Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
a travel thread: where do you live and why should we come visit?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jul 6 2013, 3:30pm

Post #26 of 67 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I would imagine you're swamped with tourists this week in particular, and will probably continue to have higher than average visitation the whole year for the anniversary. I was half considering trying to find a Civil War tour to join and see many of the major sites, but then thought better of going these two years. It's funny - I've seen many of the major Revolution sites (Boston, Philadelphia, Annapolis, Yorktown/Colonial, Williamsburg and just last week Guilford Courthouse as a daytrip from my brother's home), but we've never done the Civil War sites. I think it's because it's a war we still feel very badly about. And if the wording of the memorial at the Texas Capitol in Austin is any indication, it's one the South still feels extremely bitter about.

I think you'll start getting relief next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Shiloh and Antietam were last year, and I think the two remaining big anniversaries next year are the surrender and Lincoln's assasination.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jul 6 2013, 3:46pm

Post #27 of 67 (185 views)
Shortcut
New York! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have almost a dozen National Park units, most notably the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (which is still closed due to Hurricaine Sandy damage), plus my native Bronx's Zoo, which is neck and neck with San Diego as the country's (and probably the continent's) best. We also arguably have the best theatre scene in the world. But to me, our main draws are our world class museums - especially the Metropolitan Museum of Art and American Museum of Natural History. I still like meandering through the Met's European Painting and Egyptian galleries, and the AMNH has a special place in my heart. I grew up with the wildlife dioramas (the African and North American halls in particular), and the two dinosaur halls - the world's best - fired me up in my youth to the point that I can now safely say that I have a lifelong interest in them. If you have an interest in dinosaurs, you have to get here eventually.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 6 2013, 4:07pm

Post #28 of 67 (168 views)
Shortcut
Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA (3-4 hours north of Chicago on Lake Michigan) [In reply to] Can't Post

Green Bay, WI

Of course, home of The Packers, an american football team owned by the people of the city itself. If you had the money you could watch the game from swanky box seats. Otherwise, like the rest of us in town, you could join the weekly city-wide party on game night at your favorite sports bar, tailgate party (usually involving your pickup truck‘s tailgate, some brats, some beers, a grill, and some crazy people who have had a few already by the afternoon - all right out in a parking lot or street), or buddy’s house. There are a ridiculous number of bars here, in general. It is also a small town with enough hotel and restaurants to cater to big-city professional football team crowds, so even when it isn’t game day there is always good food around. But if the “game is on” expect (1) to go nowhere within 3 blocks of the stadium and (2) a ghost town of evacuated streets until the game is over (with the exception of sports bars etc.) because the whole city pretty much watches the game and parties every week (during football season).

If you like the outdoors, you are in luck. There are many people who come through Green Bay from Chicago and Milwaukee for any or multiples of: hunting, fishing, kayaking, camping, snowmobiling, boating, and the like. If you want to “get away” then north of the city, if you drive far enough, there are zones without cell phone service and zones where pushing “search” on your radio just gives you endless cycling through radio frequencies. Many of these areas are in or near the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (which airs televesion news out of Green Bay incidentally and is home to more Packers fans than Lions fans). If you were to go out for a “getaway” then it is likely that Green Bay would be your last stop or the airport of your last flight so you would want to stock up on supplies here. Many country locals from all around make trips to Green Bay for shopping. Nearby (like 45 min away - again, less time than driving through clogged city traffic), we have Door County which hosts all kinds of arts and crafts, cherry festivals, and a renaissance faire (as well as hang gliding). There are plenty of beaches at varying levels of pristine wilderness, contaminated factory zones, and public designated areas for beach access.
You can think of us like The Prancing Pony in Middle Earth, that one last stop before you hit the raw, pristine wilderness.

Green Bay is one of the top 10 happiest cities according to twitter! No wonder I like living here so much!
http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/happiest-city-america_b36818

Green Bay also rates uncharacteristically high for such a small town in the areas of gaming, gamers, and game-players (not just sports). We have a great game store, Gnome Games, that hosts all kinds of weekly gaming events. People do come into town from surrounding areas to play here and I think some professional level qualifiers happen here. We also have an Amtgard group that has made some waves in the past and had some fun events as well as our own gaming convention, Chaoticon.

