Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOMBUR has lines in AUJ!!!! And other discoveries

Cirashala
Gondor

Jul 4 2013, 5:27am

Views: 1385
Shortcut
BOMBUR has lines in AUJ!!!! And other discoveries Can't Post

Well, it's official. I watched AUJ with subtitles (in hopes that my 4 year old will get additional reading practice by seeing the words as she hears the dialogue) and during the troll scene, Bombur is credited with two or three lines!

Warning-possible DOS spoilers!

I remember there was a thread quite a while back talking about how not everyone in AUJ had lines and how it seemed to tick a lot of people off that not every dwarf had their moment to shine, but I did a double take and rewatched it three times with subtitles and yes he does!

I watched it on my computer using Windows Media Player (don't know if different "delivery systems" have different subtitles).

So I guess every single dwarf had their "intro" in AUJ after all Smile

So, now that everyone has had a chance to watch AUJ to their heart's content (or for some of us, no amount of watching in the WORLD will fulfill our heart's content Wink), are there any things you missed before that you now notice that improves your enjoyment or lends further depth of understanding to the characters and helps you appreciate the phenomenal attention to detail these actors have shown to getting it right?

For me, watching it with subtitles a few times (I generally HATE subtitles because I have a tendency to spend the entire movie reading and thus miss some of the visual details-I am very much a visual learner) has helped to develop the characters further.

I noticed that when they are "debating" Bilbo's addition to the company (aka arguing), Kili says, "He's just fine." thanks to the subtitles. Kili really seems to have taken Bilbo under his wing- This starts by him being the only dwarf to refer to Bilbo by name (even if he did get it wrong), then he is the only one besides the Deaf Dwarf who thought he was an expert burglar and Gandalf to bet on him joining the company-also thanks to the subtitles, then he sticks up for him when the dwarves don't think he measures up, then he comes to his rescue albeit foolishly by himself with the trolls, then I saw in screencaps from the trailer that Bilbo in the Barrels out of Bond seems to be clinging for dear life (undoubtedly it was for dear life!) to Kili's barrel.

So hearing those subtitles for Kili fleshed out his character more-he is very open to differences, is willing to give Bilbo a chance, and it may even point out his own insecurities-this is his first adventure, he is the youngest of the group (I know the film suggested Ori, and whether or not PJ&co made him the youngest or not, I prefer to go with Kili is like canon and the Great Goblin is just stupid and picked the wrong dwarf), and he is eager to prove himself on the journey and make his uncle proud. So it would be very logical for him to stick up for Bilbo, because he sees them regarding Bilbo with the same or similar things that he may be insecure about in himself.

Subtitles (mostly for background conversation) have also pointed out to me that:

1. Dori is apparently a bad cook
2. Nori teases his brother like crazy.
3. Fili is a great galumphing git when he walks on tables according to Dwalin.
4. I see where familial ties are mentioned- Kili refers to Fili as "brother" during dinner (right after great galumphing git comment), Gloin tells his brother to watch out on stone giants, Balin refers to Dwalin as brother (though I don't need subtitles to recognize that). I cannot think off the top of my head whether Bombur or Bofur mention their brotherhood or Bifur his cousinhood or Balin and Dwalin and Oin and Gloin their cousinship to Thorin, and I know that Fili and Kili's nephew relationship to Thorin isn't supposed to be mentioned til Laketown. But with Thorin directing them personally in battle and the comments he adds onto orders, such as "make sure you stay with them" regarding ponies and the way he directs them specifically in battle but you don't see that much with the other dwarves definitely suggests a parenting figure, and also suggests that he trained them personally. Since he is the King, I cannot imagine him personally training his troops unless they were family. Besides, if you look at them both you see family resemblances-Fili's hair, while golden, is similarly styled to Thorin's- curly, loose but with side braids, and a slight volume atop the middle of his forehead, and similar nose and similar eye color. Kili's coloring and his death glare at the Great Goblin most definitely speaks volumes about how he is related to Thorin, since you see Thorin behind him glaring and they practically look identical! Plus, they are among the tallest dwarves, as are Thorin and Dwalin.

So, though I dislike them, subtitles have given quite a lot of insight into characters.

It's also nice to know that you see new things every time you watch it! Or you see something you have before, but you see it in a new light. That's why, even if they don't match the books, that I love BOTH the movies and books! The movies give you a visual way to experience the books, and the characters become more than just thirteen colored hoods but rather names and personalities you can get to know, and the book inserts details that the movies do not give you, thus completing the world in one's mind and IMO the books and movies complement each other. They don't match, they complement.

You come away from each with something new and insightful each and every time, and it really points to the depth and detail, the sheer and mythical and awe inspiring world that is Middle-earth, and the reason why we all love Tolkien's world so much Cool

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Subject User Time
BOMBUR has lines in AUJ!!!! And other discoveries Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Jul 4 2013, 5:27am
    Ok? so What... did Bombur Say? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 4 2013, 12:51pm
        I think bungobaggins Jul 4 2013, 2:10pm
            Yes, but this appears to be a deliberate decision... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jul 4 2013, 4:58pm
                Be that was it may... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jul 4 2013, 6:35pm
    I too have watched AUJ with subtitles Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 4 2013, 8:52pm
        With SubTitles on... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 4 2013, 9:46pm
        And yet we were repeatedly told Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jul 4 2013, 10:40pm
            Quote! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 4 2013, 11:11pm
            Were we told that would happen at the end of film one? entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jul 5 2013, 5:13am
                lol Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 5 2013, 5:47am
                Exactly...if you read the quote I posted above... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jul 5 2013, 6:37am
                    I'm having a hard time trying to think of which of the Dwarves Bilbo came to know in AUJ, apart from Thorin! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 5 2013, 6:55am
                        So far Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 5 2013, 6:56am
                            He interacted with them, sure. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 5 2013, 7:03am
                                True Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 5 2013, 7:16am
                                I think the convo between Bilbo and Bofur in theGoblin cave counts... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jul 5 2013, 10:19am
                                Agreed, and IMO we might have had more moments of the Dwarves interacting Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jul 5 2013, 4:02pm
                The implication to me was that there certainly Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Jul 5 2013, 4:01pm
        Were they really going to be 13 Gimli's? Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Jul 5 2013, 12:24am
            13 Gimlis Noria Send a private message to Noria Jul 5 2013, 12:28pm
            Not Gimli clones... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Jul 5 2013, 12:33pm
    Yes, subtitles offer additional insight... iduna Send a private message to iduna Jul 5 2013, 12:07am
    Yes marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jul 5 2013, 12:12am
        Durin family resemblance Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 6 2013, 6:36pm
            didn't quite say that marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jul 7 2013, 1:49am
                Should have phrased that better. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 7 2013, 2:12am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.