Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Old Bilbo

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 21 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo Can't Post

ya know...i've thought an interesting way they might bring Old Bilbo back for TABa...
It could be corny, but it could maybe work...
any takers? any opinions?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2013, 10:41pm

Post #2 of 21 (528 views)
Shortcut
Which way is that? [In reply to] Can't Post

We have nothing to reply to yet.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 11:47pm

Post #3 of 21 (534 views)
Shortcut
maybe the details aren't as important now... [In reply to] Can't Post

but i was conjuring nascent imagery of interweaving older reflection
with youthful experience in seeing old friends again. Someone mentioned
Bilbo and Gandalf visit Bag End again. Will his be used in the movie?

Avnar
Lorien

Jul 5 2013, 4:57am

Post #4 of 21 (436 views)
Shortcut
Old bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

No thanks! The scene between him and Frodo was the most awkward scene I have seen in any of the films...

Seaber
Rivendell

Jul 5 2013, 8:14am

Post #5 of 21 (383 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean Balin and Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's mentioned in to books that only Balin visits him after the quest.

Whichever way it's done, I'd like to see Old Bilbo again, and Frodo too.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2013, 2:12pm

Post #6 of 21 (307 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Ian Holm was okay I didn't mind him. But I thought Elijah was definitely too old for the part now and out of place. I still enjoyed the scene, but I could do without Frodo honestly although I would like to see Holm again.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 21 (295 views)
Shortcut
Seeing Elijah again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought Ian Holm was okay I didn't mind him. But I thought Elijah was definitely too old for the part now and out of place. I still enjoyed the scene, but I could do without Frodo honestly although I would like to see Holm again.

I have to say I was thrilled to see Frodo again...I looked at his leaner appearance as being in a growth spurt (like my son does in these teen years) and I clapped a bit to see him again. Fantastic seeing him nailing up the sign on the gate.

Just wanted to get 2 cents in. I'm really not sure why I don't find that scene awkward, but I don't, though I completely recognize many others do.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 5 2013, 2:50pm

Post #8 of 21 (291 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing about this statement... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Elijah was definitely too old for the part now and out of place

...is that book Frodo is about 50 years old when he sets out from Bag-End. But I get what you mean - Elijah does look older, although I didn't find it jarring in the least bit (although like many others I could have done without that scene). As for Old Bilbo, I think Sir Ian Holm looked WAY different than he looked in LOTR, and he seemed noticeably more lethargic to me.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 5 2013, 4:46pm

Post #9 of 21 (253 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, he seems to slur over some words, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I thought Elijah was definitely too old for the part now and out of place

...is that book Frodo is about 50 years old when he sets out from Bag-End. But I get what you mean - Elijah does look older, although I didn't find it jarring in the least bit (although like many others I could have done without that scene). As for Old Bilbo, I think Sir Ian Holm looked WAY different than he looked in LOTR, and he seemed noticeably more lethargic to me.

The parts where he says, "keep your paws off" and, "whiz-poppers" makes me cringe every time.

It's sad it's just because Ian is older :( but he definitely was much more stern and sharp in LotR.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 21 (226 views)
Shortcut
Bomby wants Ian Holm to blow out the Candle?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 21 (235 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Balin's visit to Bag End... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but i was conjuring nascent imagery of interweaving older reflection
with youthful experience in seeing old friends again. Someone mentioned
Bilbo and Gandalf visit Bag End again. Will his be used in the movie?

Gandalf and Balin's visit is only a few years after Bilbo's adventure. I would think that it would be more appropriate to use Martin Freeman in that scene.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 5 2013, 6:42pm

Post #12 of 21 (217 views)
Shortcut
Particularly since... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Ring prevents him from aging visibly.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 6:47pm

Post #13 of 21 (209 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring doesn't prevent ageing completely, but we aren't talking about anything like 60 years here (yet). The films avoid the issue, but Frodo at 50 doesn't look much different from Frodo at 33 either.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2013, 7:56pm

Post #14 of 21 (196 views)
Shortcut
age relevance [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I agree. While in the book Frodo was 50 still the difference in "look" for me between Frodo in LOTR and Frodo in The Hobbit was pretty demonstrable. He just looked way older in the film that is earlier in relation to the LOTR films. I do see your point. My comment was more directed at within the films themselves. It really kind of took me out of the film just a bit. It wasn't overwhelmingly bad, it's just something that I noticed and I felt that Holm himself (who also looked older) did not seem to be as much of an issue. He did seem older and frailer though.

