Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
You are casting director for a movie of Beren & Lúthien. Who do you call?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 1:21pm

Post #1 of 60 (1391 views)
Shortcut
You are casting director for a movie of Beren & Lúthien. Who do you call? Can't Post

Please also say why you think a particular actor is right for the role - that will make the discussion much more interesting.

Btw the reading room is discussing Beren & Lúthien at present, (http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=618772#618772
but "who to cast" sounds like a more general interest

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 29 2013, 2:33pm

Post #2 of 60 (794 views)
Shortcut
A stab [In reply to] Can't Post

For Luthien, Jennifer Lawrence. This photo, for example, shows why I think she could pull off the look. http://images5.fanpop.com/...25022431-594-525.jpg Regarding her acting I have only seen her in "The Hunger Games" in which I found her excellent, but she has been nominated for, and won, Oscars for roles in very different films so I trust she's a talented actress.

For Beren, I like the look of Chris Pine (Star Trek's Kirk). See, for example, here: http://anchor10art.blogspot.com/2011/01/chris-pine.html (Scroll down for photo). He has a rugged look I feel would suit Beren. He also looks fine with darker hair than found here, I have seen him with dark brown in other images, and that is how I imagine Beren. I am less sure of his acting. While I loved him in both Star Treks , I am not sure if that is because he is generally a good actor, or if it is because he is an excellent Kirk.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jun 29 2013, 2:36pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 60 (704 views)
Shortcut
Well...If It was me I would probably try my hardest to see the film shut down (I don't want to see it filmed)... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But I do Agree with Jennifer Lawrence as Luthien-fantastic actress, Emma Watson might do a ok job as well. As for Beren, it depends how young you are going with the cast-Chris Pine, Liam Hemsworth, Scoot Mcnairy and Casey Affleck could be good choices.

Michael Fassbender would make a great Turin while were here. But in all honesty I'd rather the book was left alone-we never even got Tolkien's final version of the story, I don't want hollywood to come in and do the finishing touches.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 60 (663 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for joining in, despite your misgivings if the whole concept! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly started this because I felt I didn't have much of a feeling if what the characters looked like (as usual Tolkien does not describe that much). "Casting" it is a way of discussing how others see them: we don't have to imagine an actual movie, if that causes shudders!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 3:22pm

Post #5 of 60 (699 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm terrible at this game, but was wondering about casting David Tennant as Thingol
http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0855039/
Best known for having played a Doctor Who, as a character also inclined to know best rather too much. It might be an interesting portrayal he's also a versatile actor- liked his Hamlet, for example.

Who to play Melian? Someone rather unworldly, I suppose. Probably a bit oddball, but how about Judi Dench http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0001132/ (long acting career, maybe most widely seen as M in recent Bond movies. I could imagine her being both regal and mysterious. And able to play the relationship with Thingol any way one wants (he keeps ignoring her advice- how does she feel about that?)
As well as casting an older actor here, I think it's open to do something outside the pretty young Caucasian casting call: an Asian or black actor perhaps.

We need to cast Sauron, & not as a firey eyeball.
And Finrod! There's a good part!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 60 (697 views)
Shortcut
Some ideas Furincurunir [In reply to] Can't Post

Well for many, many years my Morgoth (in a human form) has been Rufus Sewell.

Beren I have pictured only recently as a scruffed Andrew Lincoln, only because he strikes me as having an amazing profile and eye resemblance to Viggo at times. A bit older maybe but I don't picture Beren as fresh faced or too youthful looking.

I can see Harriet Walker as Melian.

Rachel Weisz as Luthien?

