Monsters University
View Results (47 votes)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 8:43pm

Post #1 of 50 (522 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Pixar film Can't Post

With the release of Pixar's latest film Monsters University, I thought it was time to talk about Pixar! Their films have been mostly well-received, with 10 of them having a score greater than 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. With that said, how do you feel about the films? Do you have a favorite one? If so, which is it?

I think my three top are Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. The Toy Story trilogy is right up there next to them, but I don't think I could choose just one of those over either of the others. I really am having a hard time choosing... gah! Crazy I think I'd have to ultimately pick...The Incredibles. Whew, that was hard!

An honorable mention has to go to A Bug's Life as I feel that one often goes overlooked.

Least favorite would have to be Cars. I've never been a racing or car fan, so this one just didn't grab me. Cars 2 was a little better, but still not great.

Anyway, off to you all now! What do you think? Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 27 2013, 9:00pm

Post #2 of 50 (391 views)
Shortcut
It was a toss up between Up and Wall-E. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I went for Up in the end - the first 5 minutes of the film justify its vote. An animated film has never had such an impact like that before. Wink As for Wall-E, I think it gets better and better with each viewing - I hated it the first time round! Toy Story, Toy Story 3 and Brave then probably come next.

At the bottom of my list (if I had one) would be:
- A Bug's Life
- Cars 2
- The Incredibles
- Ratatouille
- Monsters Inc. (and probably it's sequel/prequel)
- Toy Story 2

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 50 (401 views)
Shortcut
About WALL-E [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've only seen it once, and it was pretty forgettable. It was actually just on TV yesterday, and my little brother was watching it. I didn't pay much attention. Maybe I should give it another chance?

I'm flabbergasted that you put Monsters, Inc. and The Incredibles so far down! ShockedUnimpressed

I have to agree about the first five minutes of Up, though. Those were fantastic! And the rest of the movie was quite endearing Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 27 2013, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 50 (388 views)
Shortcut
Oh, definitely. Even if it is to admire the CGI/animation work of Wall-E. [In reply to] Can't Post

The storyline is pretty boring, but like most Pixar (and Disney films) it's visually stimulating.

I saw The Incredibles while on a "date" I'd rather forget about. That's why it appears so low on my list. Monsters, Inc. is ok, but that's about it. The trailers for the prequel look terrible. Crazy

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 50 (384 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the imagery is always lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not enough to keep me engaged through a boring story. Maybe I'll give it another try some day, though.

Oh, that's too bad about The Incredibles, because, well, it's incredible! Tongue

I love Monsters, Inc. and was so worried that the prequel was going to just be horrible. Thankfully, I had such low expectations that I came away thoroughly entertained. It's definitely not one of their classics, but I do like it quite a bit.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2013, 9:25pm

Post #6 of 50 (374 views)
Shortcut
Up, up and away [In reply to] Can't Post

though The Incredibles is a close second.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 27 2013, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 50 (365 views)
Shortcut
Up [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite characters of all the Pixar films is Russel in Up. He's the epitome of everything that is "kid" and I love it!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 27 2013, 11:11pm

Post #8 of 50 (366 views)
Shortcut
Monsters Inc #1 [In reply to] Can't Post

then Up and TS. Pixar is a great bunch of people. My son wrote to John Lasseter a few years ago and he got a beautiful letter in return as well as a Lasseter signed poster from TS2.

Would have to say my least fave was Ratatouille. Cars is pretty low on the list too.

(Doesn't count as a film but I love the Shorts too.)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 27 2013, 11:29pm

Post #9 of 50 (357 views)
Shortcut
Its a tie between Monsters Inc/Finding Nemo and The Toy Story trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen all of the films, but loved all the ones I've seen Pixar are genius's (apart from Cars...meh), though I am a tad disturbed that even Pixar is jumping on the sequel bandwagon do we really need to see 'Finding Dory' and 'Planes'...sigh.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:19am

Post #10 of 50 (350 views)
Shortcut
How nice of him! [In reply to] Can't Post

The short films are generally really good and as entertaining as the films themselves. I love the birds one Laugh

I'm not a huge fan of Ratatouille either. It's a fine film, but not one of my favorites. I know I decided on The Incredibles in my initial post, but I really wanna go back and say Monsters, Inc. instead! I haven't voted yet, so maybe I'll do that Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:23am

Post #11 of 50 (343 views)
Shortcut
Toy Story trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely love how Toy Story 3 was written and directed to actually feel like it was a necessary conclusion to the other two films. I now can't imagine not having it as the emotional climax of the trilogy. It's so wonderful, especially the inferno scene and the giving the toys away scene.

I, too, am getting hesitant about all the sequels they're starting to churn out. Cars 2 I would love to have never gotten, and while Monsters University was good, I could have lived without it. I'm feeling similarly about Finding Dory, though I'll reserve full judgment until I see it, of course. As for Planes, that's actually not a Pixar film. Disney is doing it all on their own. And it looks boring.

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 28 2013, 12:39am

Post #12 of 50 (341 views)
Shortcut
So Monsters University was a bit of a let down then? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably still see it for nostaglia reasons though. Toy Story trilgoy was great-but they were the only ones that needed or deserved sequels. Finding Dory sounds utterly pointless.

