Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
(Previosuly posted about a year ago in a rather shorter form) Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
Poll: (Previosuly posted about a year ago) Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
Treebeard (though he may be more appropriate for slowest)
Galadriel
Eru Illuvatar
JRR Tolkien
Varda
Eowyn
Glofindel
Morgoth
Goldberry and Tom Bomadil
The Talking Purse
Gandalf
Ingwe
Imin (the first Elve to Awake)
Melian
Elrond
Sauron
Tom Wlliam and Bert
Thorin
Arwen
Earendil
Dain Ironfoot
Bilbo
Thingol
Manwe
Lorien
Mandos
Tulkas
Farmer Maggot
Smaug
Aragorn
Sam
Luthien
Beren
Hurin
Haleth
Radagast
Beleg Strongbow
Osse
Grima Womtogune
Cirdan
Gollum
Yavanna
Aule
Tar Aladarion and Erendis (He has seen the far reaches of Arda, whilst she could shed some light on living in Numenor at its height)
Frodo
Maglor
Gari-bari-Ghan (Admittedly it might be a bit hard to understand...but you know, rustic charm..)
The Blue Wizards
Durin The Deathless
Eriol (I would have loved to hear about the cootage of lost play first hand)
Saruman
Roac
Gwathir
Rumil the Door Ward
Pengholod
Fireside Stories scare me
Other
Can't I watch a movie instead?
Faramir
If I found myself in Middle Earth I'd try to experence things first hand, rather than listen to stories
View Results (192 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 7:00pm

Post #1 of 8 (862 views)
Shortcut
(Previosuly posted about a year ago in a rather shorter form) Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories? Can't Post

I previously posted this poll (with different options) about a year back, but I thought it was a fun idea, and was wondering if any of our 'newbies' had opinions to add.

Picture it, its a cold winters night in Middle Earth, and one of the above invites you to pull up a chair and listen to some stories.

Though not all were ‘storytellers’ as such in the books, I believe all the individuals listed above would have interesting stories to share in their own unique way…even the talking purse (Although his/her knowledge of the common speech seems to be somewhat limited it would be interesting to get a sentient purse’s angle on Middle Earth…) though of course some would be more gripping or good at hooking an audience than others-Farmer Maggot despite his reputation of knowing a great many things didn’t seem to have the most friendly of reputations for instance, even Professor Tolkien didn't seem to be a great Public speaker

My choices:

Obviously Bilbo as the primary author of the Hobbit and a contributor to The Lord of The Rings would be in there-he certainly has the temperament and popularity amongst younger hobbits to tell an entertaining tale, he’s clever, funny and not afraid to speak his mind, in all respects a very hobbity hobbit with plenty of connexions and knowledge of the elder days to draw from, but a down to earth persona and....interesting poetry. He could even shed some light on the Shire's Legends (The Were Worms of the Last Desert for instance) As a hobbit would make nice tea and crumpets as well so that's a bonus...

Tom Bombadil-its Tom Bombadil ‘nuff said.

Gandalf: Two thousand years-worth of traversing middle earth would lead to interesting stories, and the friendship of the Hobbits would certainly rub off in a positive manner, wise and open to discussion, with experience of life in Valinor, the only drawback would be his somewhat guarded personality (i.e. not revealing about the ‘nameless things’ in the tunnels of moria), and occasionally forgetful nature.

Cirdan (anyone who has read my blog will know why)- The last known survivor of the great Journey in Middle Earth, a member of the White Council, ringbearer, veteran of all four ages, personal friend to the Valar and leader in the siege of Angmar and battle of the last Alliance, he certainly has an impressive CV. If you add in his numerous connexions (the istari, valar etc) mysterious beard, lifespan (witnessing pretty much all of Middle Earth’s ‘main’ history) and foresight he certainly has enough stories to draw from, though admittedly with his quiet temperament and somewhat sparse appearances in the main areas of Middle Earth he might not have the gravitas to grip an audience.

Durin the Deathless could be interesting to listen to-he could shed info on the Dwarvish Legends and culture of the first Age, the whole reincarnation thing, as well as all the memories of the countless battles, and relations with the other six (virtually unknown) Dwarven houses.

Who would you choose?

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jun 29 2013, 7:00pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 7:12pm

Post #2 of 8 (778 views)
Shortcut
was a little unsure of the poll [In reply to] Can't Post

i interpreted the poll to mean, "who was the best storyteller?"

not

"who had the most interesting stories to share?"

a lot of these folks were crossed of my list because i didn't think they would handle narration well, even if the story itself was interesting.

cheers --

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 7:23pm

Post #3 of 8 (770 views)
Shortcut
Yeah soory about that...I meant both I guess, that's the 10 minute edit limit for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 8 (769 views)
Shortcut
ha! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

been there. : )

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 5:52pm

Post #5 of 8 (746 views)
Shortcut
I voted Gandalf, Durin and Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

because I think they not only would have things to tell about but would tell it well ... !!!!

Interesting from Durin, to hear his rebirth tales, and of the awakening of the Dwarves. Picturing HW's Elrond I could listen to endless tales.

And of course: I would *never* leave out Gandalf. Would love being invited along to Tom's for the conversation...

Misto
Lorien

Jul 3 2013, 10:26am

Post #6 of 8 (710 views)
Shortcut
Ah well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Picturing HW's Elrond I could listen to endless tales.

... I could, without doubt, listen to HW's Elrond voice for ever.Wink

But Elrond is high on my list on his own account . I also really like the idea of having Tar Aladarion and Erendis for a little fireside chat.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 3 2013, 3:24pm

Post #7 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut
Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, he was Gil-galad's bard so he must be a great story-teller!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2013, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 8 (739 views)
Shortcut
That could get...interesting!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I also really like the idea of having Tar Aladarion and Erendis for a little fireside chat.

Agree entirely on all Elrond points too Misto.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.