Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
DURIN'S Bane VS SMAUG The Magnificent! Fight Fire With Fire!

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 3 2013, 2:41pm

Post #1 of 15 (970 views)
Shortcut
DURIN'S Bane VS SMAUG The Magnificent! Fight Fire With Fire! Can't Post

-Balrog Has got a nasty blade, a quite fiery whip, and LOVES fire!

-Smaug has got more than enouph fire and wind impenetrable scales.

New Rule: Balrog's Wings are no longer useless, both can fly. Both are placed on the plains of Gorgoroth for a nice large arena, who wins?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 3 2013, 3:44pm

Post #2 of 15 (834 views)
Shortcut
The Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that the Balrog is a being of shadow and flame, I somehow get the impression that dragon fire wouldn't be much use against him.

The Balrog would crush Smaug methinks.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 3 2013, 3:46pm

Post #3 of 15 (823 views)
Shortcut
The balrog with wings [In reply to] Can't Post

Though they seem to be quite evenly matched. But I think the balrog wins, simply because I imagined the balrog as more terrifying and unconquerable.

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 3 2013, 4:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (822 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

While Smaug is temporarily bemused on whether his opponent has wings or not, Durin's Bane bops him in the nose.

Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins.

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 3 2013, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 15 (825 views)
Shortcut
Balrog would win easily [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin's bane was a maia who fought in every major war of the greatest Dark Lord Morgoth. After he was awaken of couple thousand years of sleep he killed King Durin VI , King Nain and many others , he claimed the oldest and the greatest dwarven city of Moria alone and would have kept it forever if not for Gandalf the Grey which defeated Balrog but he died as well !!!
Now let's see what Smaug did , He attacked a peaceful dwarven city unexpectedly and killed couple of dwarves and then slept on top of the gold for 60 years after what he was killed by a bird and an skilled archer ( bard the bowmen) i think it's obvious that they cannot be matched WinkWinkLaughLaugh

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 3 2013, 7:23pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 3:39am

Post #6 of 15 (802 views)
Shortcut
I'll disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Durin's bane was a maia who fought in every major war of the greatest Dark Lord Morgoth. After he was awaken of couple thousand years of sleep he killed King Durin VI , King Nain and many others , he claimed the oldest and the greatest dwarven city of Moria alone and would have kept it forever if not for Gandalf the Grey which defeated Balrog but he died as well !!!
Now let's see what Smaug did , He attacked a peaceful dwarven city unexpectedly and killed couple of dwarves and then slept on top of the gold for 60 years after what he was killed by a bird and an skilled archer ( bard the bowmen) i think it's obvious that they cannot be matched WinkWinkLaughLaugh

You are putting a large emphasis on what they DID do compared to what they CAN do. Tolkien wrote them a certain way but the fight is not happening according to any book. Belittling Erebor in comparison to Moria is a little ridiculous. Wasn't Moria a "peaceful dwarven city" too? Wasn't the Balrog's appearance "unexpected" too? Saying Moria was the oldest means just that...the OLDEST! Calling it the "greatest" is only preferential at best. Erebor wasn't a wussy city or something. You named the dwarves the Balrog killed by name and then act as if the Erebor dwarves are so much more inferior than the Moria ones. They are all just dwarves and none of them could kill either a dragon or a Balrog. Smaug probably killed more people than the Balrog(Dale AND Erebor) and then he held the great mountain for 60 years! That is impressive in itself even if you want to try to put an unimpressive spin on it. A bird did not kill him, a special arrow did. You can't just belittle everything Smaug did like destroying Dale, Laketown and taking Erebor while acting like the Balrog was just so much more impressive.

The Balrog apparently can't even fly(if they even have wings). The one in the movies had wings and still couldn't fly!Laugh Just because Gandalf happened to run into the Balrog doesn't mean that the Balrog is stronger because of that. No no the Balrog was killed! If Smaug is weaker than why didn't Gandalf just go kill him himself? Smaug could only be hurt in one spot. He is way bigger than the Balrog and can fly. He has hands able to grab(according to AUJ) so he could probably throw huge boulders at him. The Balrog couldn't hit Smaug with that whip or sword. Smaug's fire is different than the Balrog's and to say it wouldn't hurt the Balrog is not really supported by any book evidence. Saying the Balrog would win because he is a special being is really just an argument from authority. How many more powerful/special beings have to be killed by small average folk(Frodo and Sauron anyone?) before we stop saying this or that person would win because they have a special nature?

