Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ian Mckellen has finished shooting
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 8:21pm

Post #26 of 41 (329 views)
Shortcut
Sadly true B-I... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a somewhat negative attitude towards any literature which is not "gritty realism" or set in modern days. Shops are no better- I was furious one day, to go into my local WHSmith and find that a book by Sharon Penman- my favourite writer of historical fiction, had been placed in the Romance section, together with Mills&Boon et al. SP is so far from that genre, being nearer to history fact than fiction- all she does is fill out the characters as people a little more. But historical fiction gets tarred with the same brush- there is an awful lot of bad historical fiction out there, but the best is truely great in my opinion!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 8:30pm

Post #27 of 41 (329 views)
Shortcut
If it were to happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

First I would die of laughter. Second I would take full credit for the idea and demand that I be listed in the credits as either a writer or creative consultant. Tongue

Also it would be very amusing to see people on facebook and youtube defend it with our favorite argument: "It's in the appendices!"

demnation
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 9:03pm

Post #28 of 41 (293 views)
Shortcut
It depends on the people and location, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently went into an independent bookstore (in Sacramento, California, no less) where I found Tolkien stacked right next to Tolstoy. This was, of course, after I had searched up and down for him in the fantasy section. In the end, I don't think it really matters anyway because while Tolkien may not have fancy awards or critical acclaim, what he does have are readers, which is all any writer can ask for.

( and as for the topic, I think we all feel honored that Sir Ian was a part of these films, and I'm glad he seems to have enjoyed it.)

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by demnation on Jun 28 2013, 9:04pm)

cats16
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 9:38pm

Post #29 of 41 (290 views)
Shortcut
Truly bittersweet [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep it short and simple: Thank you, Ian. Without question, you are my Gandalf. Best wishes in the future.

Smile

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 12:53am

Post #30 of 41 (235 views)
Shortcut
Standing ovation for Ian McKellen! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just impossible for me to picture any other face set to Gandalf now! Just the perfect casting ever! A joy to watch in Lord of the Rings and just as joyful reunion in the Hobbit!

End of shooting is always rather bittersweet! <3

vexx801
Rivendell

Jun 29 2013, 2:21am

Post #31 of 41 (216 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Many words could describe what Tolkien's work personally means to me, so via Peter Jackson's adaptations I have seen that world of Middle Earth come to life. Last shot with Gandalf... thank you, Sir Ian McKellen.

totoro
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 4:31am

Post #32 of 41 (204 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, Sir Ian [In reply to] Can't Post

You rock.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 9:25am

Post #33 of 41 (165 views)
Shortcut
Still in fantasy in Waterstones [In reply to] Can't Post

I am discussing this pidgeon holing elsewhere on the site and when Jean M Auels Earth Children series ends up in the novels section and Tolkien does not it shows that we have not made much progress since the 60's on the nature of Tolkien's work.

Sir Peter's comments that DOS maybe his strongest film may be tied into the very heavy input Sir Ian will have to the movie. I expect his full arc to be played out away from the company in this second movie.

I saw him in the Syndicate in the break from filming in 2011 he was every bit as believable in that role though quite different. He has this amazing ability to get inside the natural rhythm of a character. He has a real genius for taking into himself the inflections and physicality of a character. If I can make a really odd comparison it is the completeness that Meryl Streep brings to her best work.

Wouldn't it be wonderful on one level if these films receive absolutely no awards at all excepting he and Martin for acting, acknowledging how much craft is required to act with believability in a very heavy green screen environment.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Foromir
Rivendell

Jun 29 2013, 1:33pm

Post #34 of 41 (149 views)
Shortcut
After all the talk and mixed feelings about The Hobbit films... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am surprised how truly moved I am reading this news and seeing that photo. I am so happy to have lived to see Middle Earth come to life through the genius of these two men. Thank you PJ and Thank you Sir Ian! Your Gandalf will stay forever!

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 2:51pm

Post #35 of 41 (125 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a look at the thread you mentioned.

The first time I saw Ian McKellen was in the BBC's Hamlet, playing opposite Judy Dench, played against a black, almost non existent set. I couldn't have been more than 12 at the time, but the whole family was glued to the screen 'til the end. I've seen him on stage only twice - Coriolanus and Waiting for Godot, with a gap of about twenty years - combine those two roles and you get a slightly shabby old man who's extremely dangerous in a fight - the perfect Gandalf.

The only other actor I've seen with that kind of physical presence is Alan Rickman, though I wish I'd caught Peter O'toole in his heyday.

I think the fact that he is yet to win an Oscar just shows that those awards are not much cop when it comes to recognising quality acting - you need an Olivier Award for that.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 3:39pm

Post #36 of 41 (125 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sad this is getting nearer the end all the time. I love Middle-earth and I'm thankful such good movies have been done on the subject. I'm gonna be a mess at the end of TABA. Thank you to all of them folks involved since 1999.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Jun 29 2013, 3:40pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 4:35pm

Post #37 of 41 (115 views)
Shortcut
Don't think like that [In reply to] Can't Post

We still have 5 installments to look forward to (films plus EE's). The time to feel melancholy is not yet at hand.

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 5:16pm

Post #38 of 41 (104 views)
Shortcut
This is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots to look forward to. Just feeling a bit down the last couple days but you're right there is a lot of things to look forward to. Thanks for the keep your chin up post.

willowing
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 8:20pm

Post #39 of 41 (87 views)
Shortcut
Tell me, where is Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad that my knowledge of all things Tolkien was non existent when the LOTR was filming. The actors, the crew, were already chosen and the script written up and in action before I step into this universe. Not until about 2005-6 when the continued buzz hanging over the success of the movies aroused my curiosity to take an Unexpected Journey into Middle Earth.

Sir Ian is the only face and body that I have seen who wears and carries the mantle and name of Gandalf with great dignity.

Its been said and I will say it again Thank you Sir Peter for the vision that made you chose Sir Ian as Gandalf. To Sir Ian its a well known fact that many offers of roles passed your way while you were on location in New Zealand filming LOTR and The Hobbit, but you turned down a fair few because of your commitment to bringing a classic to the screen.

I don't think this will be a total ending to what has been an incredible journey into a fantasy world of Tolkien movies and literature.

"The road goes ever on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the road has gone
And I must follow, if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
Quoted from Fellowship of The Rings off the Goodreads website

Kirly
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 8:16pm

Post #40 of 41 (50 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember the Olympics in London recently? The opening ceremony was at least partially dedicated to British literature, if I recall correctly (which I may not) and yet I failed to notice any mention of Tolkien. Or did I simply miss it?

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 11:32pm

Post #41 of 41 (25 views)
Shortcut
Bless you, Dear Sir. Thank you for doing this. LOVE YOU! // [In reply to] Can't Post

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.