Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "This way, hobbits..."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 5:08am

Post #1 of 4 (426 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - "This way, hobbits..." Can't Post

Hi all, as we draw to a close on The Two Towers, here we have our final screencap - -

This whole post is more of a general discussion, whether it be of the cap itself or the movie altogether, but here's a couple questions nonetheless:

1.) Thoughts on the framing here? Everything is sort of on an angle, save the trees. Anything stick our in particular?

2.) What's your opinion of this less than subtle cliff-hanger? If I may say, I've always loved this little stinger; very haunting and close to the chest.

3.) Any other thoughts/comments?

Many thanks to those who participated on this journey through The Two Towers (both hosting and posting). I'm currently looking for volunteers to help start up Return of the King next month here, for those who are interested to get in on the action.

Thanks evermore, and happy posting. Smile

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Jun 29 2013, 5:09am)

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jun 30 2013, 1:45am

Post #2 of 4 (248 views)
Shortcut
Was watching TTT on TV the other day and this scene made me think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this "cliff-hanger" and Gollum's final dialogue ("we could let her do it") is a good way of foreshadowing what comes in the next movie.

The last bit of dialogue between Frodo and Sam is very heart-warming, but we are reminded of the peril they are in by Gollum's argument with himself moments later. This is *teasing* done right; perhaps if LOTR had been made in 2013 after the credits of TTT, the camera would randomly cut to Cirith Ungol, teasing Shelob eating an orc or something. Rather than TTT's foreshadowing, the trend in modern movies seems to be less than subtle "reveals" following the film's credits; like the Marvel/Avengers movies.

You are right that this is not very subtle, but it's subtle enough; the average viewer probably isn't sure of what Gollum is referencing. I've always enjoyed - and been unnerved by - this scene.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 2 2013, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 4 (224 views)
Shortcut
Not Really A Dutch Angle [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Thoughts on the framing here?

Absolutely fantastic! This location was a great find!

Everything is sort of on an angle, save the trees.

This is called the “Dutch Angle”, misnamed from “Deutsch Angle”. German impressionist films often tilted the camera to express disorientation, confusion, or madness. The Third Man (1949) famously used the Dutch Angle to portray the protagonist’s alienation in a foreign environment.

Of course upon examination the camera is not tilted, but the actual land itself. This means something.

Anything stick out in particular?

The tilted land and the straight trees represent the dichotomy going on. Frodo and Sam are having a charming conversation about stories and their place in them. Gollum and Smeagol are having a chilling conversation about betrayal and murder.

I leave as an exercise which is the tilted conversation and which is the straight.

2.) What's your opinion of this less than subtle cliff-hanger?

I note when the film first came out many non-readers said they thought “she” was Galadriel.

If I may say, I've always loved this little stinger; very haunting and close to the chest.

It was a natural if sad end to Smeagol’s character arc. He had a chance to redeem himself, but in the end like most addicts he seized on any excuse to backslide. Change the setting from Middle-earth to any modern big city and Smeagol’s tragic story of addiction, betrayal, and death would be one of millions. I always thought Sam got a bad rap in “spoiling” Smeagol’s redemption. If not that then it would have been something else. That's just the nature of addiction.

It’s interesting that the hobbits try to keep upright and oriented with the trees, while Gollum allows himself to tilt with the land. (Indeed, in this shot he tilts even more!)

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred.
And I am hungry.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2013, 1:18pm

Post #4 of 4 (161 views)
Shortcut
Great ending [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole post is more of a general discussion, whether it be of the cap itself or the movie altogether, but here's a couple questions nonetheless:

1.) Thoughts on the framing here? Everything is sort of on an angle, save the trees. Anything stick our in particular?
I think of the expression, "Something's off", as in, something's not right, not what it seems. The off balance look shows how something is not right between Frodo, Sam and Gollum. Frodo is still trying to believe he can trust Gollum, Sam is talking about great tales and stories, Gollum is plotting to murder them. Everything's out of whack, off balance - tilted. That the trees are standing upright is to highlight the off-balance of everything else, however it can also mean that the world of nature is in balance, straight and true - it's the world of Men, Hobbits, etc., that is lopsided and off-balance.

2.) What's your opinion of this less than subtle cliff-hanger? If I may say, I've always loved this little stinger; very haunting and close to the chest.
It's fantastic - I do love the subtlety of not giving away who 'she' is. I was a movie-firster, so while I had absolutely no idea who 'she' was, I just was more intrigued and couldn't wait to find out. And also I found this scene very saddening, because I had gotten to feel sympathy for Gollum, and this scene really drove home that he hadn't changed at all.

Overall I thought this was such a perfect ending for the second part of a three part series. It wrapped up many threads, yet still left you hanging and wanting to know "what happens next".

Loved the music at the end of these scenes. Creepy, beautiful, foreboding all at the same time.

Many thanks to those who participated on this journey through The Two Towers (both hosting and posting). I'm currently looking for volunteers to help start up Return of the King next month here, for those who are interested to get in on the action.

Thank *you* for running the SCOD show, One Ringer!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.