Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - July 1

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2013, 9:19am

Views: 235
Shortcut
TIME - July 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

*Middle-earth calendars* Shire: 9 Afterlithe ~ Númenor: 10 Cermië ~ Rivendell: 42 Lairë

Midsummer's Day, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
Lithe : Mid-year's Day
1. Gandalf, Thorin, the Dwarves and their Burglar leave Rivendell for the Lonely Mountain.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."The next morning was a midsummer's morning as fair and fresh as could be dreamed: blue sky and never a cloud, and the sun dancing on the water… …they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure, and with a knowledge of the road they must follow over the Misty Mountains to the land beyond."

Midsummer's Day, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen – A promise is born.
(from the appendices)
..."...for a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlórien, until it was time for him to depart. And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth... ...and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.
...'And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."
...'But Aragorn answered: "Alas! I cannot foresee it... ...Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce."
...'And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said: "I will cleave to you, Dúnadan, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the land of my people and the long home of all my kin."'"

Midsummer's Day, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf meets Radagast the Brown.
(from the appendices)
..."'At the end of June I was in the Shire, but a cloud of anxiety was on my mind, and I rode to the southern borders of the little land. I had a foreboding of some danger, still hidden from me but drawing near. There messages reached me telling me of war and defeat in Gondor, and when I heard of the Black Shadow a chill smote my heart. But I found nothing save a few fugitives from the South; yet it seemed to me that on them sat a fear of which they would not speak. I...journeyed along the Greenway; and not far from Bree I came upon a traveller sitting on a bank beside the road... ...It was Radagast the Brown... ...He is one of my order, but I had not seen him for many a year.
...'"Gandalf!" he cried. "I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire."
...'"Your information was correct... ...But do not put it that way, if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are near the borders of the Shire now. And what do you want with me? It must be pressing. You were never a traveller, unless driven by great need."
...'"I have an urgent errand... ...My news is evil." Then he looked about him, as if the hedges might have ears. "Nazgûl," he whispered. "The Nine are abroad again. They have crossed the River secretly and are moving westward. They have taken the guise of riders in black."
...'I knew then what I had dreaded without knowing it.
..."'The Enemy must have some great need or purpose," said Radagast; "but what it is that makes him look to these distant and desolate parts, I cannot guess."
..."'What do you mean?" said I.
...'"I have been told that wherever they go the Riders ask for news of a land called Shire."
...'"THE Shire," I said; but my heart sank. For even the Wise might fear to withstand the Nine, when they are gathered together under their fell chieftain. A great king and sorcerer ... ...he wields a deadly fear. "Who told you, and who sent you...?"
...'"...Saruman the White," answered Radagast. "And he told me to say that if you feel the need, he will help; but you must seek his aid at once, or it will be too late."
...'And that message brought me hope. For Saruman the White is the greatest of my order... ...has long studied the arts of the Enemy himself... ...It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine.
...'"I will go to Saruman," I said.
...'"Then you must go now," said Radagast; "for I have wasted time in looking for you, and the days are running short. I was told to find you before Midsummer, and that is now here. Even if you set out from this spot, you will hardly reach him before the Nine discover the land that they seek. I myself shall turn back at once." And with that he mounted and would have ridden straight off.
...'"Stay a moment!" I said. "We shall need your help... ...Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
...'"I will do that," he said, and rode off as if the Nine were after him.'"

Midsummer's Day, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Wedding of Elessar and Arwen
(from the appendices)
..."...Then the King welcomed his guests, and they alighted; and Elrond surrendered the sceptre, and laid the hand of his daughter in the hand of the King, and together they went up into the High City... ...Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfillment."

Midsummer's Day, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo resigns office of mayor, and Will Whitfoot is restored.
(from the appendices)
..."If Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself; for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care. When the labours of repair had all been planned and set going he took to a quiet life, writing a great deal and going through all his notes. He resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets."

Midsummer's Day, 3082 (S.R. 1482)
1. The death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day.
(from the appendices-no text)
...And in the full tale of days, Sam is again parted from one he loves. With a deep sense of fulfillment and understanding beyond words, in his grief he finds comfort and waits for a day foretold.

**With homage to Rosie and Sam with our Kimi's wonderful Passing of Mistress Rose

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - June 28 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 28 2013, 4:15pm
    TIME - June 29 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 29 2013, 11:09am
    My explanation for Midsummer gR (gramma Reckoning) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 29 2013, 11:38am
        addendum grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 29 2013, 12:00pm
            Seriously, gramma, dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jun 29 2013, 1:43pm
                *sigh* Thank you :) // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 30 2013, 12:48pm
            TIME - June 30 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 30 2013, 1:11pm
                TIME - July 1 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 1 2013, 9:19am
                    TIME - July 2 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 2 2013, 9:15am
                        It's time for some BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 3 2013, 5:00pm
                            TIME - July 4 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 4 2013, 12:00pm
                                Forest of silver spears! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 4 2013, 10:46pm
                                    Fragrant Fireworks! :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 5 2013, 1:49pm
                                It's time for some BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 5 2013, 1:46pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.