Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tom Cruise still involved in The Hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 5:32pm

Post #1 of 49 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Tom Cruise still involved in The Hobbit? Can't Post

As everyone knows United Artists owns the domestic distribution rights for The Hobbit. MGM owns UA, and recently resurrected the moribund studio to produce “prestige” films, such as The Hobbit. MGM also hired Tom Cruise to run it.

As head of United Artists Tom Cruise would have some hand in producing, perhaps directing, and maybe even starring in The Hobbit.

However, the first UA project, "Lions for Lambs" starring Cruise, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep, bombed terribly at the box office. Another UA project starring Cruise, “Valkyrie”, directed by Bryan Singer (“X-Men”, “X2”, “Superman Returns”) is reportedly vastly over-budget ($90 million and rising). And yet another prestige UA project, Oliver Stone’s “Pinkville”, a film starring Bruce Willis about the investigation into the My Lai Massacre during the Vietnam War, has been delayed in production.

United Artists doesn't seem to be doing too well!

So perhaps it’s not too much of a surprise that Cruise’s next project will not be for UA, but for Columbia Pictures, Peter Berg’s “Edwin A. Salt”. Is Cruise jumping the UA ship?

Still, I note Columbia Pictures is owned by Sony, and Sony owns a part of MGM, which owns UA, which owns the domestic distribution rights for The Hobbit.

So there’s still a possibility for Tom Cruise as Bilbo, and possibly even as director.

Only time will tell!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Patty
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 49 (983 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone, you are a horrible rumor -monger... [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the worst rumor you could have started. I love it!Cool

For Gondor!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 5:59pm

Post #3 of 49 (927 views)
Shortcut
Moi? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I say anything that wasn't true?

It'll be interesting if MTV picks this up.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 27 2007, 6:03pm)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 49 (914 views)
Shortcut
Oh Darkstone, stop! [In reply to] Can't Post

it's good to have you back.

I think I would just hurl if Tom Cruise were to be in any way connected with these movies. I might even consider not seeing them if he were to act in them.

For Gondor!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 6:09pm

Post #5 of 49 (890 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

it's good to have you back

Thank you kindly. Nice to be back.

I think I would just hurl if Tom Cruise were to be in any way connected with these movies.

As head of United Artists, he is.Wink

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 49 (888 views)
Shortcut
I think this is a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, people are drawn to Tom Cruise movies. And after LOTR, they might need a push to come back to Middle Earth. They've seen the end of the story, why come back and pay $9 for the beginning of it (or $18)? The Hobbit: starring Tom Cruise is sure to attract people of all ages alongside the geek crowd. Look what he did for Last Samurai, Vanilla Sky, and Minority Report. Who really would have gone to see those if Cruise hadn't starred? I think we should petition to make darn sure he gets a role! Who's with me?

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 6:12pm

Post #7 of 49 (856 views)
Shortcut
He's got the stature to play Bilbo. / [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 27 2007, 6:15pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 27 2007, 6:23pm

Post #8 of 49 (846 views)
Shortcut
LOL! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

priell3
Lorien

Dec 27 2007, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 49 (857 views)
Shortcut
You and me both! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's good to have you back.

I think I would just hurl if Tom Cruise were to be in any way connected with these movies. I might even consider not seeing them if he were to act in them.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 27 2007, 6:52pm

Post #10 of 49 (862 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad to see [In reply to] Can't Post

that you didn't injure your funny bone in that accident. You are a treasure, Darkstone! :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Letters from the Goddess
Firithyleleni
The Last Song of Leleni Mihaiën

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2007, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 49 (871 views)
Shortcut
Stone him! [In reply to] Can't Post

*brandishes pitchfork and torch*

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

orcbane
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 49 (864 views)
Shortcut
Key to Success ? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know I don't think I have actually seen a single movie with Tom Cruise in it. But he does seem to be a popular actor and is not too old maybe.

With the landmines outnumbering the refreshment stands maybe 8:1 in these film projects, perhaps he is the man to lead the effort to victory. I will admit I often read uncomplimentary things about him by Lotr Fans, more bad then good, maybe 8:0 against. But frankly it is nearly always of a vitrolic nature, and without any logical supporting statements.

For some reason whenever I hear Cruise mentioned it also reminds me of Tom Hanks. Not that they are similiar, but their time in films coincided. I have seen Tom Hanks films. He seems pretty good. Maybe he could be Bilbo ?

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 27 2007, 8:39pm

Post #13 of 49 (854 views)
Shortcut
All hail Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the best thing I've read since someone over on TORC threw us a "Quentin Tarantino directing" scenario and gave us examples of Samuel L Jackson dialogue with a ME twist.
(Example: What country you from?" "What?" 'What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak Sindarin in What?" ..."Sindarin, Orc-breath, DO YOU SPEAK IT??" ."What does Saruman look like?" .."Does he look like a Hobbit?" "no." "Then why did you try to woo him like a Hobbit? Saruman don't like to be wooed by anyone, except Mrs Saruman." that whole scene.)

I applaud ANYONE with a sense of humor about this!"
"May your beer be laid upon with a enchantment of surpassing excellence for 7 yrs!"

*rolls over laughing*

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 27 2007, 8:41pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2007, 9:03pm

Post #14 of 49 (839 views)
Shortcut
I liked Last Samurai... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but Martin Freeman for Bilbo!

(Don't put him as Bard either. Yuck).

