Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS rivalling FotR in terms of adventure feel?

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 1 2013, 9:41pm

Post #1 of 12 (927 views)
Shortcut
DoS rivalling FotR in terms of adventure feel? Can't Post

One of the things i greatly enjoyed in the FotR movie, was the sense of adventure. You had Sam and Frodo heading out of the Shire and travelling to Bree, the Fellowship heading out on it's quest and going through the mountains and into Moria, etc etc. And, even though i loved these movies aswell, TTT and RotK kinda lacked this a bit imo (because they focused more on the war).

Does anyone else think DoS might rival FotR in this? I'm not saying it'll be better or anything, but i just think there's enough material in it to really give you that same cozy and adventurous feel like FotR did.

We have:
-The company getting off the Carrock (assuming they'll show this in the movie)
-Travelling to Beorn
-Resting in Beorn's house
-Leaving Beorn's house and heading out to Mirkwood
-Entering Mirkwood and passing through it
-Travelling to Laketown after the barrel sequence
-Leaving Laketown and heading out to Dale and the Lonely Mountain
-Climbing the statue (and perhaps searching for it first) to reach the hidden door

Seems like there's plenty of adventurous moments to come. What do you think?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 3:45am

Post #2 of 12 (368 views)
Shortcut
and don't forget about the Elven stronghold in Mirkwood! [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 3:58am

Post #3 of 12 (368 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think it's quite an adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

And they have so many new (and exciting) places and people coming in to this next film/story that it will be lots of fun! I'm smiling just thinking about it! By the time the third film rolls around, the dwarves will have reached their destination and the focus will be, like TTT & ROTK, on war, in this case the BOFA. And let's not forget, this is Smaug's movie (IMO!) where we will FINALLY get to see him in all his splendor, and his voice! Gah! I'm more excited about this second film way more than I was for the first. (And I hope they don't leave Thorin by the wayside. Not that I'm biased or anything. No. Not me. Wink)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jul 2 2013, 4:00am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 7:56am

Post #4 of 12 (294 views)
Shortcut
agreed, however.. [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm beginning to seriously believe that smaug will not die in DOS, but will most likely be killed at the beginning of the last film. I think if PJ killed smaug at the end of DOS than the main audience would not return since the main plot is getting rid of the dragon.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 10:21am

Post #5 of 12 (254 views)
Shortcut
Im not so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

The main plot is about acquirig Erebor and the gold - getting rid of the dragon is just the main obstacle.

I cant really say where Smaug meets his end but if it is in DOS and PJ does the right job at hinting the struggle between the races for the unguarded treasure (and that the quest is far from over) then i dont think it will be a problem to get back audiences to see the third film.

Then again, in one of the interviews from last year's Empire magazine issue, PJ stated that they would be working on Smaug's appearance for both films 2 & 3 so that might put a few things in perspective I guess ...Smile

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 12 (204 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I think you're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

and when I think about it, it makes sense to kill Smaug at the beginning of the last film.They have to leave this one on some sort of suspenseful cliffhanger. I don't think the main plot is getting rid of Smaug though, although the title suggests the story is dragon-centric, and I can see how an audience who doesn't know the story might think that if the dragon is killed, that'll be the end of the tale. They wouldn't know about the battle at the end. I wonder where this second one will end. Maybe with Smaug flying to Laketown with the dwarves thinking they're free and clear of the beast, that the worst is behind them.

But we know better, don't we...........mmuhaaahaaaaa!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 3:53pm

Post #7 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
I always thought Smaug would last until TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

It just never made sense to me that Smaug would be built up as the super-villain he is and then only feature in one movie. He's too awesome to kill as quickly as that! Plus, having him fly off to attack Laketown at the end of DOS would make for one of the most suspenseful cliff-hangers of all time... and would ensure that all the non-readers come back for the third film!

(Many of them told me they didn't think it would be a trilogy, so if they saw Smaug die at the end of DOS they'd probably think, "Oh, he's dead. The Dwarves have their home and that's the end of it." This will keep them around till the end.)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 4:39pm

Post #8 of 12 (192 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Glorfindel, he... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, wait. He was edited out.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2013, 6:00pm

Post #9 of 12 (163 views)
Shortcut
i think that they would have to give us some dragon fire.. [In reply to] Can't Post

at the end of DOS, i mean if there is no smaug flying around raining down fire in DOS a lot of people will be disappointed.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 2 2013, 6:11pm

Post #10 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, well..... *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'd go the other way. I'm betting that Smaug will go down in the climax to DoS, because it seems to me to be far too big a scene to put at the beginning of a film. I'm thinking fall of Smaug, survivors of Laketown gather on the bank, relieved, horrified... Bard's dead... No he's not..

Dwarves in the mountain thinking Smaug's gone and starting to enjoy their treasure: victory, it's all over.....

... and just as the film ends we see the word of the fall of Smaug spreading and the armies beginning to gather to march on the mountain... It ain't over yet..... *cue ominous music

Of course, it'll probably be quite different and there are umpteen surprises they might have up their sleeves, but that's how I'd do it! Wink

FlameOFtheWEST
The Shire

Jul 3 2013, 2:29pm

Post #11 of 12 (93 views)
Shortcut
*****SPOILER**** Smaug in TABA prolouge? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Prolouge/Flashback for There and Back again could very well be the destruction of Esgorath. Remember the prolouge of The Two Towers? We never knew what happened to the Balrog or gandalf, and they showed us. The ending to DoS could end on Smaug leaving erebor and we don't know where he goes. Besides, smaug is too important a character so last only like 45 minutes.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 4 2013, 5:00am

Post #12 of 12 (75 views)
Shortcut
Going by all the changes - [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought Smaug would last until TABA

- I wouldn't be surprised if Smaug seemingly gets killed by Bard's shot at the end of DOS, only to wake up during TABA and find everyone fighting over his treasure.

Going by PJ's style, I wouldn't be surprised if a really annoyed Smaug turns up at the BO5A itself. I'm starting to suspect that just about everyone in the North is going to get involved in that event - with the possible exception of the Rangers.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.