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 4:43pm

Post #7 of 60 (695 views)
Shortcut
This is Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

No actor under the age of 40 should be playing these roles. These are mature people in a mature relationship. Everyone mentioned so far is too young ( in every meaning of that word). Beren needs to project a strength not just of body but of mind. He must project ultimate manliness. Chris Pine and Liam Hemsworth are boys. (I have a bias here. I didn't think Pine was right for Kirk.) Gerard Butler comes to mind as a possible Beren. Luthien should be someone we haven't heard of yet. Her face cannot be too modern, which is where most actress today have a problem.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 5:21pm

Post #8 of 60 (651 views)
Shortcut
How about Jessica Chastain, Julia Robets or Amy Adams for Luthien or Melian? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I do have my misgivings, but I guess as we are just speculating I'll be OK Wink

I haven't read The Sil in ages (one of the reaons I have stayed away from the reading room lately) but I always pictured Luthien as a dark haired, blue eyed in her mid 30's (no Idea why).

noWizardme: I believe Tennant would be a good choice (I always invishioned Daniel Day Lewis) for Thingol (Ironically he was linked to Thranduil in the hobbit films at one point-Thrandy being Thingol in all but name) and I'm a big fan of his Doctor.

David Warner or John Hurt would make a great Cirdan The Shipwright.

This is not a very interesting signature is it?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 5:56pm

Post #9 of 60 (681 views)
Shortcut
i did a casting of all the sil [In reply to] Can't Post

my list will look different than anyone else's, of course.

i was casting for (in this order)

1. acting skill
2. physical representation of the character / how that actor would look / interact with related characters in the story

here's my list so far, in case anyone's interested. it's not complete.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 5:57pm

Post #10 of 60 (643 views)
Shortcut
why didn't the doc upload? [In reply to] Can't Post

i used "preview," and it looked like the doc was attached...

why isn't it appearing in my post?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 8:24pm

Post #11 of 60 (647 views)
Shortcut
A 40 year-old as Luthien would seem strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No actor under the age of 40 should be playing these roles. These are mature people in a mature relationship. Everyone mentioned so far is too young ( in every meaning of that word). Beren needs to project a strength not just of body but of mind. He must project ultimate manliness. Chris Pine and Liam Hemsworth are boys. (I have a bias here. I didn't think Pine was right for Kirk.) Gerard Butler comes to mind as a possible Beren. Luthien should be someone we haven't heard of yet. Her face cannot be too modern, which is where most actress today have a problem.

Luthien might be centuries (or even millenia) old, but she has to at least look young. And the film audience have to be able to believe that she is Thingol and Melian's daughter, not their contemporary.

Emma Watson has grown into a lovely young woman. She might indeed be a good choice.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 60 (641 views)
Shortcut
I'm not v good at imagining casting lists, but here goes- [In reply to] Can't Post

We were talking in the RR about James McAvoy as a possible Beren and I could see him as Beren from the point of view of a world worn and yet slightly naive character. Another possibility could be Luke Evans, just from a physical type point of view (tho v different to JMcA), although I'll reserve judgement until I see him as Bard.
Somebody mentioned Clive Owen as Morgoth, but I see him more as somebody like Barahir
The non-humans are always more difficult- how to cast Luthien "the most beautiful of all the Children of Iluvatar"? I was thinking of Eddie Redmayne as Finrod or Orodreth, since he has a slightly otherwordly quality about him, but maybe he's a bit too young.
And, of course, Benedict Cumberbatch as Sauron!!
That's the best I can do I'm afraidBlush
Edit: Ooops- my mistake- it was Rufus Sewell as a potential Morgoth, not Clive Owen. Not sure about that, since I don't see Morgoth as looking particularly human. I could imagine RS as Curufin or Celegorm though!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

(This post was edited by elaen32 on Jun 29 2013, 8:49pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 29 2013, 9:19pm

Post #13 of 60 (621 views)
Shortcut
There are some... [In reply to] Can't Post

who think 40 is young.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 29 2013, 9:33pm

Post #14 of 60 (601 views)
Shortcut
It's all relative [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are some... who think 40 is young.

:-)

I'm over 50 myself, and I think that a 40 year-old would be fine for Melian ('though perhaps not too much older). But I think that Luthien has to embody at least the physical appearance of youth.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jun 30 2013, 2:36am

Post #15 of 60 (584 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jennifer Lawrence has too much of a baby face IMO...she's a good actress, but IDK if she'd be up for playing Luthien.

And most of the male actors mentioned so far seem...too Hollywood.