There are small scale theaters, at least one night club, and museums like the Neville Public Museum and things. The Fox Valley (including Appleton and Oshkosh) hosts even better shopping and a great comedy club (The Skyline Comedy Café). It’s only half an hour away (so long as there isn’t traffic for a Packer Game interfering). That is less time than it would take to get across town in a city like Milwaukee or Chicago. The Fox Valley also has a great folk music society, the Green Apple Club. Green Bay has a christian coffee house that plays live music about every week too, the Cup of Joy. There is a fun children’s museum that my niece’s love to visit. Antiquing is big around here, as well. We also have a Botanical Gardens that hosts some events, even in the winter. A great deal of Native American History is accessible here. We also have a Train Museum. Nearby in Oshkosh, there is the EAA AirVenture Museum and the Bong Recreational Area is a great place for launching rockets or other air vehicles as well as other things.

The greater Green Bay area is home to numerous universities and community colleges. Most of them don’t rate that high (that honor is reserved for The University of Wisconsin, Madison, I think - but Madison has connections to almost all of them).

Of course you can stop by Milwaukee and/or Chicago on your way (you would almost have to unless you were flying in and just peeking at O’Hare or coming in from Minnesota). Chicago needs little explanation, I think. Milwaukee is home to all kinds of micro-breweries and things in addition to a lot more. Every once in a while, we get a big act like “The Lion King” to come up to our Weidner Center and visit us as an extra stop on a tour that includes Chicago.

My take on it:
I love living here. I am surprised a little that such a small town would rate high like it does and offer some of the things it offers, but I can’t complain! I’d say that it is an awesome place to visit for a game or for shopping and / or as a stop along the way to some other place. Part of me is secretly happy that I didn’t get jobs that I applied for that would have taken me farther away from my home town than I would like to be. It is hard to find all of these things in such an accessible way without the costs of crowds and heavy traffic or other “big city” stressors.
The city and surrounding area remind me in general of a bigger city that somebody stepped on. We have all kinds of things that big cities have but they are smaller and everything is all spread out with trees and parks in between.
If anyone did think about coming here, they need to be warned that public transit stinks here (mostly it doesn’t exist - there is one train that makes one or two trips to Milwaukee a day and maybe Greyhound makes one or two stops a day here - the bus system is clunky and inconvenient and likely to not even reach the places you want to go) so you really need your own car. Period. Rent one if you have to.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 4:18pm

Post #29 of 67 (162 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite English Country Dances is called "Portsmouth" [In reply to] Can't Post

shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkw7Heg5cao

but when we do it to recorded music, we use a kick-ass version by the band, Pyewacket.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 4:25pm

Post #30 of 67 (160 views)
Shortcut
Using "Kick-a**" and "English country dances" in a sentence... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's why we love you Magpie! CoolAngelic (Made me smile and smile!)

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 4:28pm

Post #31 of 67 (169 views)
Shortcut
We vacationed a number of years in Door County [In reply to] Can't Post

and during one of those years, stopped off in Green Bay, catching the country fair. It was great fun. I love small towns for visiting especially during events like this. Larger towns have benefits but every event seems to aim for massive crowds which I hate.

I would love to live on one of the Great Lakes. Before moving to Minnesota, I lived in Michigan... midstate, but close enough to make a day at Lake Michigan very doable. I miss the Lakes.

That's interesting about gamers. Like I said, it's big here, too. Board games, Magic, and prolonged D&D type campaigns. Our social crowd has regular gaming parties. My son was even playing Tékumel (developed around the time of D&D) for awhile with one of the people who helped develop it.

I'm not a football fan so I won't get into the Packer Viking rivalry. :-)

You're not far from Marquette University and the Tolkien collection... have you been?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 4:43pm

Post #32 of 67 (159 views)
Shortcut
everyone likes to think of ECD as that lovely, flowy Jane Austen stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it can have it's moments. Some of my ECD pals get privately a little annoyed at the Jane Austen-ish folks. They want to make the dance all romantic and flowery and showy when it's not really.

