Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
why does thorin never smile!!??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 6:40am

Post #1 of 33 (1375 views)
Shortcut
why does thorin never smile!!?? Can't Post

now come on!
every one has a time when they can smile or have a laugh, but why not thorin! What is the big burden that holds him from smiling? the only time I see him smile that I can recall was when he hugs Bilbo. yes, he lost his homeland, witnessed his father and grandfathers downfall, is hunted by azog, has a huge task in reclaiming the mountain, but in all this why not smile!
Aragorn is a similar character, and he smiles multiple times. if anything he has it tougher than poor old oakenshield. He is hunted by Sauron all of his life, has to live in disguise, he is the last of the line of kings, he has to reclaim his throne on the TRUE MIGHTIEST kingdom in middle earth. Aragorn in all these turmoils still manages to smile.
So thorin, if your reading this, please just accept what has happened to you and put a smile on your face in the next movies Smile

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 6:42am

Post #2 of 33 (756 views)
Shortcut
I think the fact that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien never mentions the Middle- earth dentist says a lot.

Permanent address: Into the West

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 7:00am

Post #3 of 33 (780 views)
Shortcut
Thorin does smile [In reply to] Can't Post

First when he enters Bag End and sees Kili. Second when he is talking to Balin and says, "There are a few warriors amongst us", as small as it is but it's still there. Third when he sees Gandalf who has just rescued them from the trolls. Fourth when he sees Kili is safe from being squished by the stone giants.And fifth when he hugs Bilbo.

So I'd say he smiled quite a bit for someone who has been through all he's been through. Richard Armitage has said how hard it is to find things for Thorin to smile about. He's just not a happy, smiley kind of dwarf.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

emre43
Lorien

Jul 7 2013, 7:06am

Post #4 of 33 (691 views)
Shortcut
Thorin and Aragorn are nothing alike [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin reminds me far more of Boromir than anyone else.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 7:09am

Post #5 of 33 (690 views)
Shortcut
Are you suggesting [In reply to] Can't Post

That dwarves don't floss?? Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 7:21am

Post #6 of 33 (660 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin reminds me far more of Boromir than anyone else.

He is more dour and reminds more of Denethor than Boromir.

Like the Joker asked, "Why so serious, son?"

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 7:27am

Post #7 of 33 (595 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure smiling during Azanalbizar would be very good! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

emre43
Lorien

Jul 7 2013, 9:08am

Post #8 of 33 (597 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused, what do you mean why so serious? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was simply saying that Thorin doesn't remind me of Aragorn in the slightest and that I can draw more comparisons between himself and Boromir, in the sense that greed and pride was their downfall.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 7 2013, 9:27am

Post #9 of 33 (559 views)
Shortcut
Because he doesn't have much to smile about? [In reply to] Can't Post

And Thorin does not remind me of either Aragorn or Boromir he has his own, distinct character.

When he does smile, it is a real treat, because it is so rare

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 9:47am

Post #10 of 33 (557 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst greed and pride was their downfall, they have one last act of redemption. Boromir defends the hobbits and accepts that the one ring grasped him. Thorin also makes amends with Bilbo Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

emre43
Lorien

Jul 7 2013, 9:49am

Post #11 of 33 (556 views)
Shortcut
Glad to know somebody does [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 10:38am

Post #12 of 33 (586 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's a Brooder [In reply to] Can't Post

he's broody
and moody
he goes for miles
without smiles
very grumpy
and humpy
a grin has no place
upon his face
no trace
of grace
when Kili throws
a cake at his
boatrace.

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 11:26am

Post #13 of 33 (539 views)
Shortcut
That was... [In reply to] Can't Post

beautiful! *wipes tear*

I simply walked into Mordor.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2013, 2:11pm

Post #14 of 33 (537 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good notation of Thorin's smiles OT. I love the one with Balin there at Bag End. Kind of a wistful smile, gently reminding Balin that not all is lost and that some still have the desire to forge ahead. Ken Stott's Balin is great in response to. I love the scene there between Stott and RA. One of my favorite scenes of the movie.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2013, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 33 (449 views)
Shortcut
Couldnt gandalf have fixed that [In reply to] Can't Post

when he healed whatever was internally wrong with him?

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 33 (391 views)
Shortcut
I found [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First when he enters Bag End and sees Kili. Second when he is talking to Balin and says, "There are a few warriors amongst us", as small as it is but it's still there. Third when he sees Gandalf who has just rescued them from the trolls. Fourth when he sees Kili is safe from being squished by the stone giants.And fifth when he hugs Bilbo.

So I'd say he smiled quite a bit for someone who has been through all he's been through. Richard Armitage has said how hard it is to find things for Thorin to smile about. He's just not a happy, smiley kind of dwarf.

