Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Has anyone noticed the thread count?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 4:16pm

Post #51 of 125 (183 views)
Shortcut
Many baking uses [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... of you with orcrist. a fine blade, and it slices flaky strudel so delicately.

It also is excellent for shaping those spicy little Gingerbread Dwarves at holiday time. Thorin of course gets extra icing. And sometimes chocolate dipping as well.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 7:10pm

Post #52 of 125 (175 views)
Shortcut
Gingerbread dwarves eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those ginger bread men which weren't cut er... quite so accurately with your sword, so the fuzzy outlines can be beards, hair etc? And I told you not to go on about chocolate dips and Thorin!!AngelicWink

I fell out of this conversation earlier because I fell asleep (not feeling so good today) and had one of my infamous dreams (!Shocked!) which involved you me and Mac (who had blond shoulder-length hair) and one of my best friends from RL, planning some baking for Hallowe'en. But we had to do this in secret for some reason, so, instead of trick or treating, we were delivering goody bags to houses and leaving them on the doorstep. Then we all ended up in the Globe Theatre in London (the rebuilt replica of Shakespeare's theatre)- but it was not clear why! I think I really need this week off, just to get my brain back in order!!PirateWink

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 8:03pm

Post #53 of 125 (166 views)
Shortcut
halloween!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

telain elaen!!!!! halloween is my favorite holiday!!!!

there is so much fun to be had there! : ) i'm in, whenever you are.

i'm honored to be in your halloween dream, but -- just to say -- in it, i was wearing a disguise, as i haven't been blonde since i was a toddler. my hair is shoulder-length, but it is dark.

should i ask... in my blonde guise.... did i.... ask you to look into my mirror? tell you to keep the hidden passage secret? lament that i was stuck at home while the men went to battle?

would +love+ to see the globe. let's make plans!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 8:29pm

Post #54 of 125 (159 views)
Shortcut
Confustications!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that maybe I was getting quite good at guessing the appearance of the RR attendees and other Tornites! I got Brethil completely correct and previously, when I saw a picture of Gramma- she looked identical to how I had imagined. As do Squire, Annael and Ro (from what Ive seen of pictures). Mind you, I never pictured you with blond hair when I was awake- just in this dream!! You were typing in part of the dream and had to finish something off before coming to the kitchen- but no mirrors etc

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 8:37pm

Post #55 of 125 (163 views)
Shortcut
Belated pony muffins [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, so time passes differently in Tol Eressea, and muffins are hard to come by in bakeries full of flat lembas wafers. But here ya go with a pony muffin (googling "Thorin Muffin" resulted in some "stud muffin" images which were audacious, if not exploitative. (*listens to Google crash as the RA army starts typing away*).

(Thanks to Magpie for her helpful tutorial.)

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jun 28 2013, 8:37pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 8:43pm

Post #56 of 125 (151 views)
Shortcut
that's a [In reply to] Can't Post

... really nice picture of you, randalf. funny, 'tho... i never pictured you as a blond... (but i did guess the green skin right!)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 8:51pm

Post #57 of 125 (153 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... technically you still haven't guessed (to my knowledge). that was only a dream... with dream costumes, sets, and dialogue (written by your subconscious).

lemme try with you....

i see you as... about 7 feet tall... and you have silver hair. you are a bit imperious with the people around you, which is why you hang out on these boards so much. you give off a regal air, but that may just be the sachets of kingsfoil you keep about your person.

am i close?

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 8:56pm

Post #58 of 125 (150 views)
Shortcut
Well, you have to downsize photos to post on TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

That muffin is really 7 feet in diameter, and that's life-size, anatomically-accurate me perched on it. I was teased in school for being not very humanoid, but I have come to mature acceptance of my uniqueness. And I can outrun anything on two legs, so I routinely win marathons, which I think is pretty cool. (Gives new meaning to "Ponyboy" in The Outsiders book, doesn't it?)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 8:59pm

Post #59 of 125 (153 views)
Shortcut
Not into personal attacks, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read that it was "fan outcry" that caused PJ to delete the stuff about Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep. (*sigh of relief*) I wasn't active on movie boards until after they came out, so I wonder how that outcry reached PJ without demonizing him?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 9:09pm