During one of their dance tunes, Mount Hills, Pyewackett goes into this Caribbean thing that's fun.

Pyewackett is great and they did more than just ECD.
http://www.amazon.com/...laret/dp/B0000283A5/

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 6 2013, 4:52pm

Post #33 of 67 (158 views)
Shortcut
Brett Favre [In reply to] Can't Post

I could go on ... but I agree ... perhaps that is a conversation for another time. If you grow up here in Green Bay, then it is hard to not be a fan of The Packers ... so ... what can I say?

I suspect that there are some major similarities between your area and mine - coming from different perspectives, of course. Wisconsin does have some of those "special places" that you brought up - but I don't visit them too often (too busy partying and rolling dice - at least now that I am home, anyway Angelic - actually I have so much fun here with weekly events and socializing that I often don't get around to things that I otherwise would). I know that parts of Milwaukee have a similar outdoorsy-outpost feeling to what we have here. I have only been to Milwaukee for conferences and at those events I have tended to get so wrapped up in the subject matter of the conference that I missed out on what the hosting town has to offer.

My social group also has regular gaming parties but we play almost exclusively GURPS. If there is anything we want from another system, we just port it into GURPS which is designed for doing precisely that. That would be awesome to be part of a dev. team / play-testing team for a new game!

Yes - I am aware of the Marquette University Tolkien collection, although I haven't gone to see it yet. I don't know why!? I get so busy when I am here at home!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 5:57pm

Post #34 of 67 (170 views)
Shortcut
my son wasn't part of the development team [In reply to] Can't Post

He wasn't born when Tekumel was being developed! He was just playing with one of the guys who had been part of the development.

I couldn't have any conversation about football as it interests me not in the least. I just wonder why people who go shirtless, paint their faces purple, and wear yellow yarn braids are considered fun fans we appreciate but people who speak Klingon are weird and shouldn't have children (yes, one of our local news personages said that about some Star Trek fans).

I have followed baseball in the past and can enjoy watching a game now and then. And I attended basketball games in high school and rooted for the home team. But I have never been interested in football nor participated in any of the culture associated with it. (although stadium deals are something I follow closely)

I don't think the Marquette collections are open normally. I think you have to arrange to visit. I attended a Tolkien conference there in 2004 and was able to see some of the items on display.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 6 2013, 5:58pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 6 2013, 6:15pm

Post #35 of 67 (156 views)
Shortcut
...but with [In reply to] Can't Post

...a gorgeous park, surrounded by beautiful countryside, near the ocean, only a few hours from "Edoras", and full of wonderful people!

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 6 2013, 6:41pm

Post #36 of 67 (150 views)
Shortcut
That would be why, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

About the Marquette University collection. Makes sense.
I'd say the same about your son not actually being part of the dev. team - I still think that it would be fun in general!
A Tolkien conference also sounds like it would be lots of fun! Unfortunately, as gamer-geeky as my friends and family are, I think that it would be unlikely that any of them would want to go and when I am here at home I start to settle into a very social mode that pulls back from the normal loner in me that isn't afraid to go to things like that by myself. It's kind of almost a jeckyl-and-hyde type phenomenon.

Wow - in my opinion, most people are weird (and some just hide it better than most) so we would all be in big trouble if that were strong enough criteria for not having children.

When you grow up in a small town as inundated with the football culture as Green Bay, WI is - you either accept it and learn to enjoy it or develop a reaction against it (in most cases - there are some exceptions). I wonder sometimes if my Packers fandom somehow contributes to a general "fannishness" in me that spills over into Tolkien fandom and other fandoms ... I'm not sure though ... it's hard to compare.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2013, 7:02pm

Post #37 of 67 (149 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! Christchurch is so worth a visit [In reply to] Can't Post

in its own right, and it is the gateway to magical Edoras, as you say, and vast braided rivers, majestic mountains, peaceful farming communities and long stretches of empty highway. Friends who have just moved there would second the wonderful people and are impressed with the energy in the city. We know you are wondering when there will be a "normal" to welcome people back to, Starling, but there's no reason for them not to come now.Heart

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 11:09pm

Post #38 of 67 (130 views)
Shortcut
I previewed the whole album... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but it can have it's moments. Some of my ECD pals get privately a little annoyed at the Jane Austen-ish folks. They want to make the dance all romantic and flowery and showy when it's not really.

