Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If you lived in Middleearth...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jay236
The Shire

Jul 4 2013, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 30 (500 views)
Shortcut
If you lived in Middleearth... Can't Post

Someone compared me to a hobbit yesterday and that got me thinking, if you lived in middleearth:
-What race would you be?
-Where would live?
-Which characters would you like to meet?
-Why?

If more people valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, the world would indeed be a merrier place-Thorin Oakenshield, The Hobbit

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 6:27pm

Post #2 of 30 (309 views)
Shortcut
Hello again Jay! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Hobbit, being a very nice compliment!

For myself I would choose to be a Dunedain, (and yes they would have to just cope with a girl Ranger) and my choice of duty would be to guard the marches east/northeast of Rivendell. Forays to Hobbiton, waving to Dwarves on the road, and occasionally being welcomed at Rivendell would, to my mind, be a lovely and ideal existence.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 6:31pm

Post #3 of 30 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'd be one of the Teleri Elves to awake at Cunivien [In reply to] Can't Post

As one of the Teleri awakened pre first age at Cunivien, I'd see middle earth in its infancy, I could explore around the waters of awakening (and get to meet Imin and Tata the first elves to be created-I'd ask them just how it happened) without any parents teling meet what to do, I'd get to meet the Valar, and all the original Elves see all the weird sights of eastern Middle Earth. Later I'd take part in the great journey, and accompany Olwe across the sea to Valinor, seeing Valinor at its height-I'd get to see Feanor (the greatest craftsman to ever live in Middle Earth) at work as creates The Silmarils, and with luck you could persuade some of the Valar to spill their secrets-I could perhaps sneak into The Timeless Halls, or see the Walls of Night.

After nosing around for a few years, I'd steal a ship and escape back to Middle Earth before the kinslaying (that way I'm safe for persecution by any one group, and I would have nice unspoilt memories of Valinor) the long way-I'd go back from East to West, seeing the Dwarves eastern halls and the Gates of Morning

I'd then spend the next three ages as one of Cirdan's following-I could fight with him up the slopes of Mount Doom, accompany him during the ovethrow of Angmar, sneak into meetings of the White Council, sail around Arda at leisure (exploring the other cotinents such as the Burnt Lands of the Sun, and Numenor prior to its destruction), and due to my high standing I'd have a chance of meeting anyone I wanted (Such as Durin, Galadriel, Tom Bombadil or Dain Ironfoot) then catch the last ship from the havens back to Valinor, perhaps living in the Cottage of Lost Play for a quiet retirement.

It would a action packed, very long life...and writng this rambling, rather nerdy reply has staved off boredom for a few minutes...Wink

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 4 2013, 6:41pm

Post #4 of 30 (306 views)
Shortcut
It would be a toss up between [In reply to] Can't Post

An Elf of Lothlorien (you would never have guessed that, would you Wink ), and a hobbit, an adventurous Took to be exact.

On second thoughts, I think I would be more suited to the life of a hobbit; hobbit holes look lovely to live in too.

I would love to meet Elrond, and to visit Rivendell. I think to meet Tom Bombadil would be fascinating, as would meeting Treebeard.

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Jul 4 2013, 6:41pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 4 2013, 7:29pm

Post #5 of 30 (299 views)
Shortcut
Everyone is expecting me to say that I'd like to be a ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Talking Purse. I can sense it in you all. However much a idealise that little fellow, I don't think I'd like to have grubby Troll hands in me all the time.

So, I'd like to have been a First Age Elf - any of them will do. I love the First Age of Middle-earth. Or perhaps even earlier than that, and maybe one of the Elves to have awoken at Cuiviénen. I'd like to have journeyed all through Arda - visited Gondolin and the golden streets of Valmar. I would probably have ended up following Galadriel and Celeborn, and at last going back to Valinor with them.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 8:15pm

Post #6 of 30 (280 views)
Shortcut
Why not have both, I can see it now Daniel: The Magical Adventures of Glorfindel and The Talking Purse [In reply to] Can't Post

Join everyone's favourite ressurected Balrog basher, and his mate Olaf the talking purse as they travel Beleriand solving crimes and saving damsels in distress,

From the creators of Ice Age, Coming to a cinema near you in 2018!
Wink

(I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was on the interent somewhere)

As for me, yep you've guessed it I'd be one of Cirdan's following.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2013, 9:18pm

Post #7 of 30 (271 views)
Shortcut
the next essay [In reply to] Can't Post

the next essay i want to read from you, malickfan, is "why the talking purse is the greatest character in all of middle-earth."

can you write it in time for the torn symposium?

great aule at his forge! what is this torn symposium i keep hearing about?

(btw, for those who do not know, brethil, elaen, and danielb are organizing the very first torn symposium.

