Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Legolas vs a "serious orc?"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:17am

Post #1 of 27 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Legolas vs a "serious orc?" Can't Post

I just read the video description for Orlando Blooms farewell, and it mentions that he spent 12 hours fighting a serious orc. Now that's a major spoiler!
But all that was in my head was who is this orc and why is Legolas fighting him? There are only two serious orcs in these films and that is Azog and Bolg. My first thought was that he could be fighting one of them. But why? I thought these two were booked out in their one on one fights, and now Legolas is to fight one!? What if it is another orc that Jackson made up, like Narzug, or Fimbul? either way im not disappointed, I like the idea, but what are your thoughts on this?

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Lio
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 2:33am

Post #2 of 27 (769 views)
Shortcut
Maybe there will be another major Orc character? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you said, Azog and Bolg already have their own nemeses and I don't see why/how Legolas could fight either of them. (Unless it's a brief encounter that breaks off before either character is defeated).

But perhaps they will introduce another main Orc in the third movie, kind of like Gothmog was in RotK? Now before anyone starts saying that we don't need another Orc, I do think it might make sense from a filmmaking point of view. There will be many well developed characters on the good side, but other than Azog and Bolg most of the Orcs so far have been rather faceless. I think another villain might balance things out, although he won't be as important as Azog/Bolg. (Again, think Gothmog.)

And I just had another thought. There's been a lot of speculation that Tauriel will be killed, so maybe Legolas will battle her slayer? (Not sure if such a turn of events would be a great idea considering all the other things going on in the battle, but I just wanted to add to the speculation. Tongue)

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

TheCoon
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 3:05am

Post #3 of 27 (752 views)
Shortcut
im tired of serious orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

i need a funny one i wonder what robin williams is doing right now or mayb ryan Reynolds

lol couldn't resist

:)

as far as the actual subject goes gothmog was a badass so yeah but azog or bolg would be cool too specifically azog

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 30 2013, 5:49am)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 3:23am

Post #4 of 27 (716 views)
Shortcut
What does serious mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

Big, strong, mean, angry, upset, just plain serious, evil, assertive, coarse, unfriendly or just a jerk???

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 3:48am

Post #5 of 27 (679 views)
Shortcut
Context [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Big, strong, mean, angry, upset, just plain serious, evil, assertive, coarse, unfriendly or just a jerk???

In the context I think serious refers to a deadly foe trying to kill him ....

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2013, 4:58am

Post #6 of 27 (663 views)
Shortcut
Tra-la-lally Elves and Comic Orcs? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Goblin King wasn't enough unseriousness for you? You want more orc silliness?

"On second thoughts, let us not go to Mt. Gundabad. It is a silly place." Laugh

I'm thinking that since they just said "serious orc" and not Azog, it's probably Bolg, or perhaps another "hero" orc lieutenant who comes with.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 5:04am

Post #7 of 27 (623 views)
Shortcut
Well then [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

You "think" Wink

So by serious PJ means a normal orc then. Aren't all orcs deadly foes trying to kill their enemies? No reason to think it is an important orc. Not that you said it was.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2013, 5:14am

Post #8 of 27 (671 views)
Shortcut
I took "serious" to mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas' equivalent in the opposing forces, as distinct from a cannon-fodder orc that our heroes merely slash their way through in large numbers. Somebody who will be more of a match for him, if not quite his equal. So "serious" would mean an orc that is unusually large, mean, and ugly and stands out among the hordes so as to give some illusion of peril for Legolas.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 5:25am

Post #9 of 27 (611 views)
Shortcut
I like this definition [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas' equivalent in the opposing forces, as distinct from a cannon-fodder orc that our heroes merely slash their way through in large numbers. Somebody who will be more of a match for him, if not quite his equal. So "serious" would mean an orc that is unusually large, mean, and ugly and stands out among the hordes so as to give some illusion of peril for Legolas.

So the interesting question is, based on what we know so far, do any of the orcs we know of seem likely to end up fighting Legolas? Azog would seem like a no and Bolg seems unlikely too(but not 100% out of the question). Maybe in the build up to the battle(or rallying of the troops if you will) another big or perhaps smart orc will be introduced. One from Gundabad or perhaps an orc seizing rule over the goblins of the Misty Mountains?? I quite like the idea of a group of smart/mighty orcs planning and leading a large evil force. The good guys have some impressive leaders so why not have some evil ones too? There was a rumor that the Necromancer himself might be involved in some way.

(This post was edited by The Mitch King on Jun 30 2013, 5:33am)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 5:31am

Post #10 of 27 (618 views)
Shortcut
Another question [In reply to] Can't Post

When Legolas can put an arrow between someone's eyes with ease, take down an oliphant and it's riders, ride on shields etc etc what orc could possibly give him more than two seconds of trouble?? I think PJ didn't really mean anything by it and we are too hungry for more spoilers and big reveals.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:33am

Post #11 of 27 (614 views)
Shortcut
Idiomatic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You "think" Wink

So by serious PJ means a normal orc then. Aren't all orcs deadly foes trying to kill their enemies? No reason to think it is an important orc. Not that you said it was.