During one of their dance tunes, Mount Hills, Pyewackett goes into this Caribbean thing that's fun.

Pyewackett is great and they did more than just ECD.
http://www.amazon.com/...laret/dp/B0000283A5/

...very nice selection! I have an album of Elizabethan that sounds very similar to some of these pieces. You are right, very different than strict drawing room like we see in costume dramas. Thanks for putting up the link Magpie, I may get that album after I look at it a bit more.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 11:39pm

Post #39 of 67 (124 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Lissuin, and Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

We need all the friends we can get right now!

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 8:05am

Post #40 of 67 (120 views)
Shortcut
Annapolis Maryland [In reply to] Can't Post

Quaint tourist town on the Chesapeake Bay. Seafood, history, Naval Academy, arts, sailing, boating, fishing, Quiet Warers Park, crabbing. Close to Baltimore, Washington DC, Ocean City, Rohobeth Beach.

acheron
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 6:06pm

Post #41 of 67 (113 views)
Shortcut
Annapolis is fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been out there a few times to go to Rams Head On Stage to see some concerts. Awesome venue and it's fun to walk around the city beforehand.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 10:10pm

Post #42 of 67 (97 views)
Shortcut
We just went through there on the 4th :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Quaint tourist town on the Chesapeake Bay. Seafood, history, Naval Academy, arts, sailing, boating, fishing, Quiet Warers Park, crabbing. Close to Baltimore, Washington DC, Ocean City, Rohobeth Beach.

We spent our vacation at Rehoboth Beach :) We have a friend originally from Annapolis and he suggested Dewey beach, but we found a hotel in Rehoboth instead. Worked out, though ^^

"Beware of panthers." ~ The Doctor

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 8 2013, 12:03am

Post #43 of 67 (102 views)
Shortcut
If any of you are Coming to Colorado? [In reply to] Can't Post

Look Bomby UP!
Been here for 50+ years...
Vail, Ski Bum 1973 - 1980
Talk about Mountains, we got them...

Most of our Mountains Bomby knows...

Downtown Denver for the past 10 years,
and Close to Everything!
Sometimes Bomby thinks the Chamber of Commerce
should give Bomby an Award...
since is somewhat an Ambassador for Colorado?

Jus' to Moot with any of you would be such a Treat since, Bomby doesn't have Goldberry anymore.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2013, 5:09pm

Post #44 of 67 (77 views)
Shortcut
The only time [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to New York City was for the Socitey of Vertebrate Paleontologists meetings back when I was in high school. I really didn't like all the hustle and bustle of such a big city, but the one thing I really did enjoy was the AMNH. The dinosaur halls naturally fascinated me, and I loved all the dioramas too. Everyone should have a chance to visit there sometime in their life!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2013, 5:40pm

Post #45 of 67 (71 views)
Shortcut
Northeastern Masssachusetts [In reply to] Can't Post

But I live in a pretty small town (25,000) so people don't generally make the trip for the town itself. The town has an annual Apple Blossom festival complete with parade and carnival in May, an ice-cream stand famed for its generous portion sizes (and now also featuring mini-golf, bumper boats, and arcades), and beaches (on lakes, one of which I live on). In winter, there is a downhill ski area in town.