+anyone+ can write about +anything+.

i think there's a 500-word minimum. there's no grading. this is not a contest. just a +great+ opportunity for anyone with a love of tolkien and an opinion to scribble about their thoughts.

some examples...

danielb is going to write something about middle earth's weather (he's a meteorologist).

i +think+ araglen the green (who has plant knowledge) is going to be writing about middle earth plants and trees and such.

truly... you can write about +anything+.

check the reading room thread or danielb, elaen, or brethil for more details. (deadline is july 14.)

i heartily encourage you to share your writing! : )

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 4 2013, 9:20pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 9:26pm

Post #8 of 30 (264 views)
Shortcut
Malickfan, I second Telpemairo's excellent Purse idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

It needs to be said.

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 9:30pm

Post #9 of 30 (258 views)
Shortcut
Hmm..maybe me and Daniel should get together [In reply to] Can't Post

500-2000 words on Talking Purse 's and their purposes in Mythology might actually be possible!

You could write an entire essay on the Purse's possible origin alone...

I would also like to see an essay exploring that Vert Inquisitive Fox from FOTR...

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 10:34pm

Post #10 of 30 (250 views)
Shortcut
So true Malickfan! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
500-2000 words on Talking Purse 's and their purposes in Mythology might actually be possible!

I would also like to see an essay exploring that Vert Inquisitive Fox from FOTR...

And I might just tackle the Fox myself one day - I love him. Wink

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 11:50pm

Post #11 of 30 (252 views)
Shortcut
Spoilt for choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I would need more than one Middle-earth life to satisfy me! There's too much to see and do.

I am already a Hobbit - I live under a hill in a hole full of mathoms, with a green hill across the way that is crowned with beech-trees and looks like a prime site for a desirable Baggins residence.

I'd also like to be one of Aragorn's Rangers, ranging West and East of the mountains via Rivendell but most at home in Eriador, and on friendly terms with Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. Hopefully I would survive the War of the Ring and thus get a chance to visit Rohan and Gondor, as there will be more to-ing and fro-ing between North and South once the king has returned. Would love to see Edoras, and the Glittering Caves, and places in Gondor like Pelargir and Dol Amroth.

And a Dwarf smith... and a woodland Elf ... and an Elvish mariner ... and a singer in the Music that began it all.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 5 2013, 12:15am

Post #12 of 30 (257 views)
Shortcut
If I lived in Middle-Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I would either be an Elf of Rivendell, Lothlorien or Mirkwood. If I were an Elf in Rivendell, I can meet Glorfindel who was tragically left out of the films, and eavesdrop during the council of Elrond. Rivendell is such a peaceful quiet place, good for thinking, sleeping, writing, which is what I do a lot of. Lothlorien because it is part of an ancient world where time stands still, away from the hurts of the world. There I could meet Galadriel and Celeborn. Mirkwood because I love the woods and forests, and it sounds like a safe place (for elves) and there I can meet Thranduil .

acheron
Gondor

Jul 5 2013, 11:40am

Post #13 of 30 (236 views)
Shortcut
Do we have to stick to Middle-earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I want to be a sailor in early-mid Second Age Numenor. Smile

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 5 2013, 1:32pm

Post #14 of 30 (230 views)
Shortcut
I'm a hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

At one point I though I would be an elf, and live in Rivendell, and spend my time discussing history and reading books of lore in the magnificent library.

But I have realized I actually am a hobbit. I am much more humble than the exalted elves. I love trees, but the tamer forests of the Shire attract me more than the grandeur of Lothlorien. Maybe I could be a somewhat scholarly hobbit like Bilbo and Frodo and write the occasional book of translations from the Elvish, but I would still rather have an ale at the Green Dragon (well, not an ale, I don't like beer, but maybe a cider) with my mates than Dorwinion with Thranduil.

I like to putter in my garden and eat mushrooms and living in a hobbit hole would be lovely. So I'm for 4th age Buckland where I could paddle the river a bit and do some fishing and wear the occasional boots. I think we'd breed ponies, export some of the Hall's finest Brandy, make an occasional trip to Bree with letters for the King's Messengers and catch a glimpse of Bombadil now and then.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5 2013, 2:04pm

Post #15 of 30 (219 views)
Shortcut
I'm very hobbity [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, it's on my license plate ;)

If I had my choice, I'd stay at home, go for long walks on the country roads and woods around my house, LOVE to eat, and I don't like being at odds with anyone... including myself.

I'd live in the Shire... Hobbiton... which is very much where I am already. I'd love to hang out with Bilbo. Especially when he didn't care so much about keeping a clean house ;) And Sam. I'm sort of a blending of the two.

