Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
101 uses for cram
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 8:19pm

Post #26 of 85 (233 views)
Shortcut
Good man.// [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 8:29pm

Post #27 of 85 (233 views)
Shortcut
No.19 [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been watching Wimbledon and I'm sure that is a cram tennis ball that Serena Williams is firing at her opponent!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 8:44pm

Post #28 of 85 (229 views)
Shortcut
No. 20 - Frisbees? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cram is supposed to be hard and dry, isn't it? I always picture it as little round biscuit-y things, so the idea of them as mini Frisbees came to mind. You could throw them to your dog to play fetch or something.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 8:46pm

Post #29 of 85 (221 views)
Shortcut
good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

good point, werde spinner (and mae govannen : ) ).

looking at your avatar, i suspect they also would be an aid to eomer, if he were to use one as a spear-tip.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 9:02pm

Post #30 of 85 (215 views)
Shortcut
Exactly, Werde Spinner. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frizzies, as they were known of old.
Eomer could also have used them to shoe the horses.

And welcome to the the forums and general silliness.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 9:13pm

Post #31 of 85 (221 views)
Shortcut
No. 21 and No. 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

21. Regenerates health (as seen in the Fellowship of the Ring video game)

22. Great for fire throwing attacks--pinecones can be used when necessary

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 11:02pm

Post #32 of 85 (200 views)
Shortcut
Similar to the grout idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

as a wet paste, perhaps with some diamond dust mixed in for strength, an excellent mortar for repairing the Front Gate.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 12:41am

Post #33 of 85 (190 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I may have another use. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome! Smile

Your comment made me think - perhaps the cram could be used as a sort of whetsone, to sharpen swords or spear tips? It seems grindable enough, too. If all else fails, one could throw it at the mumakil. Perhaps it'd knock them out or something. Ooh, I know! You could get a pile of them, load 'em in a catapult, and fire them at the orcs! It would be super-effective!

Are we still keeping count? I think that's about three uses there or so...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 2:12am

Post #34 of 85 (197 views)
Shortcut
I just have a cram sort of mindset. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought of a few more! In keeping with the whole mortar/grout idea, perhaps you could just dry cram as building blocks. I'd imagine they fit together nicely, like LEGOs, and if they don't, you can just wet a biscuit or two and use it as mortar. You could build some nice military fortifications solely out of cram. Who knows? Perhaps the Uruk-hai would break upon them like water. Perhaps that's the real secret Gimli was talking about at Helm's Deep!

Another use for cram would be to put it around flowerbeds and fish ponds as a sort of attractive and decorative border. However, the squirrels and other assorted wildlife might try eating them... Hmm. Perhaps it'd break out their teeth and they wouldn't want any more of it?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 3:45am

Post #35 of 85 (183 views)
Shortcut
Insulate your house with cram [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what number we're on.

Cram, cram, cram, cram -- wonderful cram!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 3:58am

Post #36 of 85 (200 views)
Shortcut
Nos. 23 - 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is it. Brethil and Werde Spinner both came up with mortar so it's just listed once (#23)

23. Making mortar (wet and mix with diamond dust) for repairing the Front Gate
24. Sharpening weapons
25. Throwing at mumakil
26. Catapulting at orcs
27. Drying for building blocks
28. Building Uruk-hai-proof military fortifications
29. Using as a landscaping decoration
30. Insulating a house

(This post was edited by Eye's on Guard on Jun 30 2013, 4:04am)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 1:07pm

Post #37 of 85 (163 views)
Shortcut
31. Might be useful to scour the stain off Radagast's side of the face (more cram needed, stat!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 1:12pm

Post #38 of 85 (170 views)
Shortcut
32. The board is set, the pieces are moving...and if your board is missing any pieces, try chiseling a chunk of cram into chessmen, that might work in a pinch. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Jun 30 2013, 1:13pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 1:22pm

Post #39 of 85 (163 views)
Shortcut
lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 1:23pm

Post #40 of 85 (163 views)
Shortcut
33. make them into cram-hai [In reply to] Can't Post

33. morgoth, sauron, or saruman could make them into cram-hai, in mockery of cram

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jun 30 2013, 1:24pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2013, 1:32pm

Post #41 of 85 (157 views)
Shortcut
23. skeet shoot targets [In reply to] Can't Post

Did we miss 23-30?

I'm gonna say #23 skeet shoot targets. If you can hit one of those puppies sailing through the air, you'd be a pretty awesome sharpshooter. Especially with a bow and arrow ;)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 1:33pm

Post #42 of 85 (157 views)
Shortcut
good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

good point, gramma. : ) but i'm thinking you'd break your arrow if you hit the target! : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 3:49pm

Post #43 of 85 (153 views)
Shortcut
Christmas fruit bread [In reply to] Can't Post

Those loafs of fruit bread were legendary for never decomposing. So while in Middle-earth, glue some apricots and apple bits to cram and mail it to your relatives on Durin's Day. Don't be surprised to see something uncannily familiar as your gift from them next year.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 4:12pm

Post #44 of 85 (147 views)
Shortcut
Holiday mathom - excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Those loafs of fruit bread were legendary for never decomposing. So while in Middle-earth, glue some apricots and apple bits to cram and mail it to your relatives on Durin's Day. Don't be surprised to see something uncannily familiar as your gift from them next year.

Ahh, the gift that keeps on giving. With a shelf life calculated in several decades its the Middle Earth ancestor to the Twinkie. (But not nearly as tasty I fear.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 4:54pm

Post #45 of 85 (141 views)
Shortcut
Rangers use cram to mark trails [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way, is it just me, or do folks have the impression that cram is a dwarf-thing? Gimli credits (or blames) the Men of Dale with its origin, although Thorin and Company were supplied with it by the folk of Lake-town. I think that posters may be confusing cram with the dwarf-breads of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 5:21pm

Post #46 of 85 (133 views)
Shortcut
In US we call 'em fruitcake [In reply to] Can't Post

And your post raises a very ponderous question: was the fruitcake inspired by the cram? Or was the cram inspired by the fruitcake?

And which one would win in a fight? Or would they cancel each other out? Laugh.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 10:56pm

Post #47 of 85 (123 views)
Shortcut
37(?) Surveyor's corner markers. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, to mark the corners of a parcel of land? For that you need something permanent, something that won't wear away over millennia of being staked into the ground.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 10:59pm

Post #48 of 85 (119 views)
Shortcut
38. Patio paving blocks. [In reply to] Can't Post

You need something that will resist erosion and won't crack easily.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 1 2013, 12:51pm

Post #49 of 85 (106 views)
Shortcut
39? [In reply to] Can't Post

Use it to throw at spiders- far more damaging than stones

'There lie the woods of Lothlorien!' said Legolas. 'That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold.'

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 1 2013, 4:43pm

Post #50 of 85 (94 views)
Shortcut
40. Make Cram, Cram, Cram, Cram, eggs, sausage and Cram.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"123456!... password!... password1!... password2!... Gimli, do you know Durin's date of birth? Thanks. 140457!... mithril@!... mithril#!... maltbeer!... qwerty!... Legolas, do your elf eyes see any post-its lying around the base of the cliff?"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.