Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Beyond the Hobbit - the feasabilty of bringing the War in the North to the big screen.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 5:35am

Post #1 of 19 (753 views)
Shortcut
Beyond the Hobbit - the feasabilty of bringing the War in the North to the big screen. Can't Post

I'd just like to know if people would be open to the possibility of a War in the North movie (or two - or three).

This topic has come up in the past, and reactions have varied from 'No, not enough source material' to 'Cool, I'd like to see more Middle-Earth'.

Now that people have seen AUJ (and a bit of DOS), would people like the idea of returning to the era of the War of the Ring, and see it through the eyes of the other characters from the Hobbit?

If there is an intention of making other Middle-Earth movies, having a few well-known characters involved couldn't hurt, and I imagine the likes of Thranduil and Dain will have gained quite a few fans by the time the Hobbit Trilogy is over. Then there's the possibilty that Radagast and Tauriel and Bain might still be around too, as well as some of Thorin's remaining companions.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 6:35am

Post #2 of 19 (406 views)
Shortcut
best idea ever [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope one day there will be a new trilogy, like episode 7, 8 and 9 of MiddleEarth.

Everyone will love it.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 6:36am

Post #3 of 19 (404 views)
Shortcut
I think that Peter Jackson would want to avoid doing more middle earth film [In reply to] Can't Post

and making one not really based on any of the books would be a risk

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 4 2013, 7:22am

Post #4 of 19 (381 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the point of view. [In reply to] Can't Post

The studios and fans of the movies will think it's a wonderful idea, while Tolkien fans will cringe and try to look the other way. I doubt seriously if Jackson would be interested, he seems to be burnt out on Middle Earth.

But the prospect is too lucrative for the studios not to try to do something. The likelihood of something really good coming out of it is bleak, based on the evidence of other made-up sequels.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 4 2013, 7:24am)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 7:33am

Post #5 of 19 (358 views)
Shortcut
No thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I already find some of Jackson and company's invented storylines a bit iffy. An entire movie (or series) that's nothing but invented storylines loosely based on the appendices would be too much for me.

demnation
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 8:30am

Post #6 of 19 (333 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just not interested in any Middle-earth movie that is not mostly based off of what Tolkien wrote. And too be honest, I'm already feeling a little burnt out of watching Middle-earth on the big screen. (even as I get more and more interested in the written stuff)

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 10:17am

Post #7 of 19 (332 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I like the idea of a War in the North series - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but the execution would concern me.

I guess I'd have to watch the rest of the Hobbit Trilogy and decide how well they handled the rest of the 'original' material. I do believe that there are people out there who could come up with good ideas for the War in the North.

One of the things that bothers me about the Middle-Earth movies so far, is that they haven't shown much of the Rangers of the North. I'd like Aragorn's people to be shown to be involved somehow in the events of the the War of the Ring.

I mean, by TABA we'll have met and learned a few things about the various people of eight of the Nine Companions, (even Gandalf has his fellow Wizards), with the notable exception of 'Strider' who might as well have materialised out of thin air.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 12:58pm

Post #8 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
I can somewhat imagine this... [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be billed as "A Story of The War of the Ring". But, who would be the central viewpoint character? We have Frodo (with Sam) for LotR, although the narrative does eventually split off to follow the other members of the Fellowship. Who would serve such a function here?

I think that a better side-story film could be made from Aragorn's background, covering his childhood to his reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 1:19pm

Post #9 of 19 (281 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see it! [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has said several times that TH is his last venture into Middle Earth, so it's highly unlikely that he'll direct such a project (or that he, FW and PB would write the script). If the movies are to be seen as parts of the "PJ-Tolkien Universe" they must however be coherent with the LOTR and TH trilogies, so maybe PJ could act as a producer to ensure this? I guess that WETA also has to be involved to guarantee continuity between the different film series.

The events that took place during the Northern Theatre of the War of the Ring are only vaguely described in the appendices and UT, so the vast majority of the script would have to be "fan fiction" (main characters and storylines to follow must be invented). I guess that the biggest challenge of such a project is to turn what is barely touched upon in the books into compelling stories. I would love to see movies about the War in the North if they're well executed, but I guess the purists would puke on them. They make up a very small minority of the potential audience, though. Movies about Middle Earth have (so far, at least) proven to be very lucrative, so if WB get a chance to expand the universe, I can hardly imagine that they would pass on the opportunity.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2013, 1:38pm

Post #10 of 19 (313 views)
Shortcut
More Middle-earth movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd only be interested if they were either done by Jackson/Weta and their crews (which I'm hearing they're pretty-much done), and if the story is as solid and Tolkien-truthful as LotR and TH.