Welcome back, Darkstone :)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lossefalme
Gondor

Dec 27 2007, 9:10pm

Post #15 of 49 (804 views)
Shortcut
Well, any connection to TomKat will have 'em lining up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, who better? He certainly is the right height and he already has a reputation for being rather odd. I think it's perfect! Tongue

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 27 2007, 9:13pm

Post #16 of 49 (803 views)
Shortcut
But how does he look in a wig and brass buttons? // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 27 2007, 11:23pm

Post #17 of 49 (798 views)
Shortcut
Stop, your'e scaring me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 1:48am

Post #18 of 49 (791 views)
Shortcut
Bwaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Cruise's involvement is the one thing that would guarantee that wild horses couldn't drag me to see The Hobbit, though. Gahh!

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 28 2007, 1:52am

Post #19 of 49 (784 views)
Shortcut
Lining up for what? [In reply to] Can't Post

To get out? Tongue

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 28 2007, 2:54am

Post #20 of 49 (819 views)
Shortcut
It really is a puzzle to me . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy who was box office gold became box office poison not because of his acting but because of his tabloid life.

Mission Impossible III was a fine action film and he did a fine acting job. It was far superior to MI:1 and MI:2 and made less money than both. Why? I guess his public image is the primary reason.

He is a solid actor and it could be argued he is much better than that.

He is charming and disarming in "Top Gun," sympathetic and pathetic in "Vanilla Sky," scary and brutal in the very good "Collateral," solid to excellent in the flawed "The Last Samuri," and all the folks who hate him here must have not contributed to the box office mega-hits "Jerry Macguire," "A Few Good Men," "The Firm," or "Rain Man."

He was nominated for Oscar's best actor three times for "Magnolia," "Born On The Forth of July" and "Jerry Macguire" and has played in a geek movies such as, "Interview With a Vampire."

I don't want to cast him in the Hobbit (although TORn joked about it a lot at its DragonCon presentation in Atlanta) but I don't think he would be so terrible or ruin the film. There is a lot of evidence he can act.

Just because he dumped Kidman, kidnapped Katie Holmes and brainwashed her and hangs out with David Beckham, he is suddenly only in boring movies that nobody wants to see? I don't get it. Oh, and parts of "Minority Report" were golden!

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Dec 28 2007, 5:04am

Post #21 of 49 (760 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

The very thought makes me feel ill.

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Dec 28 2007, 5:20am

Post #22 of 49 (776 views)
Shortcut
I, for one, never did like him. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been able to put my finger on it, but he has just *always* bothered me. Like raw onions. I just don't like him, never did. The tabloid stuff just cemented it for me.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2007, 5:25am

Post #23 of 49 (768 views)
Shortcut
Not happening [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As everyone knows United Artists owns the domestic distribution rights for The Hobbit. MGM owns UA, and recently resurrected the moribund studio to produce “prestige” films, such as The Hobbit. MGM also hired Tom Cruise to run it.

As head of United Artists Tom Cruise would have some hand in producing, perhaps directing, and maybe even starring in The Hobbit.

In fact, according to the arrangement, New Line will distribute in the States and MGM worldwide. Besides, as far as I know, the rights aren't in UA's hands. They were once in thier hands, but those are the ones that Saentz now has, hence the ones held by New Line. MGM holds other parts of the rights, but are not, in any way linked to UA.

Besides the ones that hold all the power here are Jackson and Shaye. Perhaps mainly Jackson. According to what has been reported, he's got vetos in creative matters. I assure you he has nearly absolute control, considering he took $40M while he was suing for $100M

Tom Cruise won't come remotely close to The Hobbit, rest assured.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Dec 28 2007, 7:34am

Post #24 of 49 (748 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the Byzantine maze of Hollywood shell companies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, heh, heh! Yes this is delicious rumor-mongering, but I'm pleased to say it's no more than that!

I shall boldly step up onto the roof and proclaim into the cold morning air: Unless he's cast by PJ & Co. (perhaps in a rictus-grinning, couch-hopping Tom Bombadil cameo!), Tom Cruise will not have anything to do with The Hobbit.

Why do I say that? Well, he's just not in a position of power over the Hobbit movies. While Cruise holds a position of power within UA (along with long-time producing partner Paula Wagner), he does not hold a position of power within MGM. They're affiliated, but they're not the same company.

Here's how it breaks down: UA is considered a small niche unit within the larger MGM ... which in turn is considered a small niche unit within the even larger Sony Pictures. (I swear, these companies are like Russian nesting dolls!)

So in any case, The Hobbit will be produced by MGM (and NL) but not by UA. UA is another level down from MGM.

Cruise first came into the UA picture when he and producing partner Paula Wagner were dropped from their deal with Paramount (due largely to his declining box office numbers and couch-jumping antics) in 2006. So, they (along with several other investors) paid a whole pile of money in order to resurrect the then-defunct UA name. The resulting company is essentially a small production shingle, with a plan to produce three or four movies a year. Some starring Cruise, some not. (And yes, Lions for Lambs, their first effort under the resurrected UA banner, bombed horribly this year.)

If you'd like to see a really thorough (and often confusing) account of UA's long and often troubled history, check out this Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Artists

But if you're wondering what Mr. Couch-Hopper might look like in The Hobbit ... may I direct your attention to this photo (by Annie Leibovitz, no less!). It's from the press kit for Ridley Scott's corny and baffling 1985 misfire, "Legend." (Though I must admit the character design of Tim Curry's Lord of Darkness is pretty freakin' awesome!) Anyhow ... check him out ...

My, my, my, Tom. That hemline is rather immodest, don't you think?

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

hatster
Rohan

Dec 28 2007, 12:50pm

Post #25 of 49 (774 views)
Shortcut
Thank you SK [In reply to] Can't Post

I do get a bit tired of how the media tells us what we want and the masses follow.

He's not my favorite, but honestly, I find myself looking for his work just to thumb my nose at the folks I feel are trying to manipulate me.

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.