Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ian Mckellen has finished shooting
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Azaghl
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 41 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Ian Mckellen has finished shooting Can't Post

Moments ago on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=1&theater

Gandalf <3

*Baruk khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!*

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jun 28 2013, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 41 (930 views)
Shortcut
Does this mean no 2014 pick-ups? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they had pick-ups before each LOTR film and had assumed they would for The Hobbit as well. I guess everyone was scheduled in for these pick-ups but not 2014 as the deals were set before the split. Or maybe they simply just don't need them and wanted to get everything in one go this time around.

That aside, end of an era.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:33pm

Post #3 of 41 (933 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to think there will be pick-ups next year. I can't believe someone like Jackson will be entirely satisfied.

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 41 (881 views)
Shortcut
The End of an Era....... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Sir Ian McK for all his hard work- for me, he really has been the quintessential Gandalf as I'd imagined him.Smile

Totally off topic, but I noticed whilst typing this- all of these people who have knighthoods (not all for these films I stress)- Ian McK, Ian H, Christopher Lee, PJ, Richard Taylor, but there was never a knighthood for Tolkien- not even a posthumous one! I guess he died before his works had quite the wide fanbase they do now, but even so......just saying!Unsure

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

tolktolk
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 12:43pm

Post #5 of 41 (910 views)
Shortcut
Adam Brown [In reply to] Can't Post

has tweeted this:

Tonight we saw Gandalf say farewell to middle earth... weird and emotional @IanMcKellen #LEGEND

I also saw Graham McTavish mention that some people were already leaving and going home - I wonder who else will be going and who will be staying till the very end.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 28 2013, 1:26pm

Post #6 of 41 (789 views)
Shortcut
How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

But brilliant as well. What a journey the whole cast and crew have been on, from 1999 onwards. All I can say is "congratulations and well done".

Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 1:46pm

Post #7 of 41 (750 views)
Shortcut
IAN, at least for Bomby.. [In reply to] Can't Post

was PJ's ROCK.

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jun 28 2013, 1:48pm

Post #8 of 41 (705 views)
Shortcut
Love him :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Ian looks really sad in the photo. What a great legacy and a perfect Gandalf! I unexpectedly cried a bit on seeing this on fb! He means so much to so many Evil

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 1:49pm

Post #9 of 41 (764 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if this means the BO5A has been shot and assume any [In reply to] Can't Post

journey home scenes. I suppose some of he other character battle scenes could be left to shoot.

TariArFiniel
The Shire

Jun 28 2013, 2:00pm

Post #10 of 41 (667 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sir Ian looks really sad in the photo. What a great legacy and a perfect Gandalf! I unexpectedly cried a bit on seeing this on fb! He means so much to so many

My husband and I expected to cry, and so we did. We can only say thank you from the deep of our hearts.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 2:04pm

Post #11 of 41 (660 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir McKellen has definitely been one of the shining lights of the ME film franchise, so I'd like to say thanks and wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 2:54pm

Post #12 of 41 (613 views)
Shortcut
He looks like he just finished a battle scene with dirt and marks on [In reply to] Can't Post

his forehead and face....

Noria
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 3:48pm

Post #13 of 41 (545 views)
Shortcut
The perfect Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

and one of the best things about LotR and The Hobbit.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:53pm

Post #14 of 41 (534 views)
Shortcut
What a sweet picture [In reply to] Can't Post

of both of them. A fantastic creative relationship with so much heart in it from both of them. As other have said, as our Gandalf Sir Ian has been rather a rock for us all who love the films. Perfection without reservation. A big *Thank You* to Sir Ian (And to SPJ for the inspired casting choice...waaaay back when.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 41 (513 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

14 years to be associated with a single project is impressive. I think when PJ is finished he will have something like 17 years invested in the LotR and the Hobbit.

Elutherian
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:28pm

Post #16 of 41 (509 views)
Shortcut
As someone who fell in love.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... with Gandalf when I saw FOTR at the ripe age of twelve, forever changing me as a person, and cementing Gandalf as my favorite onscreen character.... this is very emtional.

Ian McKellen is Gandalf, and Gandalf is Ian McKellan.

Thank you, Sir Ian. You have touched the lives of many.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Imladris18
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 4:40pm

Post #17 of 41 (480 views)
Shortcut
I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil. [In reply to] Can't Post

The perfect Gandalf, imo.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:55pm

Post #18 of 41 (458 views)
Shortcut
Oh no [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm gunna be heartbroken watching There an Back Again!!!! Unsure

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 4:57pm

Post #19 of 41 (485 views)
Shortcut
British literature is dominated by an urban elite. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien had a massive fan base when he died. However, the fact that the poor quality fantasy genre attached itself to Tolkien's mythological folk tales, and the fact that he does not deal with the obsessions of middle class urbanites, and the fact that such people - see G. Greer for typical example, are insecure about their own work - much of which is style over substance, and are terrified by anything magical or 'childish' - has led to a situation in Britain where Tolkien is appreciated by everyone except the literary community.

Go into Waterstones and look in the Classics section for him - you won't find him there (unless things have changed recently). He's in the fantasy ghetto - equivalent to the finger painting section of the art gallery.

In Reply To
Thank you Sir Ian McK for all his hard work- for me, he really has been the quintessential Gandalf as I'd imagined him.Smile

Totally off topic, but I noticed whilst typing this- all of these people who have knighthoods (not all for these films I stress)- Ian McK, Ian H, Christopher Lee, PJ, Richard Taylor, but there was never a knighthood for Tolkien- not even a posthumous one! I guess he died before his works had quite the wide fanbase they do now, but even so......just saying!Unsure

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 4:58pm

Post #20 of 41 (517 views)
Shortcut
Hoping his last scene is [In reply to] Can't Post

tea with bilbo and balin.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lindele
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 5:01pm

Post #21 of 41 (430 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 5:10pm

Post #22 of 41 (461 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Right after the Scouring of the Shire 2.0 of course! Tongue

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 6:23pm

Post #23 of 41 (398 views)
Shortcut
Well, there is the large stretch between the end of LOTR and [In reply to] Can't Post

the final studio sorting out for The Hobbit, but yes, it has been a long and winding road for him and all involved...fortunately for us.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 7:48pm

Post #24 of 41 (371 views)
Shortcut
Carefull [In reply to] Can't Post

dont give jackson any ideas, we know he sometimes pores over these boards.Tongue

Youre treading on thin iceWink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 8:00pm

Post #25 of 41 (367 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised no one has speculated about the cuts and bruises on his face [In reply to] Can't Post

Are they from BoFA, or Dol Guldur?

And will he have his arm in a sling as well?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.