It would be fun to see how the Shire came to be and up to life with Drogo and Primula Baggins and their young son, Bilbo. See the Gamgees, Sandymans, Proudfoots (PROUDFEET), Cottons, Brandbucks and Buckland, Tooks and Tuckborough, Maggots, etc. We could even catch a glimpse of ol' Tom ;)

From The Prologue: Concerning Hobbits: The Fellowship of the Ring

Their own records began only after the settlement of the Shire, and their most ancient legends hardly looked further back than their Wandering Days. It is clear, nonetheless, from these legends, and from the evidence of their peculiar words and customs, that like many other folk Hobbits had in the distant past moved westward. Their earliest tales seem to glimpse a time when they dwelt in the upper vales of Anduin, between the eaves of Greenwood the Great and the Misty Mountains. Why they later undertook the hard and perilous crossing of the mountains into Eriador is no longer certain. Their own accounts speak of the multiplying of Men in the land, and of a shadow that fell on the forest, so that it became darkened and its new name was Mirkwood.

Much is written of their transition, settlements, and relationships with other kindred in M-e after this paragraph. Read more of it, and you'll see there's much fodder for a great story.

Then there's this. If there needed to be an "action" scene, there's the invasion of Orcs and wolves. It would give the story of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings more meaning or impact.

At no time had Hobbits of any kind been warlike, and they had never fought among themselves. In olden days they had, of course, been often obliged to fight to maintain themselves in a hard world; but in Bilbo's time that was very ancient history. The last battle, before this story opens, and indeed the only one that had ever been fought within the borders of the Shire, was beyond living memory: the Battle of Greenfields, S.R.1147, in which Bandobras Took routed an invasion of Orcs. Even the weather had grown milder, and the wolves that had once come ravening out of the North in bitter white winters were now only a grandfather's tale.

The film(s) would have to be identical in quality, vision, music, and reverence to the text as the films LotR and TH to be worthy of continuing any storytelling based on Tolkien, imho. If, maybe, Andy or Fran were to take it on... they'd definitely keep the continuity of the look and feel of what we now love about Middle-earth films. I think it would be GREAT to have a tale or two every few years. Cripes, by then Billy or Katie Jackson could do the directing ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 4 2013, 1:44pm)

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 3:03pm

Post #11 of 19 (258 views)
Shortcut
No, [In reply to] Can't Post

and for similar reasons that I feel they should just let Star Wars die. Hollywood needs to get away from franchises and brand recognition, but the sad fact is that people go to these movies and they make a lot of money whether or not they are good films.

Sometimes we just need to leave well enough alone, but there doesn't seem to be enough executives in Hollywood that realize this.

Hollywood is pushing it's boundaries already. Two films for HP 7? Okay. Two films for Twilight 4? Uh... Three films for The Hobbit? *Snap. Creak* Hear that? That's the sound of thin ice.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 3:16pm

Post #12 of 19 (275 views)
Shortcut
I've been pondering the characters of the War in the North... [In reply to] Can't Post

The obvious ones: Lord Elrond in Rivendell; Thranduil of the Woodland Realm; Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn of Lórien; King Brand of Dale; King Dáin of Erebor; the Commander of Dol Guldur; Glorfindel of Rivendell.

Major Supporting Characters: Bard II (Brand's son); Thorin III Stonehelm (Dáin's son); Elladan and Elrohir (the sons of Elrond); Arwen Undómiel; Halbarad Dúnadan; Commander of the Easterling Army; Erestor (Elrond's chief counsellor). Halbarad and the sons of Elrond are freed-up by their exclusion from Peter Jackson's LotR films.

Minor Supporting Characters: Bilbo Baggins; Lindir of Rivendell; Rúmil and Orophin of Lórien (brothers of Haldir, slain--in the films--at Helm's Deep).

Perhaps Bilbo can be the viewpoint character for most of the story.

Unfortunately, I don't see much commercial potential for a movie about the founding of the Shire. The same is true for many other spin-off possibilities. There are only a handful that would likely to ever be green-lighted.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 4 2013, 3:20pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2013, 4:20pm

Post #13 of 19 (240 views)
Shortcut
No thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

That stuff is fine for videogames (some decent ones at that), but not for more movies. Especially considering that the "made up" stuff is usually my least favorite part of the movies. I'm just fine with 6 films (totaling 22 hours!).

