Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ Quotability
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 32 (1125 views)
Shortcut
AUJ Quotability Can't Post

Hi, Spinner here. I'm a longtime reader of this forum finally de-lurking, so please be patient with me as I try to figure everything out... Anyway, since I prefer being a positive person in most respects myself, I wanted to start a positive thread and came up with this: Do you find yourself quoting AUJ during the day? If so, what do you quote and why?

I quote it all the time! I have found that AUJ can apply to a wide variety of every circumstances. For instance:

Family member cooking: "Is it tasty? Is it scruuuuumptious?" (Must always be done in a Gollum voice.)
Cooking with chicken: "Everything tastes like chicken." "Except the chicken." "What tastes like fish!" (Must always be done in a troll voice.)
Deciding to do something else after all: "Plans change."
Washing dishes: "Blunt the knives, bend the forks..." Every. Single. Time. It's practically a requirement by now.
Family member suggests going somewhere or doing something: "That does sound quite nice."
Pulling weeds in the garden: "He swore to wipe out the line of Durin." (Because I'd prefer to think about wiping out weeds rather than otherwise. Frown)
Any situation: "I have never been so wrong in all my life!"

Do you have any favorite lines you like to say throughout the day?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 29 2013, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 32 (575 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Werde Spinner! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad you de-lurked! Fun first post.

I love the weed-pulling line! I have a few of Durin's line I need to get to this weekend, as a matter of fact.

I also think of 'blunt the knives, bend the forks" when loading or unloading the dishwasher. Also, if I get frustrated with a crowded store or a client's employee who is particularly slow in getting me something I need, I confess I sometimes think of Gandalf's line about seeking the company of the only one around here who has any sense. Laugh Finally, I also like using a lighthearted 'at your service' sometimes, like when my dear better half needs a little favor. Laugh

Again, welcome to the forums!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 32 (582 views)
Shortcut
Hi and Mae Govannen WS!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for these- I do tend to use some quotes, but obviously more from LOTR than AUJ as yet. I use the Gollum one to my cat when trying to encourage him to eat some new cat food- not that he needs much encouragement! But I somehow associate Gollum and cats- maybe it's from Andy Serkis' comments that he based the Gollum voice, esp the throat noises on his cats bringing up hairballs (nice!!Pirate)
Another that I use sometimes, especially if family or work colleagues start asking me a question I'm not read to answer, is Thorin's oft used "What of it?"- but I don't think they've fathomed that one yetWink

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 9:23pm

Post #4 of 32 (557 views)
Shortcut
Super-Sized Thread IDEA!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "..as IF I was selling Buttons at the Door?"

2. (BestBilbo Voice) "..No, Thank You!"

3. "Thang you Berry Buch!"
Bilbo in Laketown
MUST be... BE
said?

Angharad73
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 9:26pm

Post #5 of 32 (552 views)
Shortcut
Every time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the doorbell rings - my 8-year old daughter uses her best Dwalin voice: 'That'll be the door.'

And then there is the 'Have you got a cheese knife?' when my husband asks for the cheese at dinner.

And apparently I say 'I'm sorry' just like Bilbo, raised hands and all.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 9:57pm

Post #6 of 32 (540 views)
Shortcut
When I catch a glimpse of the mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

in an interesting light, I find myself singing under my breath in a deep dwarvish voice, "Far over the Misty Mountains cold..."

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jun 29 2013, 9:59pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 32 (493 views)
Shortcut
That line gandalf says at the abandoned farmers house on the troll shaws: [In reply to] Can't Post

Something along the lines of
Bilbo: where are you going?
Gandalf: to seek counsel with the only one around here who has any sense
Bilbo: well who's that?
Gandalf: myself master baggins!

Among countless other spectacular quotes.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Kimtc
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 11:27pm

Post #8 of 32 (466 views)
Shortcut
I haven't used any from AUJ yet. Still tend to quote LOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a tendency to say "Is it secret? Is it safe?" to people a lot, no matter how mundane the item. And when my kids would come home, I'd say "What news from the Mark?"

However, we still have two movies to go....

