Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Has anyone noticed the thread count?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 125 (770 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone noticed the thread count? Can't Post

And I don't mean bedsheets.

I don't consider the boards at TORN to compete with each other, and don't want to since many/most of us post on all boards, but for comparison's sake, the Reading Room has usually had fewer threads than the LOTR board. Just recently it's crossed the point of having more threads and replies than LOTR. We are a busy bunch of bookworms! I really enjoy reading what everyone here has to say, and am glad we have such a smart, friendly group.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 2:59pm

Post #2 of 125 (324 views)
Shortcut
Movies have more new stuff to discuss than the books [In reply to] Can't Post

(and posts about the books are often more in-depth.)

I assume the old folks have discussed everything they had in mind about the books eons ago, and you always need new/newish participants to resurrect the discussion. For that purpose the TORn forum format is excellent: new discussions are always made of the same old topics, but because of there being no weight of the older posts, everyone is free to start from the same clean, equal table.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 125 (313 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mentioning bedsheets in this thread? Certain persons in loose flowing bathrobes in another (and a cruel false alarm at that)? Really some of us don't need any help in misbehaving and further debasing our reputations. [I *can* hear you snickering BTW.]

Back to the OP though - seeing the RR so busy and active is an immense pleasure. I love the scope of the things we have discussed in recent time too - excellent questions, topics and discussions all around.
As far as Sil talks go, a heartfelt *thank you* to you CG for organizing and moving us forward. Cool

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2013, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 125 (289 views)
Shortcut
Yes! And keep up the good work, folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much enjoy lurking here. But I've read the Silm only once, some 30 years ago so I am leaving the posting to others Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 8:05pm

Post #5 of 125 (273 views)
Shortcut
Glad to have you here and glad you enjoy following the discussions, Arith. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 8:08pm

Post #6 of 125 (273 views)
Shortcut
Nice to know you are around! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

demnation
Rohan

Jun 27 2013, 8:35pm

Post #7 of 125 (277 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to post more in other boards, but I spend the most time in the RR. Glad to see it so busy, and I hope it stays that way!

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 27 2013, 8:48pm

Post #8 of 125 (287 views)
Shortcut
I'm delighted [In reply to] Can't Post

to see the RR experiencing a renaissance. I only wish I had more time to spare to join in. Keep it up, bookworms! Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 2:28am

Post #9 of 125 (255 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you Demnation! [In reply to] Can't Post

And to know you are around and about! I second your hope about it staying busy - I do believe it will. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 2:36am

Post #10 of 125 (253 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to see the RR experiencing a renaissance. I only wish I had more time to spare to join in. Keep it up, bookworms! Smile

demnation
Rohan

Jun 28 2013, 2:40am

Post #11 of 125 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I find my Silmarillion knowledge lacking ( for the time being), but when you fine folk roll back around to LOTR, I'm sure I'll have a lot to say.

My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself- J.R.R. Tolkien

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 2:49am

Post #12 of 125 (245 views)
Shortcut
dang, dang, dang... [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time i noticed your thread title, i was going to crack wise re thread count and bed sheets. unfair!

echoing brethil in thanking you for using all the talents at the disposal of randalf to rekindle the flame here -- but a careful flame... we are, after all, in the reading room.

funny, 'tho.... by the time i showed up (which was recently.... i'm a newbie...) things already seemed well-active.

and love all the people whose intelligent conversation and kind natures make this place a +beautiful+ place to be, and one i actively look forward to as part of my day, even if i don't have time to post.

also, could someone please explain to me what the bathrobe reference is? i'm getting the feeling i'm missing out on a bit of vicarious, naughty pleasure.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 2:51am

Post #13 of 125 (242 views)
Shortcut
demnation, don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

all you need here is to have read the thing in question once, and have an opinion. : ) so yours is always welcome, whenever you'd like to share. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2013, 3:24am

Post #14 of 125 (242 views)
Shortcut
I believe it was a reference to [In reply to] Can't Post

this post

Which relates to posts such as this one, and others...it would seem that we have a Richard Armitage "invasion" of sorts going on in here!

Hey, anyone want to invite him over? He is after all, a Tolkien fan like us! Smile

(*waits to hear the shrieks as certain RR ladies realize RA could be posting here while sitting in front of his computer in his bathrobe...*)

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:26am

Post #15 of 125 (232 views)
Shortcut
Bathrobe reference: CG's "Adventures in Manseling" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

also, could someone please explain to me what the bathrobe reference is? i'm getting the feeling i'm missing out on a bit of vicarious, naughty pleasure.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=620452;#620452

Have a look...these boys and their false alarm jokes. They'll think its all fun and games until Evangeline Lilly wanders through looking for someone to rub sunscreen on her fair Elvish skin, and we tell her to go over to TH instead.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 3:34am

Post #16 of 125 (236 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

i have these spurts of thought that he +is+ lurking here...

