Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
British & Irish Lions Rugby Tour of Australia
Poll: British & Irish Lions Rugby Tour of Australia
Lions 3-0
Australia 3-0
Lions 2-1
Australia 2-1
Lions 2-0 (one draw)
Australia 2-0 (one draw)
Lions 1-0 (two draws)
Australia 1-0 (two draws)
0-0 (three draws)
What the deuce is rugby??
View Results (11 votes)

Ref
Rivendell

May 28 2013, 1:27pm

Post #1 of 18 (584 views)
Shortcut
British & Irish Lions Rugby Tour of Australia Can't Post

What are your predictions on the British and Irish Lions rugby tour of Oz? As you can see, I've not included the matches against the regional teams, just the Aussie national one.

Luinnár
Rivendell

May 28 2013, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 18 (223 views)
Shortcut
What exactly is rugby? [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard it described as sort of like football except rougher. BlushEvil

Ref
Rivendell

May 28 2013, 4:04pm

Post #3 of 18 (221 views)
Shortcut
RE: Luinnar [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/TlZyQylOKv4

Take a butchers at that vid. I am somewhat biased, living in Leicester (best rugby team out there: the Tigers!), with parents both from there. Grandpa on my mother's side was Welsh and my father lived in South Africa when he was a kid. Rugby IS the only sport Wink

Starling
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 6:14pm

Post #4 of 18 (205 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand's national religion. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 28 2013, 7:35pm

Post #5 of 18 (197 views)
Shortcut
Lions 2-1. [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure Gatland's a better coach than Deans, and Gatland's squad have more respect for him than the Aussies do for Deans.

Also, I fangirl Sam Warburton and Brian O'Driscoll. Cool

Ref
Rivendell

May 28 2013, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
RE: Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

*nods*

Gatland has been a great coach for Wales, and I'm hoping that it turns out that way for the Lions too. Warburton is one brilliant player, I rate him highly. He's akin to Johnno (Martin Johnson): quiet, gets the job done, but keeps control of his team.

Ref
Rivendell

May 28 2013, 7:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
RE: Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

Much like Wales then Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 28 2013, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
I was really impressed with him [In reply to] Can't Post

during the World Cup in NZ in 2011, particularly in his leadership of the team. Wales played one of its pool matches in my hometown, New Plymouth, against Namibia - the atmosphere was incredible as the locals just had a ball by supporting both teams. :)

And I still think that kick went inside the posts in their quarter-final against Australia!

In Reply To
Warburton is one brilliant player, I rate him highly. He's akin to Johnno (Martin Johnson): quiet, gets the job done, but keeps control of his team.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 29 2013, 10:53pm

Post #9 of 18 (169 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what to vote on this.....other than the 0-0 (three draws) or what the heck is rugby. I think someone wins at least one game and I know what rugby is! I have no idea who is better or any history of these clubs!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 29 2013, 11:47pm

Post #10 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well, seeing as you asked... [In reply to] Can't Post

The British and Irish Lions is a rugby union team chosen from players from the national sides of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. They do a tour only every four years, of either Australia, South Africa or New Zealand - this time around they're in Oz.

Here is a link to a page about the Australian rugby team, which is ranked three in the world by the IRB.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 11:32pm

Post #11 of 18 (146 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will go with my heritage.....Lions undefeated...

elaen32
Gondor

May 31 2013, 11:24am

Post #12 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
I always think there are a few similarities between Wales & NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

1) They both worship at the rugby altar
2) They both are smaller countries next to larger snootier neighbours ( England & Australia respectively)
3) They both have a lot of sheep!
4) They both are fairly mountainous countries
5) They both have two languages- English plus Welsh or Maori
I could go on... Despite being English, my grandfather was Welsh and from earliest days it was drummed into us that we supported Wales in any rugby match! And I still tend to!

imin
Valinor

May 31 2013, 1:40pm

Post #13 of 18 (140 views)
Shortcut
Snootier neighbours? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure about Australia but England is not snooty towards Wales. That is a similar old stereotype as the Welsh having a chip on their shoulder. Just not true. Next to the bigger (size and population) and more wealthy neighbour may be more accurate though i don't think we look down on them - at least not people in the North of England.

As for the Lions - i hope they will win, they almost never do so it would be great if they did. The team is filled with mostly Welsh - not surprising given their coach and to be honest they have the most talented players and if they had a larger squad of decent players to back the elite up they would be a real force to be reckoned with, that coming from an Englishman so quite a compliment, haha.

I would always cheer England against anyone, maybe especially the Welsh (friendly rivalry with friends) but when it comes to the lions i wouldn't care if the team had 15 or 0 English players i would still like to see them win.

I really like the look of the current team and just hope they can click together and produce something special if they can then i think they will win, though it may take a match or two and that's why i have gone for 2-1 lions.

elaen32
Gondor

May 31 2013, 3:04pm

Post #14 of 18 (135 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, well perhaps snootier was not the correct term [In reply to] Can't Post

And maybe I should have thrown in a "traditionally" or an "of old". Of old, there was a tendency for the Welsh and the Kiwis to be regarded as a little more old fashioned than their larger neighbours. Now, of course, it is most definitely cool to be Welsh or Kiwi. As for the North, yes, you probably are more tolerant, but not all of us Southerners are snooty, honest!Wink
As for the Lions, with no offence meant to our Aussie friends, yes, I most definitely want the Lions to thra... I mean, win convincingly!Wink Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

May 31 2013, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 18 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Aussies are totally snooty [In reply to] Can't Post

Just ask Kel. Laugh
*sneaks away to hide*

Anyway, New Zealanders have found a way to deal with the NZ/Oz rivalry - we are just moving across the ditch in droves, until we eventually take over. Cool

elaen32
Gondor

May 31 2013, 7:30pm

Post #16 of 18 (122 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well- the last time I was in NZ was about 6 months before the rugby world cup and I noted that among the merchandise were lots of shirts printed "I support New Zealand and any team playing Australia"!WinkEvil I have seen Scots and Welsh bearing similar slogans about England also! Another parallel!!Smile

Ref
Rivendell

Jun 1 2013, 1:46pm

Post #17 of 18 (159 views)
Shortcut
BaaBaa 8 - Lions 59 [In reply to] Can't Post

Lions win against the BaaBaas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...rugby-union/22732236

I think Farrell should watch out though as I think his card is now marked. The Aussies will try and wind him up something rotten now. He just needs to cool down a tad.

(This post was edited by Ref on Jun 1 2013, 1:47pm)

Ref
Rivendell

Jul 6 2013, 5:53pm

Post #18 of 18 (108 views)
Shortcut
Lions win 2:1!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loving that. And loving this picture even more of Tigers Geoff Parling and Daniel Craig! Always knew he was a top bloke Smile

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=1&theater

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.