Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Silmarillion movie Part 2
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Silmarillion movie Part 2
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
View Results (31 votes)

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Jun 27 2013, 8:53pm

Post #1 of 28 (362 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion movie Part 2 Can't Post

Sould Peter Jackson direct a Silmarillion movie?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 28 (255 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely not. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 27 2013, 9:05pm

Post #3 of 28 (256 views)
Shortcut
could we get the option of simply "No"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't do the long version with all the exclamation points. :-)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 28 (255 views)
Shortcut
You must be [In reply to] Can't Post

vehemently against or jubilantly for. There is no middle ground Wink

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:24pm

Post #5 of 28 (260 views)
Shortcut
100% No and the book I hope the book will NEVER be adapted. Jackson himself would recoginse he is innaproriate...I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

The Book is unfilmable, Tolkien' life work, and in complete contradiction to the angle PJ's films have taken, it would need so much restructuring and invention the film would ulimtely be a loosely inspired fan fiction. I do not want to see Tolkiens life work bastardised into something like that when there is no need or purpose beyond commerial factors, especially when we never got Tolkiens final version of the matter (Its not as if A film would benefit the book-beyond limitng new readers imaginations, and likely making them assume the narrative was as action packed and commerical structured as the film).

That said someone could come in and perhaps make a great film, but I would really rather not see it happen (not for a few decades at least, and not without the direct assistance of the Tolkien Estate). And I don't want to see Phillpa 'Hasn't read it in 25 years' Boyens, and Peter 'Quite Possibly found it very boring even if he has' Jackson involved at all when it does happen.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 11:40pm

Post #6 of 28 (236 views)
Shortcut
If the occasion arises... [In reply to] Can't Post

...let someone else have a chance.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:51pm

Post #7 of 28 (233 views)
Shortcut
As I said its unfilmable (IMO) so i'd want someone totally at odds with Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

If your going to make a mess of things why not do it in style?

Hayao Myzaki, Darren Aronofsky and Terrence Malick could do interesting things with the material

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:11am

Post #8 of 28 (230 views)
Shortcut
Assuming it's being done as a series... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as in my post in the other thread, I like the "realistic" treatment Jackson has applied (at least, in LotR), but don't think the Jackson team is appropriate to do the scripts. Wrong mindset.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:16am

Post #9 of 28 (229 views)
Shortcut
Darren Aronofsky [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard good things about his work. From what I've heard, I think he'd be a good match for a Turin film.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:35am

Post #10 of 28 (221 views)
Shortcut
Watch his film The Fountain, and the upcoming Noah-I think he'd nail the creation myth aspects at least [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been browsing the forum archives and 'Silmarilion film' seems to come up alot (I apparently started a few polls on this myself...) there seem to be about 150 different threads on this subject! few are below:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...lion%20Movie;#327883

http://newboards.theonering.net/...lion%20Movie;#480017

http://newboards.theonering.net/...illion%20Film;#45601

http://newboards.theonering.net/...llion%20Film;#610495

http://newboards.theonering.net/...llion%20Film;#589624

http://newboards.theonering.net/...lion%20Movie;#433733

http://newboards.theonering.net/...lion%20Movie;#506813

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:41am

Post #11 of 28 (221 views)
Shortcut
Noah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think it has the potential to be fantastic.

Yeah, the Silmarillion movie topic comes up a lot! It's just too fascinating a subject to not talk about Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 28 2013, 12:42am

Post #12 of 28 (226 views)
Shortcut
meh... [In reply to] Can't Post

;-p

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:45am

Post #13 of 28 (219 views)
Shortcut
What fascinates me is I get both terribly excited and very very worried whenever I hear reports or rumours about A Silmarillion film [In reply to] Can't Post

So from my perpesctive its just easier if it dosen't happen Wink.

I'm still waiting for a Beren and Luthien full narrative text before we see an adaptation...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:52am

Post #14 of 28 (218 views)
Shortcut
That will never happen [In reply to] Can't Post

B & L, that is. At least, it'll never be canon, IMO. Some author might decide he/she is going to write it, but a Tolkien-based full length narrative is doomed to fancy, I imagine.

I don't get worried about Silmarillion movie rumors simply because the Tolkien Estate has made it clear that the rights aren't going up for sale any time in the near future, and I'm sure after how The Hobbit has turned out, that's not likely to change. Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:52am

Post #15 of 28 (222 views)
Shortcut
Your ambivalence is astounding ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:55am

Post #16 of 28 (216 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure after how The Hobbit has turned out, that's not likely to change.