..and finds me articulate, thoughtful, compassionate, funny, kind to animals, having good table manners, and with excellent posture. also, i hope he forgives me for spelling color with an "or."

the first time i heard him speak as himself, was in a clip in which he referenced the nauglimir. he earned +major+ points with that.

amusing chortles aside, i have often wondered if any of those that were involved with any of the films lurk or post here, especially in the reading room. many of them are sincere lovers and enjoyers of tolkien's works, skill with words, artful creations.

when i think of this as a possibility, i cringe to think what they might be reading on the more volatile parts of the boards.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:36am

Post #17 of 125 (238 views)
Shortcut
Our all seeing Modar... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this post

Which relates to posts such as this one, and others...it would seem that we have a Richard Armitage "invasion" of sorts going on in here!
Hey, anyone want to invite him over? He is after all, a Tolkien fan like us! Smile

(*waits to hear the shrieks as certain RR ladies realize RA could be posting here while sitting in front of his computer in his bathrobe...*)

Angelic

Ahhh, the eyes of the Modar see all...Cool

THIS bit was fun too. Though I think we were all very tired at the time. Not that its an excuse.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...t_time;so=DESC;mh=25

Now Skype and the bathrobe is *all* sorts of potential.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 3:45am

Post #18 of 125 (224 views)
Shortcut
thanks, brethil! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

must research...

and +you are so correct+......

well, hello lads -- i have it on good authority that evangeline lily had a terribly hard day on set, and is now getting a deep tissue massage by the willowy female elven flautist and the shapely female elven harpist from the rivendell dinner scene.

also, i have it on the +greatest+ authority that she is just mad -- just mad -- for geeky males who make puns, make slander, and post thoughtful threads in the reading room.

i hope my disclosing these things did not unnerve you in any way, and you have not crashed your cars into an ent or something.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jun 28 2013, 3:49am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:53am

Post #19 of 125 (218 views)
Shortcut
I share the cringe with you Telpemairo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

when i think of this as a possibility, i cringe to think what they might be reading on the more volatile parts of the boards.

I feel the same. I am sure there is an industry standard of thick skin for a publicly reviewed profession, but at the same time these works tend I feel to be a bit more personal for some involved - not necessarily all - and for those I feel badly given the animosity we sometimes see; and of course we are all human for goodness sakes. I am informed other places are worse - but I wouldn't know I don't go anywhere else on the net except for birding sites or medical references. Nothing related to film or entertainment or social media (as it is called.). Might be for the best then, I think it would upset me.
I will say on a positive note (my needle is again stuck in another groove) how much I do love the positive vibe we have in the Fellowship of the Room. Angelic

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 3:55am

Post #20 of 125 (214 views)
Shortcut
((**applause**)) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh nicely done there. SlyWink

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2013, 3:59am

Post #21 of 125 (215 views)
Shortcut
i missed [In reply to] Can't Post

... the edit window.

i was going to write, "langorous, deep-tissue massage....."

dang. (and, indeed.)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 28 2013, 4:07am

Post #22 of 125 (209 views)
Shortcut
It's fine, they will see it as they read on... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
missing ... the edit window.

i was going to write, "langorous, deep-tissue massage....."

They like things sort of in stages, like a gift being opened. I'm convinced that's why they love things involving laces and whatnot. They enjoy the unwrapping part.

fealoki
The Shire

Jun 28 2013, 4:14am

Post #23 of 125 (214 views)
Shortcut
O Worthiest of Brethils -- [In reply to] Can't Post

O Worthiest of Brethils --

This dragon would beg you to notice
Scales shining, teeth gleaming, wings enveloping.

Not all that is posted is bitter
Not all who lurk are lost
Some not human, but critter
Who like their humans with sauce.

Posters here, there are, who are made not of flesh, but of fire.

Most obsequious grandiloquence --

Fealoki

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 5:45am

Post #24 of 125 (196 views)
Shortcut
Didst thou think the eyes of the Modar Tower were blind? [In reply to] Can't Post

They have seen more than we knowest! Sorry- I've used that one before, haven't I ?

RA could even be posting wearing a kilt- and little else?WinkEvil Shall we send him an RR one?AngelicAngelic Maybe he is in league with CG and No Wiz to catch us unawares by sudden gratuitous mentions? As for Skype........!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 6:02am

Post #25 of 125 (205 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid that some of the cast or crew must lurk here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Witness the turmoil over on TH board because of the article in Empire magazine, where PJ says something like " I'll probably lose my invite to the One Ring.net party, but I' rather enjoying making changes." From this it seems likely that somebody has been looking at all the various criticisms and reporting back- I'd be very surprised if the team did not have their spies anyway, official or unofficial. It also sounds like PJ isn't taking too much notice of what is said and is going his own way anyway. Criticisms are valid and all have the right to make them, but some of the personal attacks on PJ, PB and various cast and crew members are just rude and probably counteractive if (as some posters have stated) they think PJ will read/hear about their concerns and change the remaining films as a result. To paraphrase Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice, when she refuses Mr Darcy, "Your criticisms affected me in no other way, other than to spare me the anguish I would have suffered in ignoring you all, had you conducted yourselves in a more gentleman like (or ladylike) manner!"

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.