Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is the worst tasting food you've ever tried?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 11:53pm

Post #51 of 86 (349 views)
Shortcut
It probably is XD [In reply to] Can't Post

"Beware of panthers." ~ The Doctor

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 2:25am

Post #52 of 86 (335 views)
Shortcut
And I thought liver was bad.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just disgusting beyond words!

Slimy, tentacled and looking at you...what are we waiting for?

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 2:28am

Post #53 of 86 (343 views)
Shortcut
When i was young it was brussel sprouts. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember when i was over to my aunts they gave them to me. I could only get one or so down and she raised a fuss. I still could not go further. Although now i can handily eat them.

Fruit cake from ye olden days with cloves and a host of all kinds of lumpy stuff was always an experience at Christmas time.
These days it is turning toward the processed junk as a taste test.. Wonder bread tastes like wet dust. I tasted a deep fried funnel cake at a carnival and it was just overly sweet, oily foul spongy goo Tongue. The processed stuff that is both sweet and salty is not very desirable.

I just remembered, i could not get tomato juice down although i liked V-8. It was very little that i could not eat.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 2:52am

Post #54 of 86 (329 views)
Shortcut
Poor Brussels sprouts, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I'm not one. It is indeed a shame that many a vegetable has been ruined in the eyes of a child, due to overcooking or adult insistence on it being consumed. I am hard pressed to think of a vegetable I dislike, and I attribute this in some part to my luck in growing up in a family that only lightly cooked vegetables, or served them raw.
And I was never made to eat anything, ever. I'm sure this helped too.
I have heard some terrible stories of children sulking at the table for hours with a cold plate of something green and disgusting in front of them...Crazy

And what on earth is a deep fried funnel cake? It doesn't sound like something a person should eat!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 3:20am

Post #55 of 86 (330 views)
Shortcut
Cant stand boiled/steamed brussel sprouts [In reply to] Can't Post

But they are awesome roasted with some olive oil and a little salt and pepper

They have a rich nutty flavor

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 3:27am

Post #56 of 86 (324 views)
Shortcut
Truly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing eatable at a carnival. A funnel cake is a ball of white dough, i think, thrown into an oil fryer, and who knows what and where that oil came from. They would get it out and put powered sugar, i think, all over it.

I was brought up with and liked the whole gambit of greens including salads. Mom always made big tossed salads.We ate a lot of fresh or frozen green beans, spinach, carrots, peas, corn on the cob, broccoli, cauliflower, squash and sweet potatoes, It was steamed in a pressure cooker and raw too.

My aunt was a tough one, but my grandmother on my mother's side could be a terror at timesUnimpressedLaugh.

It looks like we grew up in similar fashion at the dining table:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 7 2013, 4:24am

Post #57 of 86 (328 views)
Shortcut
lutefisk [In reply to] Can't Post

My Swedish grandmother made it every Christmas. Nasty nasty gunky stuff.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 5:01am

Post #58 of 86 (334 views)
Shortcut
A memory just came back to me [In reply to] Can't Post

of a babysitter gettting very cross with me because I refused to eat the grey pile of cold mashed Jerusalem artichoke on my plate. My mother was horrified when I told her someone had tried to make me eat something I didn't want. I have never eaten Jerusalem artichoke to this day. Those childhood experiences can have a big impact.

When I was growing up, our family was a bit of an oddity in our rural Canterbury district. My mother cooked in a very Mediterranean style, a result of a healthy upbringing featuring homegrown produce, and from living in a cosmopolitan part of Wellington surrounded by Greek and Yugoslavian families.
She found it challenging bringing up a family in a farming district where people lived on meat and potatoes, and a lot of people had never heard of green peppers or salami!
Friends of mine recall how novel and exciting it was to eat at our house, and they all remember the raw carrot sticks available as a regular pre-dinner snack. Raw vegetables - fancy that!
A friend told me she freaked out when she saw chives on a plate at our place, because she had never seen it before and thought it was grass that had accidentally landed on her dinner.Laugh

I often dreaded eating at one particular friend's house, where the main vegetables consisted of lumpy mashed potatoes, dry, overcooked broad beans, soggy carrots, and watery, cold silver beet. Ew. Nearly as good (and probably about as nutritious) as funnel cake! Sly

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 7 2013, 3:16pm

Post #59 of 86 (314 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

One might as well eat a car filter while they're eating that liver. Basically the same effect Shocked

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2013, 3:22pm

Post #60 of 86 (311 views)
Shortcut
Brussels sprouts [In reply to] Can't Post

seem to divide a lot of people. I like them myself, but I have found that I like them much better raw. My daughter does them stir-fried -- strip the leaves and stir fry them in butter and balsamic vinegar, add a few bacon bits -- it's great! And more people will eat them that way too.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 3:49pm

Post #61 of 86 (302 views)
Shortcut
I love them but they have to be little ones [In reply to] Can't Post

cut in half & grilled with some balsamic vinegar they are YUMMY!