(This post was edited by The Mitch King on Jul 6 2013, 3:41am)

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 7 2013, 2:25am

Post #7 of 15 (799 views)
Shortcut
Both can fly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Description of this post, I stated both can fly. Although that might be a deviation from the books, I put that in there for fun. So yes, both can fly.....but only in this post. shhhh :)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 4:59am

Post #8 of 15 (811 views)
Shortcut
NOOOOOO [In reply to] Can't Post

I still take SHHHHHMAUUGGGGG Wink

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 7 2013, 11:28am

Post #9 of 15 (779 views)
Shortcut
:D :D :D u win [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are putting a large emphasis on what they DID do compared to what they CAN do. Tolkien wrote them a certain way but the fight is not happening according to any book. Belittling Erebor in comparison to Moria is a little ridiculous. Wasn't Moria a "peaceful dwarven city" too? Wasn't the Balrog's appearance "unexpected" too? Saying Moria was the oldest means just that...the OLDEST! Calling it the "greatest" is only preferential at best. Erebor wasn't a wussy city or something. You named the dwarves the Balrog killed by name and then act as if the Erebor dwarves are so much more inferior than the Moria ones. They are all just dwarves and none of them could kill either a dragon or a Balrog. Smaug probably killed more people than the Balrog(Dale AND Erebor) and then he held the great mountain for 60 years! That is impressive in itself even if you want to try to put an unimpressive spin on it. A bird did not kill him, a special arrow did. You can't just belittle everything Smaug did like destroying Dale, Laketown and taking Erebor while acting like the Balrog was just so much more impressive.

The Balrog apparently can't even fly(if they even have wings). The one in the movies had wings and still couldn't fly!Laugh Just because Gandalf happened to run into the Balrog doesn't mean that the Balrog is stronger because of that. No no the Balrog was killed! If Smaug is weaker than why didn't Gandalf just go kill him himself? Smaug could only be hurt in one spot. He is way bigger than the Balrog and can fly. He has hands able to grab(according to AUJ) so he could probably throw huge boulders at him. The Balrog couldn't hit Smaug with that whip or sword. Smaug's fire is different than the Balrog's and to say it wouldn't hurt the Balrog is not really supported by any book evidence. Saying the Balrog would win because he is a special being is really just an argument from authority. How many more powerful/special beings have to be killed by small average folk(Frodo and Sauron anyone?) before we stop saying this or that person would win because they have a special nature?

Ok , maybe i underestimated SHmaug a bit Wink Laugh Laugh Laugh

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 7 2013, 12:01pm

Post #10 of 15 (797 views)
Shortcut
Shmouug [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, Mr.Shmaug, explain how you will DEFEAT the balrog. Cool

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 8 2013, 6:37am

Post #11 of 15 (783 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ok, Mr.Shmaug, explain how you will DEFEAT the balrog. Cool

Are you asking me how the last of the Great Wyrms could defeat a balrog that was beholden to a master at one point and was fortunate to escape death, to have happened to go to bed in Moria, kill dwarves, then become famous because of the location he was in??

Well my answer would have to be from Smaug himself.

"I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears! The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!"

The fact that the Balrog needs a specific specification(the ability to fly) is a nod in itself that Smaug has a natural upper hand.

Wink

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 1:11pm

Post #12 of 15 (762 views)
Shortcut
Naah [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, don't give me the sleep thing. Shmaug took a dwarven mountain and slept for 60 years in that thing. However he got killed by.....an arrow.Sly

As for the Balrog, I took another maiar wizard 8 days to kill it, while the balrog still killed him as well. Smaug is not going to have a good day trying to kill the balrog. First of all, Smaug's breath is useless. Balrog makes fire from himself and Smaug would just help the balrog some more. The ONLY way Smaug is going to have a chance of attacking the Balrog would be up close and personal. That Jaw is not getting nowhere near him. He will slice off those wings and gladly slice off you head.

Besides, we both know all the Balrog needs to do is roar and thats enouph the have Smaug running for another 60 years. Sly

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jul 8 2013, 4:29pm

Post #13 of 15 (770 views)
Shortcut
i think the Balrog would win [In reply to] Can't Post

because he is basically made out of fire and smaug's only attack is basically fire breath, so I don't think Smaug would do much to Durin's Bane. However, both are extremelly awesome!Cool

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Jul 9 2013, 9:36pm

Post #14 of 15 (754 views)
Shortcut
yes, maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agreed with you( until i thought about it a little more) but the main thing is that as tolkien says balrog is twice as high as man that makes him under 3.50 meters which is huge for a man but for Shamug .... hmmmm , i don't think so !!! well his size is uncertain but in PJ's movie ( I did some calculations Wink) only the length of his head is from 8 to 12 meters Wink !!! impressive isn't it ? well imagine how big he is !!! he can easily just swallow balrog (technically speaking Laugh ) !!! but it is strange though that one arrow killed him :)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:09am

Post #15 of 15 (818 views)
Shortcut
SMAUG [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey, don't give me the sleep thing. Shmaug took a dwarven mountain and slept for 60 years in that thing. However he got killed by.....an arrow.Sly

As for the Balrog, I took another maiar wizard 8 days to kill it, while the balrog still killed him as well. Smaug is not going to have a good day trying to kill the balrog. First of all, Smaug's breath is useless. Balrog makes fire from himself and Smaug would just help the balrog some more. The ONLY way Smaug is going to have a chance of attacking the Balrog would be up close and personal. That Jaw is not getting nowhere near him. He will slice off those wings and gladly slice off you head.

Besides, we both know all the Balrog needs to do is roar and thats enouph the have Smaug running for another 60 years. Sly

Well give me evidence that dragons fire can't hurt a Balrog and I'll hop to your side! Wink

Seriously in a close battle I am taking Smaug. He is gigantic and clever and can fly. Tolkien had to give him a lame death because he had no idea how else to kill this monster he had built up so much!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.