (1225 views)
Shortcut
What is 'the trap' at Dol Guldur? Can't Post

In the trailer, we see Radagast ask Gandalf 'What if it is a trap'? It got me thinking about the Thrain angle again. In the Empire article, Peter hinted that there will be a father-son theme in this next movie. Perhaps in the Prologue we see Thrain wanting to follow Azog into Moria to finish him off to avenge his father, but he wants his son Thorin to carry off his legacy in Erebor, so he gives Gandalf the map and key, and asks Gandalf not to tell Thorin about him going to kill Azog (since he knows he may fail and die). This is to protect his son.

Flash forward to present, and the Necromencer wants the same map and key to enter Erebor to ambush and capture Smaug, so he has Thrain as a hostage to lure Thorin back (but instead he gets Gandalf). We also find out Azog and Bolg are agents of the Necromencer, hence why Thrain was brought to Dol Guldur.

Thoughts?

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 7 2013, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 11 (659 views)
Shortcut
Check the Vlog [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Vlog there is a part where they show glipses of the Dol Goldur scene and in one of them you can see Thrain leading Gandalf somewhere in Dol Goldur. In Unfinished Tales it was Thrain that gave Gandalf the map and key and it was in Dol Goldur. It could be a flashback to when Gandalf got the key.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 4:58pm

Post #3 of 11 (570 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the Necromancer needs a key to enter the Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

also I don't think that he wants to capture Smaug. How? He wants to use Smaug as a weapon. At least Gandalf fears so.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 11 (391 views)
Shortcut
Trap [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm I think it will be orcs with Bolg attacking Gandalf when he meets Thrain in the dungeons which are controlled by Bolg personally. Could be a Nazgul though...or Thrain himself.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 1:40am

Post #5 of 11 (357 views)
Shortcut
The trap [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably something so evil, so malignant and diabolical, no one dare speak its name. It is set by Sauron after all. The trap could be anywhere between something evil and sadistic, using Thrain as bait, or it could be something as bad as being locked up with the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, and Kanye. Wink I think that would be torture enough.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 8:22am

Post #6 of 11 (242 views)
Shortcut
it will be [In reply to] Can't Post

the partially finished but operational death star and half the imperial fleet

oops wrong film

orcs would really pose little threat to two maiar

they seem to be emphasizing the tombs of the nazgul being empty at one point so based upon that i would say its the nazgul

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 8:23am

Post #7 of 11 (262 views)
Shortcut
First Thrain, then orcs (who fail badly), finally The Nine, sent when the true important and powerful [In reply to] Can't Post

nature of the potential prey is made manifest.

I think it would be, from a cinematic and momentum standpoint, one of the biggest misses in the films to not take what already is given to exist in the actual novels and translate it to film, i.e. Gandalf doing battle with The Nine Nazgul, only transposed to Dol Guldur rather than Amon Sul.

"I galloped to Weathertop like a gale. . . they drew back before me, for they felt the coming of my anger and they dared not face it whilst the Sun was in the Sky. But at night they closed in. . . I was besieged on the hill top in the old ring of Amon Sul. . . I was hard put to it indeed. Such light and flame cannot have been seen on Weathertop since the warbeacons of olde! At dawn I escaped and fled North. .. It was impossible to find you in the wilderness, Frodo, and it would have been folly to try with ALL the Nine at my heels." (of course largely explaining why the Nine seemed diminished in their confrontation with Aragorn.

As Aragorn and Frodo see the lightning flashes of Gandalf's magic in the book from afar, so Radagast might see the lightning and the beacon-like brilliance and realize that his kinsSpirit is in dire straits, thus taking the signal to return and provide an escape vehicle.

THAT would be the most aweome variant I could hope for from this scene in this film.

In Reply To
In the trailer, we see Radagast ask Gandalf 'What if it is a trap'? It got me thinking about the Thrain angle again. In the Empire article, Peter hinted that there will be a father-son theme in this next movie. Perhaps in the Prologue we see Thrain wanting to follow Azog into Moria to finish him off to avenge his father, but he wants his son Thorin to carry off his legacy in Erebor, so he gives Gandalf the map and key, and asks Gandalf not to tell Thorin about him going to kill Azog (since he knows he may fail and die). This is to protect his son.

Flash forward to present, and the Necromencer wants the same map and key to enter Erebor to ambush and capture Smaug, so he has Thrain as a hostage to lure Thorin back (but instead he gets Gandalf). We also find out Azog and Bolg are agents of the Necromencer, hence why Thrain was brought to Dol Guldur.

Thoughts?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 8:32am

Post #8 of 11 (260 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. I think there will be a Bolg and Gandalf confrontation, and if there is any propriety in these films [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg will get his ass handed to him, but The Nine will show up before Bolg is able to be killed, and then the real fireworks will begin. Hopefully. I would have to walk away in shame (as in leave the theatre) if just Bolg and his orcboys were the dreadful challenge for Gandalf The Gray.

In Reply To
the partially finished but operational death star and half the imperial fleet

oops wrong film

orcs would really pose little threat to two maiar

they seem to be emphasizing the tombs of the nazgul being empty at one point so based upon that i would say its the nazgul

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 8 2013, 11:25am

Post #9 of 11 (200 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the torture ideas, Ziggy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll pass them along to Tauriel for use in her orc interrogation scene!

In Reply To
It's probably something so evil, so malignant and diabolical, no one dare speak its name. It is set by Sauron after all. The trap could be anywhere between something evil and sadistic, using Thrain as bait, or it could be something as bad as being locked up with the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, and Kanye. Wink I think that would be torture enough.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 12:54am

Post #10 of 11 (89 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh No matter how much fear Gandalf and Radagast might have for the Necromancer, at least they won't run away. They'll stay and fight! Cool But the Kardashians and them? Even Gandalf and Radagast wouldn't want to deal with them. Nor the orcs. But will Tauriel have patience enough to use them as torture for the orcs? Laugh

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Jul 9 2013, 12:55am)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 12:39pm

Post #11 of 11 (80 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

if they decided to show a confrontation between Gandalf and the Ringwraiths I'd be stunned! (in a good way of course) Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.