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 5:10pm

Post #14 of 19 (231 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Oops! I forgot about Glóin and the other surviving members of Thorin's company who didn't die in Moria. It looks like Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Dori may have all perished in the defense of Erebor. Glóin and Dwalin both survived well into the Fourth Age. Nori may have done the same, but his death is undocumented.

Ori and Óin were both part of Balin's failed colony.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 8:24pm

Post #15 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
No thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Some stories are best left unsaid, if every single line from the appendices is expanded into a plot point in a modern blockbuster where is the fun in visualising, and apprecating the original material on its oqn merits. I want to see Tolkien's stories adapted for the big screen, not rampant, needless fan fiction cashing in on a film franchise he would possibly dissaprove of.

Now, The Taling Purse chroncles on the other hand...

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Noria
Rohan

Jul 5 2013, 12:42pm

Post #16 of 19 (147 views)
Shortcut
I agree Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

This Tolkien fan would love this, if it was a high quality production like LotR and AUJ. I would love to see more of the Hobbits.

Also Gandalf's words about remembering the battles in the North have always intrigued me - Dain standing over the body of Brand wielding his axe until the darkness fell, the fierce fighting in Mirkwood, the assaults on Lorien. I would love to see that.

But I think it unlikely such movies would be made and if they were, that they would be any good.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 5 2013, 3:24pm

Post #17 of 19 (145 views)
Shortcut
For years I believed LOTR was unfilmable [In reply to] Can't Post

Some stories are best left unsaid, if every single line from the appendices is expanded into a plot point in a modern blockbuster where is the fun in visualising, and apprecating the original material on its own merits.

- but now I'm glad PJ and Co made the attempt. The thing about the 'War in the North' is that it is the 'final' adventure of a number of notable characters we've already seen on screen in the Hobbit Trilogy.

Whenever people watch the two current Middle-Earth Trilogies in chronological order, there'll often be a nagging impression that certain favourite characters are missing.

I know that when I started reading the book version of the Lord of the Rings after reading the Hobbit, it felt like certain important individuals were 'missing' - and then I found out about what was going on in the North during the War of the Ring. I always thought it a pity that Tolkien didn't go into further detail about those events.

When the 'Return of the King' movie came out, I hoped that they'd make a film about the Hobbit someday (I imagine you can guess my reaction to a Hobbit Trilogy). When 'There and Back Again' airs, I wouldn't be surprised if more people would be open to a War of the Ring era movie (or two) set in the North.

I suppose, that for me, the War in the North is like the missing piece of the puzzle connecting the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings stories.

Was the battle in the North actually mentioned in the 'Return of the King' movie? It's been a while since watched it.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2013, 11:18pm

Post #18 of 19 (131 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but did you really mean to say 'the book version' of The Lord of the Rings?

There seems to be a belief that more juice ought to be wrung out of Tolkien's stories, just because (a) PJ and co. have the rights to them and, more importantly (b) PJ fans want them.

Speaking for myself, I shouldn't like to think of more movies being made of Tolkien's works. Someone mentioned fan-fiction above: that's all they would be.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 7 2013, 5:09pm

Post #19 of 19 (107 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's decent 'fan-fiction' - [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone mentioned fan-fiction above: that's all they would be.

- I'll be OK with it.

I see the movies as parallel universe versions of the books. My mental vision of the places and events of LOTR was quite a bit grander than what appeared on the cinema screens, but I'm long past the point where I expect the books and the films to be the same.

I still believe a completely accurate version of Tolkien's Middle-Earth tales is unfilmable, but I definitely appreciate PJ and Co's efforts.

more importantly (b) PJ fans want them.

I'll admit that I want to see the War in the North on the cinema screens. I was a fan of the Hobbit first, and while I also came to be a fan of the Lord of the Rings later, I had been expecting more of the characters from the earlier book to be involved.

(I had expected Orcrist to play a part in the sequel too. It's fate at the end of the Hobbit seemed to hint at further adventures for the Dwarves of Erebor).

A 'War in the North' movie series is almost certainly not something for the purists, but those who appreciate some of the 'expanded material' in the Middle-Earth films might find it of interest.

Ultimately, I think we'll see how the 'extra' Thranduil/Bard/Tauriel/Beorn/Dol Guldur/Legolas (and so on) material plays out before deciding if an almost completely original movie is viable.

If that does turn out to be the case, the War in the North is best suited as a follow-up to the 'Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings' movies. If Warner and and New Line don't want to lose the rights to the very lucrative Middle-Earth franchise, it would be the direction to go.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.