I still haven't read The Wanderings of Hurin...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 28 2013, 12:47am

Post #13 of 50 (339 views)
Shortcut
No, not at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. I went in with almost zero expectations, though, so that really helped.

Maybe I should watch it again sometime with an eye for how it relates to the original. On first viewing, though, it seemed like a fun story and a good time, but perhaps not necessary after the brilliance of the first. I hope that makes sense. I'm definitely going to be getting it when it comes out on blu-ray, so I definitely did find it enjoyable. I just think that Pixar didn't need to be in the business of sequels, and Monsters University didn't change my mind. I feel really contradictory, but I hope you get my meaning Crazy

Oh, get crackin'! It's utterly brilliant!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 5:24am

Post #14 of 50 (327 views)
Shortcut
The Incredibles [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big superhero fan so I thought Pixar doing superheroes was phenomenal. It's a great action adventure movie with a brilliantly written family unit at the center. I love how their powers reflect their personalities and role in the family.

To be honest, I'm a fan of almost all of Pixar's movies (except the Cars films. This seems to be often the case with Pixar fans). But The Incredibles is by far my favorite.

As for Monsters University, I thought it was a bit underwhelming. Not bad per se but nowhere near the level of the original and it trucked out most of the college movie cliches.

Elwen
Lorien

Jun 28 2013, 1:37pm

Post #15 of 50 (319 views)
Shortcut
Up until a little while ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been Wall-E, and it may still be, but my favorite of the moment is Brave, because it has sparked some excellent mother/daughter conversations with my headstrong 9 year old, and sparked a lot of conversations with my 2 year old, who insists now that any running water must be drank from like the fire falls.

Up was beautiful and one of the very few movies that has ever made Mr. Elwen cry.

Really, I enjoy a lot of Pixar movies, but must admit that I'm not a devotee of either Cars or Toy Story.

Ref
Rivendell

Jun 28 2013, 3:04pm

Post #16 of 50 (317 views)
Shortcut
RE: Ardamire [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for Up. I have never cried watching a film before, but the first 10-20 minutes of Up had me quietly crying away. It was so beautiful and utterly heart-breaking.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2013, 10:08pm

Post #17 of 50 (307 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for "Up", for the same reason. As the movie started, I am thinking "Oh, OK cute flick about an old guy and a boy scout who have an adventure. The boys will love it, just like they love all Pixar movies I take them to. " Five minutes later I am wondering how it is possible that I am crying my eyes out in an animated movie which features a talking dog and that silly GPS joke.

In addition to the stunning start, I loved the very original characters and the duel with the walking sticks.

It was a tough choice, though, "Ratatouille" and "Toy Story 3" are soooo close for me. The former was my favorite when I first saw it - I am a bit of a foodie and like to try out new recipes and restaurants, so it was very enjoyable to see a zany adventure the kids could love, that also got a lot right about one of my hobbies. All the "Toy Story" films are sentimental favorites - as a student I took my youngest sister (she is more than a decade younger) to see it in theaters and it blew me away, and so is a cool memory of something we could both enjoy together. I think #3 is the best though.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jun 28 2013, 10:13pm)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Jun 29 2013, 4:50pm

Post #18 of 50 (288 views)
Shortcut
Oh that would have to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cars! I love, love ,love that movie. I seem to be alone in this but oh well. Unsure

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 6:15pm

Post #19 of 50 (285 views)
Shortcut
Wholeheartedly agree [In reply to] Can't Post

with just about everything you said. I just disagree with your assessment of Monsters University. I had no expectations, so I enjoyed it, though I agree it did have the general college movie cliches. It's certainly nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 6:28pm

Post #20 of 50 (287 views)
Shortcut
Brave [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great that Brave has done that for you. I thought the relationship depicted in that film was excellent. And I especially liked that it didn't end up being the daughter that "won" and the mother who had to completely change. It was a nice mix of both compromising.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 6:29pm

Post #21 of 50 (284 views)
Shortcut
It was so moving! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember sitting in the theater watching that and just being heartbroken. Absolutely phenomenal beginning to such a heartwarming movie. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 29 2013, 6:32pm

Post #22 of 50 (279 views)
Shortcut
Oh well! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with being on the outside Smile

I happen to love the Star Wars prequels, and I'm sure you're aware of the flack they get. Just enjoy it because you do Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 30 2013, 3:19pm

Post #23 of 50 (270 views)
Shortcut
A tie between Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, and the Toy Story trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

All five are fantastic in their own right, so I'm not sure if I could decide between them. Also, I can't leave out Up here. So, more or less...I can't defend one more than another Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 1 2013, 7:21pm

Post #24 of 50 (274 views)
Shortcut
That's how I felt! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a very difficult decision! And I still don't think I picked the right one Crazy

Elwen
Lorien

Jul 1 2013, 7:50pm

Post #25 of 50 (267 views)
Shortcut
Indeed... I actually love the part [In reply to] Can't Post

where the mom loses her temper too. (When Merida slashes the tapestry and Elinor throws the bow in the fire.) What parent hasn't been at that point when we just lose it? We had a great conversation about how parents are people too and we get angry and do things we are sorry for.

Also the concept of taking responsibility for one's own actions is such a huge theme in that movie, and a timely one at our house.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.