Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Did Gollum ...

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 11:44pm

Post #1 of 8 (293 views)
Shortcut
Did Gollum ... Can't Post

... have Norwegian relatives?

See picture in the attachment. Theodor Kittelsen was a late 19th - early 20th century illustrator of Norwegian fairy tales and folklore subjects. This one is called "Nokken" (there should be a line through the o) which is a water-spirit. Made me think straight away of Gollum with his "pale lamp-like eyes".

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 11:46pm

Post #2 of 8 (177 views)
Shortcut
Drat!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The attachment didn't attach. Will try again....
Attachments: Theodor Kittelsen - Nokken 2.jpg (41.0 KB)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 11:47pm

Post #3 of 8 (153 views)
Shortcut
hi na vedui : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

your attachment did not take.

i had (a lot of) trouble with this sort of thing as well.

1. click "choose file"
2. then click "upload attachment" (do +not+ click "inline")
3. then post

it won't work without #2.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 11:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (165 views)
Shortcut
Success! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for getting in touch, Maciliel. I knew you'd had a spot of bother with attachments and solved it in the end, so I was thinking of asking you if I couldn't get it to work. But I did figure it out second time round, as it turned out, so it's attached to the post called Drat.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 11:56pm

Post #5 of 8 (135 views)
Shortcut
ha! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

so i see. : )

so glad that you, too, can take pleasure in knowing you conquered the quest of attachment. : )

btw, i loved the pic you found... as soon as i saw it... i recalled seeing this when i was +very+ little. thought it was sooooo eerie.

yes, it absolutely reminds one of gollum, no?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2013, 1:27am

Post #6 of 8 (123 views)
Shortcut
Creepy picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Gollum following them in the river, or when he was on the loose stealing babies form cradles.

BTW "a Post Called Drat" is simply priceless Na Vedui!!!! That is a good enough title to deserve the writing of the rest of the book. Sly

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 5 2013, 2:07pm

Post #7 of 8 (46 views)
Shortcut
That is a cool pic!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 6 2013, 7:11pm

Post #8 of 8 (41 views)
Shortcut
Aah, not this picture again!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this picture on Wikipedia when I was researching various nature spirits in various European mythologies (long story). Brr! One creepy picture. It could definitely qualify for some high-octane Nightmare Fuel. I guessed it would be this one when I saw the post (lol, "a post called Drat". Now that has made my day Laugh), but I clicked on it anyway. Seeeeeriously creepy. And, yes, I never thought of it before, but it does look like Gollum! Glowing eyes and all... but it has a bit more hair. A younger relative of Gollum, perhaps? Carrying on the proud family tradition of lurking in mountain caves and ambushing random passers-by?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.