1. Thorin smiles at Kili when he enters Bag End(plenty of these to choose from)

2. Thorin smiles at Balin(forgive the corny slogan, but it was the best one that came up).

3. Thorin smiles at Gandalf's rescue(another tough one to find)

And I didn't have time to look for the other examples.

iduna
Rivendell

Jul 7 2013, 8:34pm

Post #17 of 33 (363 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Thorin does smile. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not very often. He doesn't have a lot to smile about, but he does -- especially at the end of AUJ when he's looking at the mountain in the distance.

Retro315
Rivendell

Jul 7 2013, 8:37pm

Post #18 of 33 (347 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from the "Heir to a ruined kingdom" royalty of them, they couldn't be further apart.

Aragorn is consistently selfless in almost all acts, and his ascension is thrust upon him by the common good and by forming amazing friendships. Thorin's got noble ambitions regarding the restoration of his people, but it's coming from a sense of entitlement and greed. He's not a bad guy, but he's proud, entitled, and willing to hire burglars.

I think Boromir is an apt comparison in that they're both obsessed, and both certainly "redeem themselves by taking one for the team and having a big death scene" - though Boromir is far easier to pity because pure evil was affecting him. Thorin actually sets himself up for The Fall. Denethor's also an apt comparison - they're both entitled; though I think book or film Denethor's never had a taste of the humble pie Thorin has, and his pride and vain ambition and despair are un-Thorin-like. There isn't a lot of nobility in Denethor.

Theoden could be compared to him as well. We all see Theoden as a kindly old king, and easily the best, most striking contrast to Denethor. But Theoden was toiling in darkness like Thorin was until Gandalf showed up a couple times and set his course aright, and both struggle with endangering their friends and families on the road, with the affairs of wizards (and despite having an army with him, indeed Theoden and Eomer "join" The Company and travel with them for a time, experiencing strange episodes along the road.) And of course both fall in the massive battle after leading cavalrous charges that change the tide, both are felled by the Ultimate Black Knight villainous "Dragon" character, but are saved from desecration by allies unlooked for.

There's comparisons to be made between Lords in Middle-earth, but I don't think anyone comes near Aragorn, film or book.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 11:57pm

Post #19 of 33 (288 views)
Shortcut
I dont think Thorin can be compared to Boromir, [In reply to] Can't Post

while its true both suffered most from pride, Boromir was not fighting for himself but his city. He didnt fight for gold but for honour. Boromir was never motivated by riches and jewels, he wished for the Ring to protect his people and land. Thorin would fight for personal wealth and a very large diamond called the Arkenstone, so Boromir is far more noble of spirit and action, and was only corrupted by the Ring for a short time, Thorin was under no such pressure, he was fully in control of his actions, therefore of lesser nobility.

Olessan
Bree

Jul 8 2013, 12:25am

Post #20 of 33 (308 views)
Shortcut
Here's a compilation of him smiling throughout AUJ: [In reply to] Can't Post

Compiled by a tumblr user. I've seen a whole bunch of sets showing this but this is the only one I could find quickly. :P

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 8 2013, 12:53am

Post #21 of 33 (294 views)
Shortcut
Don't Forget. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin smiles a bit at Kili when the nephew boasts Gandalf's putatively impressive
wizardly resume. It's as if THorin approves of Kili's zeal and his confidence in
Gandalf almost comports with his own expectations for the wizard.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 3:46am

Post #22 of 33 (245 views)
Shortcut
Apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was simply saying that Thorin doesn't remind me of Aragorn in the slightest and that I can draw more comparisons between himself and Boromir, in the sense that greed and pride was their downfall.

i was referring to Thorin not you!!! LOL

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 8 2013, 3:58am

Post #23 of 33 (247 views)
Shortcut
Would you smile... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you were that short and had to come off as manly still?

Tongue

emre43
Lorien

Jul 8 2013, 5:52am

Post #24 of 33 (207 views)
Shortcut
Haha ok, my mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to apologise Wink

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 8 2013, 6:55am

Post #25 of 33 (204 views)
Shortcut
Being serious [In reply to] Can't Post

He smiles! He smiled when...

He made a joke in Bag End. "He looks more like a grocer than a burglar" or something similar.

He smiles at the mention of "Taking back Erebor!" at Bag End.

He smiles when he sees Gandalf at the door, again in Bag End.

He smiles at the end a lot as you mentioned.

I would say that Thorin, actually, at this point is holding more pressure than Aragorn was. He saw his grandfathers head get cut off and then defiled, he watched a dragon take everything he knew growing up, he is directly responsible for his whole company(besides Bilbo and Gandalf) including his heirs Kili and Fili, he is supposed to complete what Thrain and Thror never accomplished and so far there has been nothing but tough obstacles in their journey. Plus he is a dwarf which seems to me to mean he is more tough and hardened.

Remember! We have only viewed one of the movies so far so maybe he will smile more! Though we all know that *SPOILERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD*........... he will have any smile wiped off eventually!WinkEvil

Thorin never has had a lot to smile about but he definitely does when the opportunity arrises.

(This post was edited by The Mitch King on Jul 8 2013, 6:59am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.