I do wonder sometimes if it would have been better straight up to put Freeman in the role with aging prosthetics and make up. But Holm was passable.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2013, 12:51am

Post #15 of 21 (149 views)
Shortcut
Elijah [In reply to] Can't Post

He did seem too old for the part to me (relative to the part in FOTR) but having said that, it in no way ruined my enjoyment of the film at all. Just a minor thing for me. I loved seeing Holm and would love to see him again. All in all I though the Shire scenes were great and I think it should end where it started. Since Ian Holm started the narration of the film and story I can see going back to him at the very end possibly. Hard to say. He's not getting any younger and he can't travel anymore so it might be rough unless they've filmed stuff already. Either way Im sure it's going to be fantastic and I can't wait to see it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 1:51am

Post #16 of 21 (141 views)
Shortcut
All true HS - [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He did seem too old for the part to me (relative to the part in FOTR) but having said that, it in no way ruined my enjoyment of the film at all. Just a minor thing for me. I loved seeing Holm and would love to see him again. All in all I though the Shire scenes were great and I think it should end where it started. Since Ian Holm started the narration of the film and story I can see going back to him at the very end possibly. Hard to say. He's not getting any younger and he can't travel anymore so it might be rough unless they've filmed stuff already. Either way Im sure it's going to be fantastic and I can't wait to see it.

I enjoyed it. But a good point, relative to especially Sir Christopher and Sir Ian Holm, such distant travelling isn't easy for the older cast members a decade later. As for endings, I'm getting more and more divided - maybe we can just have DoS end and leave the rest of the 'endings' in limbo!!!

I can see it all ending with Bilbo, but maybe MF's Bilbo? Not sure how far ahead in time they will wrap it up. Do we end with Bilbo seeing Gandalf (and maybe Balin, but maybe not) or do we return to the Party day...

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 6 2013, 2:26am

Post #17 of 21 (150 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Frodo looked decent, old Bilbo ok, and Gandalf the worst. That first scene with the "Good morning," was a bit jarring to see him so much slower, wrinkled, and older. I think he did well all things considered, just wish they hadn't waited 11 years to make the Hobbit.

I guess Azog looked worse. Laugh Mad

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2013, 2:54am

Post #18 of 21 (131 views)
Shortcut
Same here Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I have really mixed feelings. i really like MF's Bilbo a lot. I wouldn't mind ending with that. I can see though PJ wanting to really tie it back to the Long Expected party and the elder Bilbo but I really would be okay with Freeman in the role. Especially since Freeman played him anyway in that shot of Frodo walking back down the road. Maybe they can somehow work that in. I would really like to see Bilbo with Balin. I think that would be a nice tie in to FOTR honestly. I could totally end with that.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 3:14am

Post #19 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Would like to end with MF... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in his wonderful dressing gown, answering the door to Gandalf...I said 'Balin (or not)' earlier because I have a sneaking feeling (understood that it is involving a time compression) that they will show Balin's departure for Moria somehow. I think with his grief after Thorin's loss it may potentially tie in to show it as a predicating event. But that is simply a guess.

I *could* see Gandalf arriving alone, and with his voice narrating the events while talking with Bilbo over tea, show Balin and Co. departing for Moria.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2013, 8:47pm

Post #20 of 21 (101 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin's departure to Moria would be perfect. And yes I would love to see MF as Bilbo in that totally awesome dressing gown of which there are only two: One for Freeman and one for Jackson. That is a terrific wardrobe piece and I would love to see that at the end.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2013, 11:11pm

Post #21 of 21 (84 views)
Shortcut
Really? How cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
totally awesome dressing gown of which there are only two: One for Freeman and one for Jackson.

Thanks for that bit of trivia! SmileCool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.