More realistically - greater Boston/New England is worth a trip! It's one of the oldest-settled parts of the US so there are plenty of historical and quaint buildings. Boston is a major city with a lot of culture (MIT and Harvard, a great Aquarium, museums, music performances, etc.). Cape Cod is not too far and offers more beaches, whale watching, deep-see fishing for those so inclined. New Hampshire and Vermont offer mountain scenery and downhill skiing (in the winter). And in my opinion the region is worth seeing just for its famed fall foliage, it's what I missed most when I was living in other parts of the US:

https://www.google.com/...biw=1366&bih=641

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jul 8 2013, 5:41pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 10:19am

Post #46 of 67 (79 views)
Shortcut
I've been slowly working my way [In reply to] Can't Post

through North America's main dinosaur museums and sites. I got the ROM in Toronto under my belt last year (the fantastic Ultimate Dinosaurs exhibit was on display - it's traveling now and at this point is in Cincinnati, I believe) and hope to run over to Pittsburgh this fall to finally see the Carnegie.

Have you heard about the conference in the Dinosaur Diamond next year? I read about it on the Dinosaur News webzine. Two days of lectures, but also field trips to just about all the main sites in the Diamond, including the Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry and an option to add on a daytrip to Dinosaur National Monument. I'm seriously considering it.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2013, 2:09pm

Post #47 of 67 (61 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you're doing a great job of satisfying your inner-paleontology-geek. Smile

Dinosaurs are pretty much a way of life for me, since my dad's a palaeontologist. I went on a lot of digs with him as I was growing up; have to admit I was generally happier spending the hottest part of the day under a bush reading a book, and the rest of the day chasing lizards and snakes! My dad's in a new BBC documentary that's just been released in the UK. He's got the video, and he showed it to Eldarion and me the other night. Afterwards, we asked Eldarion if he was surprised to see Granddad in the video. Eldarion thought for a moment, then said nonchalantly, "Nah...". We asked Eldarion how many other kids in New Zealand he thought might have palaeontologist dads in videos like this. He said, "Oh, about 398." That put Granddad in his place! Wink

Haven't heard of the Dinosaur Diamond conference next year, but I'm sure it'd be fun. You should do it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2013, 5:07pm

Post #48 of 67 (50 views)
Shortcut
Michigan!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very Shire-like. We have Sand Dunes taller than most city buildings, surrounded by fresh-water lakes that you'll never see the other side of from the shore, hills covered with trees and virgin pine forests, more natural lakes in the lower peninsula than you can count, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox AND Johnny Appleseed, a 5-mile long suspension bridge connecting the upper Peninsula to the lower Peninsula... and everyone living below the bridge in the lower P are called trolls while the upper P's are Yoopers. The cliffs on insanity so beautiful on the edge of the Great Lakes, they make you cry. More lighthouses than you could see in a week. Mackinac Island (where Somewhere In Time was filmed) that has no vehicles save a fire engine and ambulance. The rest of us walk, ride a bike, or horse-drawn carts. Expansive, flat farmlands as far as the eye can see; Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum (built by Henry Ford); Motown! There's so much to do and every type of environment you could imagine! Fishing, hunting (bear, deer, wild hog, turkey...), skydiving, skiing, camping, museums, Detroit Zoo, Tulip Festival in Holland, MI, Nascar racing, Amish farms and food, on and on and on...

Hold up your right hand, fingers closed, thumb slightly out, the palm facing you. Now hold your left hand sideways, flat-palm facing you, thumb slightly up. Now, hold your left hand above the tip of your right hand... Left hand about midway just below your little finger... there are the upper and lower Peninsulas. Smack dab in the middle of your right palm is where I am :)

Am I driving you crazy yet?

When I went to Wellington, NZ a few years back, it was easy to show people where I lived. PLUS, I told them we're the only State that waves HI.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 9 2013, 6:40pm

Post #49 of 67 (60 views)
Shortcut
Texas [In reply to] Can't Post

But this area is already over run with all kinds of "foreigners" (retirees, college students, tax-escaping Californians, etc.) that I'm afraid to expound on the awesomeness of Texas too much. You'd never want to leave here. TongueCool

But if you must come, go to the Alamo. San Antonio is a nice tourist destination.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 9 2013, 9:26pm

Post #50 of 67 (36 views)
Shortcut
What's the documentary titled, Ro?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.