A simple life with a bit of my own land, money enough to maintain my world, the love and acceptance of my family and friends... with good health for all... able to eat what I want without gaining weight, and at least one more trip to Wellington. That would be my perfect world.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 5 2013, 2:44pm

Post #16 of 30 (210 views)
Shortcut
So Jay, as for you, would Hobbit be your choice?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 5 2013, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 30 (193 views)
Shortcut
If I could choose [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be a Maia in the form of an Elf whilst in Middle-Earth (like a male version of Melian, but like Cirdan in appearance, i.e. with eyes "as keen as stars" and with grey hair). My name would be Saelon ("Wise One" in Sindarin) and I'd be an accomplished lore-master. I'd live in the Grey Havens so that I would be close to the sea and so that I could explore the Blue Mountains which are relatively nearby.

Characters I would like to meet include Melian, Cirdan, Galadriel, Gandalf, Radagast, Treebeard, Bullroarer Took, Malbeth and Balin, among others. You will notice that most of these characters are noted for their power, wisdom and/or their innate strength.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Asclepias
Rivendell

Jul 6 2013, 1:02am

Post #18 of 30 (187 views)
Shortcut
I don't post much anymore, but for those who remember me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this question piqued my interest! I'd be human, I'm afraid, but as a human I'd doubtless get to do some stuff that in this life I just plain can't do on my own, like riding horses. I assume those make great analogs to bicycles (at least, I hope so--I ride mine all the time.) Also, swordfighting. I would really love to get a one-handed sword for my karate class, but alas, two hands are almost always better than one. And now, I guess you probably see the interest for me of living a different life (although I hasten to add that I'm getting along in this one just fine!).

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 6 2013, 2:41am

Post #19 of 30 (175 views)
Shortcut
A Numenorean or an Eorlinga [In reply to] Can't Post

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 8:48pm

Post #20 of 30 (149 views)
Shortcut
I can only pick one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I might just have to flip a coin! I would love to be a Hobbit or an Eorlinga. (Is 'Eorlinga' an approved singular form of 'Eorlingas', or should it properly be 'Eorling'? Old English is on my list of Languages Werde Spinner Would Like To Learn But Hasn't Gotten To Yet.) I am a country girl at heart (still live on a farm, yay!) and ride horses, so it's even there. I'm short, like a Hobbit, but I have non-curly blond hair like a Rider. So it's still even. How do I pick?

Or I could take a third option and be a Dwarf. (At one time I would have said 'Elf', but I'm out of that phase now. Laugh)

Where I would live would depend on what race I belonged to. If I was a Hobbit, I would like to live across the Brandywine. I'd be a Took or a Brandybuck and possibly go off on an adventure with Gandalf when I'm 50. I'd meet Elves (would love to see Elrond!) and learn Elvish and all sorts of things about the First Age without all the danger involved in actually living through the First Age. I'd also love to go to Rohan and see the mounds of the kings and Aldburg and Edoras... and on and on. Would probably not be a good idea for me to meet Eomer, although my status as a member of Team Eomer might lead you to think otherwise. I'd be like, "That's Eomer!", and would squeak and hide behind the nearest person. Meeting Eowyn would be nice, though... if I could muster the courage to talk to her. And Faramir. I've always wanted to see Ithilien. The descriptions of it were so lovely.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jul 6 2013, 9:42pm

Post #21 of 30 (147 views)
Shortcut
I'd wanna be . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Elanor, Sam Gamgee and Rosie's oldest. I am a hobbit, but I would get to mingle with Elves and Men (in my time in Gondor, and visiting Elessar and Arwen in Fornost. My youth would be very exciting, then I would settle down with my hubby (whosit from West March), be a pioneer hobbit and raise a ton of kids. Be a part of the great events of the early fourth age, yet not in the thick of it, so to speak. Then I would become the keeper of the history - I'm already my family's genealogist!

cats16
Valinor

Jul 6 2013, 11:29pm

Post #22 of 30 (139 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. decisions, decisions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say either a Hobbit of the Eastfarthing, Lothlorien Elf, or a Man of Rohan. I could see myself being any of them, honestly. If I had the choice, I'd probably have a nice hobbit hole in Hobbiton, too...(greedy, I know Wink). I really would not be disappointed by being any race and living in any specific location (other than Mordor, perhaps...). Moria, in it's Golden Age, would have been a great place that I would love to live in ME.

I think I would also be just as content being a passerby who notices four Hobbits, two Men, an Elf, and a Dwarf walking in the wilderness...maybe in Hollin. Smile

Great post, Jay.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2013, 8:07pm

Post #23 of 30 (133 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is Fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

Owning my own B&B
In the Old Forest.

Goldberry is a Great Cook!

Stay 3 Nights,
and your 4th One is Free?

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 8 2013, 10:16am

Post #24 of 30 (120 views)
Shortcut
What she said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't have put it better myself, gramma.

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 8 2013, 1:35pm

Post #25 of 30 (103 views)
Shortcut
Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

-Elf
-Rivendell
-Anyone that passes through;Gandalf;Elf buddies
-Immortality, Power, Peace

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.