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 11:28pm

Post #9 of 32 (455 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Werde Spinner! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea BTW!

I use "Good Morning" a lot, but my non-fan friends aren't quite down with the dismissive spirit of it yet.

There is that great line from Bombur: [.................. ] *must be said while chewing for full effect.*

Glad to know we are all doing dishwork with Blunt the Knives!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jun 29 2013, 11:28pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 12:25am

Post #10 of 32 (457 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I thought of another. [In reply to] Can't Post

People replied to me! Yay! Smile You have no idea how happy this makes me!

I thought of another thing I say regularly (I have no idea how it escaped me before): whenever I leave in the morning to go to school, I announce dramatically, "I'm going on an adventure!"

Sadly, I do not then get to run through beautiful Hobbiton trailing a contract behind me. I do live in a farming community, however... perhaps we could improvise some sort of Hobbiton-like area for me to run through. We need a few hedges, some cows and chickens, ponies and trees... Sadly, no Gandalf and no Dwarves. Ah, well.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 12:51am

Post #11 of 32 (447 views)
Shortcut
"IT'S A THUNDER BATTLE!" [In reply to] Can't Post

*Proceeds to assault every member of the family*

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:28am

Post #12 of 32 (427 views)
Shortcut
And yet another! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of sad, replying twice to my own post... but I keep thinking of more and more that I forgot to mention! Goodness, I hadn't realized just how much I reference this movie throughout the day. I'd say I have a problem, but I am entirely impenitent. Laugh

Something comes in the mail: "What is it, precious? What is it?"

Cooking a new recipe: "We've tried batses, goblinses, and fishes, but we hasn't tried hobbitses before!"

Old Toby
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 3:39am

Post #13 of 32 (403 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Werde Spinner! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fun first post! I admit I have rare occasion to use any quotes from AUJ, as quote-worthy as some lines may be! However, I often find myself singing the Misty Mountain song while I'm driving. I don't have the wonderful deep voice of RA, so can't give it the gravitas it deserves.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 4:17am

Post #14 of 32 (399 views)
Shortcut
Good evening [In reply to] Can't Post

This was just once, but when someone commented on how nice the weather was, I replied, "Yes, yes it is...though I think it might rain later."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 4:49am

Post #15 of 32 (391 views)
Shortcut
OT...as a change up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Learn to whistle
Sir James Galway's
"Shire" Flute solo!

Bomby has been whistling
THAT for years!

Last Night someone said HI!
Bomby said "At your Service"

It jus' popped out?

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 5:44am

Post #16 of 32 (359 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got neeker breekers (wood frogs) in the wet woods behind my house, and oft refer to someone being sly as 'tricksey".

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 7:54am

Post #17 of 32 (352 views)
Shortcut
I can't claim to have used it, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...one line that sticks in my mind is Bilbo's "And is he a great wizard? Or is he ordinary like you?"

Welcome to TORn - and thanks for a fun thread

lindorian
The Shire

Jun 30 2013, 9:49am

Post #18 of 32 (335 views)
Shortcut
My child's favourite... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason she loves one of Thorin's lines. It's the way he says it and it makes her laugh every time. So for no reason at all, she'll suddenly announce "Give him a pony" and then dissolve into peels of laughter. Her other favourite is "That'll be the door" which she uses whenever the doorbell rings.

One quote moves me very much. Gandalf's truism : I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay small acts of kindness and love.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 10:59am

Post #19 of 32 (337 views)
Shortcut
Woe betide anyone who says "Good morning" to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because in response they get this:
"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning. Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on, hmm?"
Yes I get some weird looks from that but I wouldn't say otherwise for all the gold in Erebor.

I also occasionally get the chance to say "I am never late, nor am I early: I arrive precisely when I mean to!"

