Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Martin Freeman: I get more fan mail for Sherlock than The Hobbit

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 6 2013, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 15 (624 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman: I get more fan mail for Sherlock than The Hobbit Can't Post

The Independent interviewed Martin Freeman recently, and although there are no Hobbit spoilers (sorry!) he does mention that he's recognised more for his work on Sherlock, than The Hobbit. If it's any consolation Martin, I've erased The Office from my mind completely.

A snippet:

Anonymity, he adds, can be a wonderful thing for a person, “but at the same time, I had to do The Hobbit, even if it was going to change the game for me. It was my one chance to do something that nearly everybody, at one point or another, was going to see. I've made other films that maybe I've loved more, but they haven't made a billion dollars.”

You know what this means now - we need to inundate him with fanmail! Where's my pen?!!

Smile

(Mods - I put this in Main simply because it had no Hobbit news, spoilers or speculation; and it's an interview promoting a different film entirely. Hope that's ok! Feel free to move.)

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 6 2013, 4:13pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 4:17pm

Post #2 of 15 (332 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never write fanmail but I hope Martin knows how much we all adore and appreciate him as our adventurous Bilbo. Angelic He is a cornerpiece in the Middle Earth visual structure.

I do like his Watson quite a lot too. Although between Arthur Dent and Bilbo I see quite a dressing-gown trend. I hope there isn't any dressing-gown
typecasting in his future.CoolWink

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jul 6 2013, 9:30pm

Post #3 of 15 (291 views)
Shortcut
Great article! [In reply to] Can't Post

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 11:14pm

Post #4 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
I love Sherlock more than The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but then again, it's my favorite show other than Doctor Who, so that's not saying much, lol. Can't wait, because all three come back this winter :)

"Beware of panthers." ~ The Doctor

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 2:21am

Post #5 of 15 (267 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like Freeman is the kind of guy who really has his head on straight; he knows his priorites and he sticks to them. Even though he doesn't cherish being in the public eye, he hasn't seemed impatient or testy about his required interviews surrounding his starring role in The Hobbit. Yes, I know it's in the contract, but still his personality comes through and he seems gracious enough. I have a feeling he's always going to be first and foremost an actor, and a star second. Bravo to him!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 2:23am

Post #6 of 15 (285 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman in/at "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.roxycinema.co.nz/page-event-3.php

And yes, I have a ticket.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 7 2013, 2:32am

Post #7 of 15 (274 views)
Shortcut
How utterly cool! Enjoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you write up a report for us so that we can be there by proxy? Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 3:58am

Post #8 of 15 (278 views)
Shortcut
I'm not surprised... [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, The Hobbit has largely been more about the dwarves than the hobbit. He's not getting that much emphasis, it's been more about Richard Armitage.

Permanent address: Into the West

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 7 2013, 4:01am

Post #9 of 15 (279 views)
Shortcut
Kind of a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

As the Book is "The Hobbit"

but I guess they had to get all the dwarves in eclipsng Bilbo ... hopefully DOS and TABA will spotlight Bilbo more

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2013, 4:56am

Post #10 of 15 (250 views)
Shortcut
I think that will happen. They just had to set up all the history first. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will get more Hobbit centric as the next two movies go on. But it's all at the expense of the first movie, I'm afraid. In a couple of years we'll be able to view it as a whole and that will help.

Permanent address: Into the West

demnation
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 7:39am

Post #11 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
I think it's great that Martin sounds so nice and boring [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a normal, boring chap, like the rest of us! Wink

Though I wonder if the straight man act can be a bit detrimental. I just watched Hitchhiker's Guide recently, and realized that he played the exact same character in both that and in The Hobbit.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by demnation on Jul 7 2013, 7:44am)

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 8:57am

Post #12 of 15 (220 views)
Shortcut
Oh how neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please let us know how it went and what Martin is like! *sighs' wish I could be there...

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 9:08am

Post #13 of 15 (227 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this, DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting article indeed, and without you I'd never have come across it.

I really like him as Dr. Watson in 'Sherlock', and think he makes a wonderful Bilbo (not perfect but wonderful nevertheless), even if it's not his favourite role.

Last night I watched a film on dvd called 'Confetti' which won't rank among my favourites, only because it had M.F. in it, and he played another one of these totally straight and normal blokes, in his usual manner. But then I can't see him playing Guy of Gisborne or any other sort of villain, not with that face of his. It would be a nice change though... Wink

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2013, 2:35pm

Post #14 of 15 (144 views)
Shortcut
Enjoyed it thanks for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of the reasons he feels more adored for Sherlock is that the fandom in the U.K. turns out in droves to watch the filming. He has said in the past it's like a mini Beatlemania and he's right about that. Tumblr and Twitter post the locations for the filming and the young Uni students turn out in droves to watch and report on every move and take pictures etc. You don't get that with the Hobbit for several reasons, including the fact obviously that it's filmed in New Zealand.

He's still a young actor (well by my age anyway) and he seems terrifically well grounded and not all caught up in the fame thing. I think he's absolutely right about the whole privacy thing and he has had his privacy invaded quite a bit by both the media and fans. He had to move to Hertfordshire from North London because people were knocking on the door when he was playing Tim in The Office.

I like though that he puts his family first. He's not all caught up in the spotlight. I wish people would leave these guys alone when they see them in public or at the most simple walk by and say "love your performances thank you so much" and move on rather than be invasive about it. Living in CA I have seen more than my share of invasive fans and media bothering movie actors and actresses and their families and it really bugs me.

As for Sherlock: Love it. I think the show is outstanding and he is right, it is very well written. Freeman's Watson is just superb and the whole last scenes of The Reichenbach Fall I think demonstrate MF's range as an actor. That scene at the end was absolutely heartbreaking. Loved it.

I do wonder what he'll do next. I am looking forward to Edgar Wright's World's End. The first two were brilliant and can't wait for this one. Martin looks like total tool with that bluetooth in his ear which I think they were going for so it should be great.

I would like to see him play a real baddie. He has played some in the past including the sadistic hit man in Wild Target. Still not as dark as I'd like to see and looking forward to his really playing a first class baddie some day.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 3:32pm

Post #15 of 15 (140 views)
Shortcut
elementary my Dear Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

said Smauglock..........

Martin Freeman is great... just great! I read, somewhere, that he excels at playing the ordinary average guy often as a foil to a more quirky character (Sherlock, Ford Prefect, Thorin).

He's just perfect at it.

Despite the ridiculous hotness of Jude Law, Martin may be my favorite Watson.

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.