These would be hard roles to cast for sure.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

boldog
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 11:56am

Post #16 of 60 (575 views)
Shortcut
i have a few..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey is a Spanish actor, who played the role of a mermaid in the latest pirates of the caribean film. She in my eyes is perfect for a luthien.
http://www.examiner.com/..._Berg_s_Frisbey_.jpg

As for Beren, that is a tough one, but I have one for Sauron....... Tom Hiddleston could be perfect. the way he portrayed Loki in the Avengers, to me was how I can imagine Sauron, in the first age.

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2013, 1:26pm

Post #17 of 60 (562 views)
Shortcut
Great idea :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know she's already an Elf, but I think Evangeline Lilly would be a wonderful Luthien; and Taylor Kitch as Beren.

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2013, 2:03pm

Post #18 of 60 (567 views)
Shortcut
My two pennies [In reply to] Can't Post

for Luthien, I am thinking of Kate Beckinsale. Maybe its a matter of taste, but I think of her looks as featuring classic Luthien-esque raven-haired, alabaster-skinned beauty. And I think she has just the right mix of Elven elegance and heroic toughness (see her action roles from the Underworld series) that she could pull it off. when she fired her handguns she never flinched, thus avoiding the need to make her wear shades during the shootout-scenes.

For Beren, I agree with someone's posted idea of Andrew Lincoln (he's the Sheriff from Walking Dead, right?). When I see him I picture him as a believable predecessor-analogue to Aragorn. He has the demonstrated ability be able to lead as an epic, romantic hero, while also mature-looking, someone who can portray suffering, not too pretty-boyish.

For Morgoth, what if he were portrayed by a woman, like Helen Mirren? Or a child, like Freddie Highmore? After seeing him in an episode of Bates Motel I'm convinced he has the dimension and versatility to play ultimate evil. But if we must cast him as a man, then perhaps Thomas Hardy. that guy is a true chameleon and capable of portraying menacing evil, as seen in Dark Knight Rises.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:11pm

Post #19 of 60 (564 views)
Shortcut
Youth + maturity [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Idril that a typical young actor wouldn't fit very well in these roles, unless they had a lot of maturity for their age. You're right that they need the appearance of youth, but they also need a sense of depth and subtlety that you can feel in them.

It's in the eye of the beholder, of course. If I were a teenager (which I was when I read the book), I'd think most actresses in their 20s were mature enough to play Luthien. Being in my 40s, I see the character as demanding a lot of different traits that are hard to come by: young, pretty, heroic, innocent, deep (to name just a few).

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:16pm

Post #20 of 60 (552 views)
Shortcut
Finding Beren [In reply to] Can't Post

He has the demonstrated ability be able to lead as an epic, romantic hero, while also mature-looking, someone who can portray suffering, not too pretty-boyish.

I agree with you. There are some popular actors that are handsome and rugged that I would dismiss because they seem too pretty also. Beren had a rough life and some dark passages that he never reveals, so an actor who was like a beach boy surfer-dude might have the rugged physique, but not the "suffering" sense.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 2:18pm

Post #21 of 60 (542 views)
Shortcut
so you're... [In reply to] Can't Post

so you're not one of the dunedain? funny, i thought you were more like 132, and the heir to a lost kingdom or something....

funny how impressions over the internet can be...

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:24pm

Post #22 of 60 (565 views)
Shortcut
You get my casting votes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen Rufus Sewell in anything for years, but he'd make a great Morgoth with those piercing eyes.

I think a 2001 Viggo could play Beren. I thought of him when I first saw him as Aragorn. Andrew Lincoln has similar qualities.

Ultimately, I could never cast Luthien. It's like Helen of Troy: who is the most perfectly beautiful woman ever? No mortal (even with the right makeupSmile) would qualify that everyone could agree on. But I'd go with Rachel Weisz any day. (in or outside of a movie!)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:25pm

Post #23 of 60 (562 views)
Shortcut
Tennant would make a great Thingol. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:28pm

Post #24 of 60 (543 views)
Shortcut
From Loki to Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see Tom Hiddleston as a great Sauron. His portrayal of Loki makes you think there's something quite sinister inside, even with the rather boyish features of his face.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 2:31pm

Post #25 of 60 (553 views)
Shortcut
Good choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Gerard Butler would make a good Beren. I think a younger Russell Crowe could too.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.