And of course Balin's line when someone says good evening to me: "Yes, yes it is!"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jun 30 2013, 11:01am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jun 30 2013, 11:47am

Post #20 of 32 (278 views)
Shortcut
yeah me too [In reply to] Can't Post

although its hard singing like a deep voiced Dwarf when you are a girl. Blush I also tend to recite 'The Road goes ever on', when I see a nice country path I wish to walk down that looks mysterious and filled with shadows.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jun 30 2013, 11:52am)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 12:21pm

Post #21 of 32 (278 views)
Shortcut
Great post, Werde Spinner! [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome! Cool

I can find a quote from AUJ for pretty much any occasion, much to my family's chagrin, but I do find the quotations very helpful around the house. For example, there's the ubiquitous "Is it tasty? Is it scruuuuuuuumptious?" (You really must sing the last word for full potency.) Always useful when coaxing children to try food, along with "Try it. Just a mouthful." If the little darlings are hovering around the stove like vultures before a meal, I find "Keep your sticky paws off! It's not ready yet" to be quite persuasive. (If necessary, I add: "Just needs a sprinkle of squirrel dung.")

"It still smells of troll"--handy when the young ones have not cleaned up their rooms sufficiently.

"(We're) going on an adventure!"--for when the kids don't want to go somewhere, like the dentist. "It's perfectly safe! I'll be right behind you."

"Go away, and bother somebody else!"--useful with telemarketers, or even the odd mosquito.

"You think that's funny? You think x is a joke? You know nothing of the world."--most helpful with the adolescent.

When they can't go outside and play and are driving me to the edge of distraction with how bored they are: "It is raining, master dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is DONE. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard."

My kids are getting wise to me, however. Now whenever I tote out the "Because I'm the mom, that's why!" line, my daughter says innocently. "And if I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, then a burglar he is!" She also likes to remind me of her autonomy: "She's a wizard! She does as she chooses." (It doesn't fly.) When they comply with my orders, I say complacently, in my best Gandalf voice, "I think that would be wise." (I don't get to say that one much.)

Any spider is no longer just a spider, but "a spawn of Ungoliant."

And, naturally, "Dragon...DragOOOOON!" and "Give him a pony" can be worked into any conversation with a little effort. Wink

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 12:32pm

Post #22 of 32 (262 views)
Shortcut
Similar symptoms here [In reply to] Can't Post

though....

misty mountains is sometimes replaced with a comedic moment, in which i act the urukai part :

snif snif ..........grrnnnnnnn Men Flesh!!! Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jun 30 2013, 1:34pm

Post #23 of 32 (257 views)
Shortcut
My sister and I [In reply to] Can't Post

Love to say,
"Shut up!" (Suddenly, when the other isn't talking)
"I didn't saying anything."
"I wasn't talking to you." (In a gollum voice)

This is followed by a fit of giggles.

Another over used quote, but from LotR, is the "Whats taters, precioussss?"
But replacing taters with whatever we're talking about. This morning I was talking about silm, and my sister (who hasn't read it) asked me,
"Whats Feanor, preciousss? Whats ssssilmaril?"
My answer, "your're hopeless." Laugh

The other day, when doing something we shouldn't have been doing:
"Shouldn't we tell Mom?" (In a bilbo voice)
"No, let's not bother her."

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:20pm

Post #24 of 32 (251 views)
Shortcut
The things I always quote: [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't apply much to my everyday situations, I just like saying them due to the way the characters say them:

"Ooooh! Evenin', brother..."

"He said he's an expert, ahey!" (I love Oin's "laugh", mainly why I say it).

And then as usual I'm good at the Gollum voice so I normally use random Gollum quotes from both trilogies.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:42pm

Post #25 of 32 (240 views)
Shortcut
a few [In reply to] Can't Post

a friend of mine was looking at some crochet things at the store once and I said "yeah crochet's a fun game...if you have the balls for it"

I'm a master at the Gollum voice so I'll break it out at unexpected times it freaks the kids out to no end. but when they are expecting it they enjoy it sometimes quotes from the movies or just random stuff in the Gollum voice

when someone didn't pass a geography test I said "You know nothing of the world"

my nephews and nieces have said that my manneriss were like Bilbo's even before the movie came out.

this isn't a quote but I like to try and comb my hair like Thorin's although he has a widow's peak and I don't cause I'm in my early twenties and my hair isn't falling out. if it ever does I'd like to wear it like Thorin's

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.