Post #60 of 125 (140 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps it's impolite for me to say, but you're talking to yourself again, randalf.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 9:10pm

Post #61 of 125 (138 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely, 100% Maciliel [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have the gift of foresight? Of course, silver hair is rather difficult to manage- it keeps tarnishing, so one has to keep polishing it- personally I get my serfs to do that! From my vantage of 7 foot, I can look down on most people, so of course I am imperious

PS, if you don't want kingsfoil, I can flog you some more interesting herbs! Radagast has sourced some good mushrooms too- for mushroom and cheese muffins of courseAngelicWink

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 9:15pm

Post #62 of 125 (137 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the 7 foot muffin...! [In reply to] Can't Post

...which sounds very much like something I would say to a friend who set me up with a very tall blind date. Speaking of dates...being able to braid your mane for dates must have quite an impact. Dates and scones is another segue we could make.

Very nice photo, although I see we will have to go with Randalf the Teal.

I do love a good pony muffin. Almost as much as a tasty pony cookie. But a scale Thorin muffin *really* would have been nice. (I could dip it in chocolate - yes, I heard you Elaen the chocolate connection is simply beyond my control. Its watching all that RH with the leather pants. So not my fault.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 9:21pm

Post #63 of 125 (156 views)
Shortcut
you clever [In reply to] Can't Post

you clever, minxy telain elaen! you are making me laugh out loud +quite+ a lot today.

"Of course, silver hair is rather difficult to manage- it keeps tarnishing, so one has to keep polishing it"

it's wonderful to have my prodigious powers of intuitive observation confirmed, thank you.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 9:25pm

Post #64 of 125 (134 views)
Shortcut
Cos Liv cried! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the EE Appendices she says she read the internet criticism and cried. So she took her concerns to Phillippa, Fran and Peter and then sat "dreaming" in a restaurant with Phillippa, re-writing her part!! So, maybe, if TH cast cry- PJ may take some notice- mind you, probably only if they're female, and Evangeline Lilly is not likely to cry herself out of the movie Just saying......

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 9:25pm

Post #65 of 125 (137 views)
Shortcut
The choclolate dipping is part of my idiom. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are those ginger bread men which weren't cut er... quite so accurately with your sword, so the fuzzy outlines can be beards, hair etc? And I told you not to go on about chocolate dips and Thorin!!AngelicWink Too late. I've even said it some more. And don't even get me started on how I shape them.

I fell out of this conversation earlier because I fell asleep (not feeling so good today) and had one of my infamous dreams (!Shocked!) which involved you me and Mac (who had blond shoulder-length hair) and one of my best friends from RL, planning some baking for Hallowe'en. But we had to do this in secret for some reason, so, instead of trick or treating, we were delivering goody bags to houses and leaving them on the doorstep. Then we all ended up in the Globe Theatre in London (the rebuilt replica of Shakespeare's theatre)- but it was not clear why! I think I really need this week off, just to get my brain back in order!!PirateWink
Yes, you need time off: silver-haired healer, heal thyself! I wonder if you dreamed of the Globe because we had talked about Macbeth a few days ago? Baking is a given we did that to your poor brain earlier. And of course Mac (in her Mod Squad disguise) and myself in the dream - I'm seeing a pattern: clearly TORn is responsible for all your internal derangements. You must make sure you read some of the lovely and intriguing posts from the fascinating Fealoki before bed tonight. Maybe you will have an intuitive dream that guides us to that Dragon's oh so mysterious identity.

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 9:42pm

Post #66 of 125 (135 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean +bottom lip quivers+ [In reply to] Can't Post

That I can't come to TORn any more?FrownPirate Sniff.... That would kill us Precious- I'll be nice to them if they'll be nice to us! We promises not to have any more silly dreamses ( or not any that we're telling about) and promises to be good (shut up, don't trust them Precious). We are off to bed now, to dream nice dreamses about nice fisshh, Mac Hobbitses etc ( I said shut up!- don't tell them you dreams about Mac Hobbitses) But Brethil and Maciliel and the RR crew is our friends ( no Precious, they are wicked, tricksy, false.....) Leave now wicked Gollum, I need my sleepses. Sweet dreamses all!SmileAngelic