You may have a point there...it did change a couple of things I supposeTongue

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 3:17am

Post #17 of 28 (217 views)
Shortcut
yes, yes, yes!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

spj.

yes.

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 4:24pm

Post #18 of 28 (223 views)
Shortcut
Wrapping myself and Telpemairo in tin foil... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
spj.

yes.

I know there is great fear about it - but I would be interested in seeing it done - as Elizabeth points out not as a film per se but a series would fit the style better. (I confess Maciliel and I have indulged in *some* casting speculations...)

For me it can only be a win scenario - if I hated it, I simply wouldn't watch it...it cannot ever change my love or perception of the source material in any way. And if it was enjoyable - voila! More muffins are better than less muffins.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 10:18pm

Post #19 of 28 (206 views)
Shortcut
Need more options// [In reply to] Can't Post

If Peter Jackson wants to direct Silmarilion adaptations, I want to see 'em. I sort of doubt he does though. Wink

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2013, 6:20pm

Post #20 of 28 (166 views)
Shortcut
this is wonderfully stated [In reply to] Can't Post

brethil tengwadil...

if spj does it and we like it, all good. if we don't, we can ignore, and someone else can take a shot later.

i do empathize with the notion that when something's been optioned and produced and distributed, it probably would be a long while before it appeared in another format.

for example, 'tho i admire a lot of the redford/farrow great gatsby, i was hoping there'd be more versions. well, i got my wish for productions, but neither (the toby stephens/mia sorvino or the baz luhrman versions) are to my taste. the sorvino version had the added handicap that some of the dresses looked like they were from the '30s than the '20s. and i don't care for luhrman's work at all, so the current version is a non-starter for me.

so, it probably be many, many years before someone tackles gatsby on the big screen again. it's more uncommon that we get a dangerous liasons (pfeiffer/close/malkovich) and a les liaisons dangeroux (firth/benning/tilly) at the same time.

so i could see that being bothersome to someone who wasn't amenable to spj doing the silmarillion, but, all else being equal, one doesn't have to watch or even remember that it exists.

i've largely forgotten the bashki version, which, i don't remember as being terrible, but looking at screen clips now, is very far afield from the version i prefer (spj's). but its existence does not take away one bit from jackson's films.

cheers --

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 4:08pm

Post #21 of 28 (149 views)
Shortcut
You're asking for muffins again? When does it ever stop? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 4:44pm

Post #22 of 28 (160 views)
Shortcut
Great Gatsby and remakes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks you Telpemairo fir the compliment...

I agree with you very much, sometimes a decade or so, with changes in styling, affect the quality and the 'repeatability' of a major work. (Dual 'Liasons' was unique: I love the Firth-Bennig-Tilly one BTW). In the sense of Gatsby you are in the position of being a connoisseur of vintage, so your knowledge of the age affects your perception - a difficult position for you, when you want to have it be 'right' in terms of the age (as it should be if it's filmed period.)

Baz Luhrman coined a new word for my inner dictionary: luhrid. Wink 'Nuff said.

Personally I have to say I've simply never been a fan of the Bakshi version of LOTR; nor of the animated Hobbits. I consider myself a fan of animation, they simply never grabbed me...of course there was such a long time when that's all there was! So although I went into FOTR as a *HUGE* skeptic, (probably because of what we had already) I have been in a Middle Earth cloud of happiness ever since.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 4:45pm

Post #23 of 28 (146 views)
Shortcut
Where there's life there's hope, and need of muffins. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 5:00pm

Post #24 of 28 (155 views)
Shortcut
"of brethil and the king under the mountain" [In reply to] Can't Post

coming to a great wood of dense shadow, the dwarf and his companion pulled up their ponies and dismounted. they feared foul things lurked in the forest, and would not venture through it at night, 'tho the stars were bright and hung above them like a field of silver flowers.

it had rained well the night before, and wood and twig, leaf and tinder, were all thoroughly wet. not a bit of dwarven woodcraft could breathe life into a campfire, and brethil, 'tho skilled, fared no better.

resigned to spending a night where the stars would grant the only light, thorin and brethil made light supper of muffins that she herself had made. a light, crumbly sort, studded with a sweet, small berry. the two ate in silence, and thought their thoughts.

cheers : )

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 5:46pm

Post #25 of 28 (136 views)
Shortcut
If muffins be the food of love, eat on! [In reply to] Can't Post

A wonderful excerpt dear friend!!!! AngelicHeart Thank you!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.