As in like the old gangster type films a "serious customer" which meant that person was not a commonplace type but a player or a tough guy, and now that you mention it I do think it will be a very tough goblin. I do hope it will not be a replay of Aragorn fighting the Uruk hai chieftain.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 5:35am

Post #12 of 27 (596 views)
Shortcut
Are there tough goblins though? [In reply to] Can't Post

At least tough enough for Legolas the oliphant slayer?

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:38am

Post #13 of 27 (620 views)
Shortcut
Soitenly [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg's Bodyguard ring a bell? Big and bad ect ....

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 6:31am

Post #14 of 27 (610 views)
Shortcut
You may have hit it on the head! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was forgetting about those big and nasty bodyguards!!! We just were never sure if they would expand on that small line or two where they are mentioned. It's a good theory but I still have suspicion we may be putting too much into a simple quote.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2013, 7:41am

Post #15 of 27 (567 views)
Shortcut
It depends on circumstances. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they're going to have Legolas in the battle and give him new stunts to do, they have to come up with an enemy/situation in which those stunts can work. My guess would be an orc leader of some kind, large enough to pose a threat. It doesn't have to be one of the named orcs, though it may be, and it doesn't mean Legolas is going to be the only one with a major fight on his hands. There must be more than one leader in a large orc army, and I'm sure there will be some left when he's done; other people have to have something to do too. Tongue

I expect a long battle taking up a substantial amount of the third movie, so there will be time for all our main characters to figure in somehow. Legolas will be one of several characters we are following through the battle, in addition to Thorin (and the other dwarves), Bilbo, Gandalf, Thranduil, Bard, and sooner or later, Beorn.

I'm not making anything more of it than this: Legolas fights a big, bad leader-type orc. I would have been surprised if he didn't.

Silverlode

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 7:50am

Post #16 of 27 (537 views)
Shortcut
So would I [In reply to] Can't Post

Seen from the orcish point of view, Legolas is a target because he's the King's son. In a battle, you aim for the leader/s of the opposing side.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 8:16am

Post #17 of 27 (597 views)
Shortcut
RE: Gothmog (Possible Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Many months back, (unless someone is playing tricks on me) someone posted a pic of Gothmog being dressed on the hobbit set (I believe he was lined to the Dol Goldur scenes), so it is highly likely he will be in the third film-it would be totally non-canon, but in the films it would be cool to see a orc leader in both trilogies.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 30 2013, 8:44am

Post #18 of 27 (541 views)
Shortcut
I think it ended up just being a coincidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl made this thread, and I think it's the same one you mean. It could be Yazneg, looking at screencaps.

Smile

Kirly
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 5:01pm

Post #19 of 27 (364 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you forget [In reply to] Can't Post

that from Legolas' perspective, none of that has happened yet. Perhaps he doesn't even yet realize his own abilities; working his way up to the feats we see decades later in LOTR.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 8:25pm

Post #20 of 27 (322 views)
Shortcut
a serious orc means [In reply to] Can't Post

... he reads camus.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

apariel
The Shire

Jun 30 2013, 10:13pm

Post #21 of 27 (274 views)
Shortcut
Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read about "Bolg" a few time - but - sorry - I don't know, who this is. Maybe someone could fill me in? It is not short form of Balrog? Is it?
Thank you! Smile

..." we are sitting on a field of victory,..."Smile

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 10:29pm

Post #22 of 27 (255 views)
Shortcut
Bolg is the son of Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

He is the leader of the orc army at the Battle of Five Armies in the book. Gandalf alerts Dain that the orcs are coming by saying that Bolg, whose father (Azog) Dain slew in Moria, is upon him. However, Peter Jackson has kept Azog alive and he may well replace Bolg as the primary orc leader at the BoFA in There and Back Again.

Here's a link to the LoTR Wiki page with a picture of his design for the movies

TheCoon
Lorien

Jul 1 2013, 12:41am

Post #23 of 27 (242 views)
Shortcut
as much of a toliken diehard i am [In reply to] Can't Post

im all for the return of gothmog!!!!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 1 2013, 1:10am)

Elthir
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 1:29pm

Post #24 of 27 (156 views)
Shortcut
I roll my hendu at this [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read the video description for Orlando Blooms farewell, and it mentions that he spent 12 hours fighting a serious orc.

Pff. The real Legolas could kill an orc much quicker than that. Yeesh.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 1 2013, 4:16pm

Post #25 of 27 (131 views)
Shortcut
Must have been [In reply to] Can't Post

Ryan Gosling in makeup. He's the king of stoic and serious.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.