In Reply To
I'm seeing a pattern: clearly TORn is responsible for all your internal derangements.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 9:45pm

Post #67 of 125 (123 views)
Shortcut
s'okay [In reply to] Can't Post

s'okay, telain elaen. i will see you in your dreams tonight. oh, and i might be a redhead this time (heads up -- and i've also been one of those in real life). also, after we do the globe, i'd like to check out bath. mr. tilney might be there.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jun 28 2013, 9:48pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 9:46pm

Post #68 of 125 (123 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear no...! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you mean - lip quivering That I can't come to TORn any more?FrownPirate Sniff.... That would kill us Precious- I'll be nice to them if they'll be nice to us! We promises not to have any more silly dreamses ( or not any that we're telling about) and promises to be good (shut up, don't trust them Precious). We are off to bed now, to dream nice dreamses about nice fisshh, Mac Hobbitses etc ( I said shut up!- don't tell them you dreams about Mac Hobbitses) But Brethil and Maciliel and the RR crew is our friends ( no Precious, they are wicked, tricksy, false.....) Leave now wicked Gollum, I need my sleepses. Sweet dreamses all!SmileAngelic

In Reply To
I'm seeing a pattern: clearly TORn is responsible for all your internal derangements.

Oh no. Not at all! We love you deranged. Get some sleep and make sure you post your dreams tomorrow!!!!! Wink

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 10:57pm

Post #69 of 125 (109 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'd appreciate it you wouldn't interrupt me while I'm talking to myself. Whatever happened to manners these days??!!

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 11:13pm

Post #70 of 125 (110 views)
Shortcut
Elaen, you just need a quiet meal with a close friend to get you back on track. [In reply to] Can't Post

A guy friend, someone whom you're not attracted to but trust intimately, and who has reasonably good table manners for a guy.

[I am having way too much fun with photos today!]

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 29 2013, 2:02am

Post #71 of 125 (106 views)
Shortcut
Not according to the FOTR appendices. [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Liv and Philippa, PJ came to that decision during film-making when they figured out how to have Arwen more active in the story without having to be a sword-fighting elf. The idea that the fan outcry over XenArwen caused PJ to change his approach to Arwen is a fan-wish that has grown in the telling.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

squire
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 3:03am

Post #72 of 125 (96 views)
Shortcut
The appendices are invaluable [In reply to] Can't Post

But as you say, with your repeated use of "according to...", they are not authoritative in questions about the filmmakers' motivations. The appendices, in my limited observation, put a light-hearted but positive gloss on all aspects of the entire production. It seems that all was for the best in that best of all possible trilogy film projects. I don't suppose we'll ever know the "real" reasons behind questions like Arwen's repurposing, until "tell-all" memoirs are written at the ends of careers that are currently in full bloom.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 4:42am

Post #73 of 125 (91 views)
Shortcut
lmdao! [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, randalf... i'm starting to observe a mean streak in you. i'm impressed. perhaps i'll put in a good word for you with morgoth.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2013, 5:49am

Post #74 of 125 (91 views)
Shortcut
There were also [In reply to] Can't Post

reports that Liv simply wasn't good at/comfortable with the fighting. I remember reading an article in which they were shooting a fight scene for Helm's Deep and Liv sort of panicked and either hit her horse with her sword or nearly did and was upset about it. From all I can tell it was one of those things that just didn't work for multiple reasons and so it was abandoned. There were plenty of other things that caused a fan outcry and they stayed in, so even though they may have noted the reaction against Xenarwen and it confirmed that it would be better left out, it wasn't the only factor.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 6:05am

Post #75 of 125 (98 views)
Shortcut
I agree actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was being tongue in cheek and a bit facetious about Liv's crying moving PJ's stony heart ( kinda like Luthien crying and singing before Mandos!) WinkTongue
I think it probably did become obvious that Xenarwen wasn't working out. I note in the Appendices that there seemed to be several clips if Lani. Jackson doing a lot of Liv's stunt work, also elsewhere Miranda Otto reports Liv telling her how hard the fight work was. It appears that Miranda found it a little easier.
And I agree that the Appendices are a somewhat sanitized version if events, given what we hear actors saying elsewhere!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.