I find that a lot of vegetables are WAY overcooked by most people - usually boiled to death - no wonder they say that they don't taste good!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 3:55pm

Post #62 of 86 (302 views)
Shortcut
My veggies are getting less and less skillet/steaming time [In reply to] Can't Post

Fresh veggies are so expensive I pretty much stick to cabbage - it's got some good nutrition and it's cheap as all get out. When I stir fry it, it hits the skillet, gets a splash of soy sauce, and cooks for about 2 minutes. It almost seems still raw when I take it out but by time I sit down with grilled chicken and rice, it's just perfect, imo.

That's kind of how I try to treat most veggies I cook. Just a flash of heat and then out of the pan (or pot, if I'm steaming).

oh, and... as much as my husband and I love chicken liver and used to eat it once or twice a month... we don't eat it anymore just for the reason you've stated elsewhere in this thread.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 7 2013, 3:56pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 5:19pm

Post #63 of 86 (294 views)
Shortcut
I also love cabbage [In reply to] Can't Post

chopped up raw with a lime-chili sauce & some cilantro. I can gobble down quite a bit of that in one sitting!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 5:40pm

Post #64 of 86 (291 views)
Shortcut
it the lime chili sauce something bottled? or something you make? // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 11:20pm

Post #65 of 86 (281 views)
Shortcut
There are some things here we will try. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about the tendency for many to over-cook vegetables. There has to be a crunch left to be right for taste and to be nutritionally sound.

I have not tried using balsa wood vinegar. It must be very light....

:) I will try balsamic vinegar. I use a good red wine vinegar with (only) California Olive Ranch' oil for salads every night. I wonder if the red wine vinegar would work also in sauteing?

I know i really like a quick-saute for broccoli with salt/pepper/olive oil. Time to experiment!

— J.R.R. Tolkien

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 11:33pm

Post #66 of 86 (282 views)
Shortcut
Jam and mayonnaise [In reply to] Can't Post

Mixed. Absolutely disgusting.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 11:44pm

Post #67 of 86 (279 views)
Shortcut
Dandelion greens [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife has "harvested" these right off our lawn two or three times when I let the grass grow a bit longer than I should have. Horribly bitter stuff!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 12:14am

Post #68 of 86 (273 views)
Shortcut
easy to make [In reply to] Can't Post

4 tablespoons cup lime juice
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon red chilies
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 8 2013, 12:50am

Post #69 of 86 (267 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I've used rice vinegar and sesame oil on salads before but not on cabbage. I think the lime and chilis are a bit southwestern, aren't they. :-) I don't think I've ever bought chilis except for chili powder, canned green chilis, and red pepper flakes. What kind of red peppers do you use?

I'll give it a try. I suspect my husband won't like it but I like more vinegary dressings than he does. He doesn't really like hot stuff at all but if he isn't going to like the dressing, I don't have to suit his taste.

I just got some Asian chili sauce, Sambal Oelek, that I'm looking to experiment with and I thought maybe your lime chili sauce was similar.

We sometimes make cole slaw with our favorite creamy cole slaw dressing (Jimmy's - might be a Minnesota only product) and then add a bunch of apples and either peanuts or sliced almonds and sometimes raisins or currents or dates. Mostly, just apples and peanuts. It was kind of a mashup between coleslaw and Waldorf Salad. It's a good, quick take to work lunch.

I like a splash of sesame oil and soy sauce on lots of different leftover cooked vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, sugar peas.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2013, 1:29am

Post #70 of 86 (268 views)
Shortcut
Funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on the bananas, Starling! Those and egg yolk are the only "normal" foods that most people like that I can't stand. You may be the only other person I know who can't stand bananas. Even the tiniest bit of banana makes me gag. Yuk!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 8 2013, 2:20am

Post #71 of 86 (282 views)
Shortcut
Red bean paste [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently it's some sort of Korean food. I had it on some sort of bread. The bread was good, but the bean paste filling was revolting.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jul 8 2013, 2:37am

Post #72 of 86 (297 views)
Shortcut
Agree, for me, liver has been the one food I detest. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom used to try to force us to eat it, but I always threw it away. Then she said chicken livers are better...well if better means slightly less horrible ok. Nothing like popping a lovely looking bacon wrapped hors d'oeuvre into your mouth and getting a liver surprise.

Close to liver in taste was escargot...not good.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2013, 5:15am

Post #73 of 86 (265 views)
Shortcut
My problem with haggis... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that is has liver in it, and I am one of those who cannot eat liver. It also has other internal organs which probably have a taste too, but mostly I remember liver. Tongue

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 5:57am

Post #74 of 86 (264 views)
Shortcut
You [In reply to] Can't Post

can be my Deputy Prime Minister. Smile
I reserve my right to eat egg yolks though, but the whites are another matter. Actually, I can eat the yolks, and you can eat the whites - perfect!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 2:03pm

Post #75 of 86 (242 views)
Shortcut
It's a toss-up beteen lutafisk and menudo. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll go with menudo. My husband and I each got a bowl of it at a street fair, and after one taste we decided it was going to go into the trashcan either before we ate it or after, and we opted for before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.