Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New place you are most excited for

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 7:28pm

Post #1 of 21 (949 views)
Shortcut
New place you are most excited for Can't Post

Of all the new places we will see, which one are you most excited to learn more about?

Beorn's house, Mirkwood, Thranduil's halls, maybe Dale, Laketown, Dol Guldur etc etc.

For me personally, I am excited for Laketown because we get to see another community of men but with a much more eastern Middle Earth feel and look. Plus the whole town on the water thing is awesome!

Brego93
The Shire

Jun 30 2013, 7:59pm

Post #2 of 21 (445 views)
Shortcut
Gotta be more Erebor! [In reply to] Can't Post

The treasure room, the dwarves at the gate and ravenhill. Can't get enough of dwarvish masonry :P. An empty and desolated Dale is something else I can't wait to see!

"I don't know half of you as half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve"

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 8:01pm

Post #3 of 21 (464 views)
Shortcut
No Contest [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Beorn's house. I loved Tolkien's description of it in TH and hope that the film makers are able to capture its rustic and beautiful ethos.

Skaan
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 21 (428 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's lair [In reply to] Can't Post

Really looking forward to the moment Bilbo enters Smaug's lair for the first time and explores the room a bit before he finally spots Smaug

Carnivoran
The Shire

Jun 30 2013, 8:32pm

Post #5 of 21 (395 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Kingdom of Mirkwood. I would love to see a bit of the Iron Hills or a flashback to Blue Mountains.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 8:50pm

Post #6 of 21 (371 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's house definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

Me being an animal lover and all, I have a special interest in what his abode will look like, not to mention all the animals that he has around him. I also like a rustic/woodsy looking house, and I think his will definitely fit the bill! And his place, in my mind, has that fantasy feel to it without being Disneyesque.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jun 30 2013, 8:52pm

Post #7 of 21 (416 views)
Shortcut
Erebor, its armory, and Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Those will be cool. And I'll be enjoying the fact that Thorin finally dropped the log Peter thought he was carrying around for 60 years.

(This post was edited by Metal Slug on Jun 30 2013, 8:53pm)

emre43
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 9:05pm

Post #8 of 21 (409 views)
Shortcut
It was actually Richard Armitage's idea to carry the Oakenshield with him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 10:32pm

Post #9 of 21 (318 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I can choose. I'm very much interested to see more of Erebor and how torn up it is now because of how great it looked in AUJ. However, I am very interested in seeing Lake Town and Mirkwood.

cats16
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 10:36pm

Post #10 of 21 (321 views)
Shortcut
Probably Thranduil's halls [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see PJ's visualization of this realm!

Nunilo
Bree

Jul 1 2013, 1:36am

Post #11 of 21 (273 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one location that always stood out to me has been Mirkwood, and it's my favourite part in the book. So gloomy and oppressive, with the dwarves' enthusiasm for the quest slowly diminishing and their situation beginning to look more and more hopeless. Their plight here has always seemed to me as tense and significant as any of their encounters with trolls, goblins etc. I can't wait to see how this is done on screen.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2013, 1:43am

Post #12 of 21 (259 views)
Shortcut
i agree.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 3:55am

Post #13 of 21 (231 views)
Shortcut
all of it [In reply to] Can't Post

None more than the others, i am anxious to se them all.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 5:27am

Post #14 of 21 (207 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Easily Mirkwood. i'm very curious of how it all will look in the end.

not Beorn's house though because it's one place I've always had a good mental image of how I imagine it and of course it wont look like that hehe. No hate, just yeah. Wanna keep my version haha

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 1 2013, 6:54am

Post #15 of 21 (206 views)
Shortcut
For me it's always been... [In reply to] Can't Post

Laketown, Laketown, LAKETOWN!!!

And after seeing the trailer I'm not disappointed...I'm SALIVATING.
Esp as my one dread has not wholly come to pass, that it would be a CGI creation...I am correct that an actual semi-"on-location" Laketown was built somewhere outside the studio?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 8:37am

Post #16 of 21 (177 views)
Shortcut
Inside the studio, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

According the the Empire article, the Laketown set was built on soundstage K at Stone Street Studios in Wellington, and is "a marvel to behold".

You can read the full article here on the Heirs of Durin website.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 10:10am

Post #17 of 21 (155 views)
Shortcut
Thranduils halls [In reply to] Can't Post

and Dol Guldur.

namarie
Rohan

Jul 1 2013, 12:54pm

Post #18 of 21 (125 views)
Shortcut
Laketown and Thranduil's halls are the top two for me [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't wait to see Beorn and his house also.

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 1 2013, 2:04pm

Post #19 of 21 (104 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's halls [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of all - even more so after the glimpses in the trailer.

Could just say 'all of the above', really!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 4:19pm

Post #20 of 21 (45 views)
Shortcut
All of them!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see all of it!! Six more months... how am I going to last that long?

Strangely enough, though, I've developed a real curiosity for Laketown, a place I really didn't care for in the book! It all looks so good from what we've seen of it, though. I fully expect Beorn's house and Thranduil's halls to be equally stunning.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 4:58pm

Post #21 of 21 (37 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's house [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's hall. I loved the detailed woodwork have seen in a previous blog and it is so oversized. It made Gandalf and co. look like pygmies. It really had a Germanic longhouse/Scandinavian mead hall feel to it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.